Night 5 - They Hear your Words and they Flock to your Banner

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Night 5 - They Hear your Words and they Flock to your Banner

Postby Clearasday » 29 Jun 2014, 17:41:04

Your aim was true, your voice was strong. At your convincing, a new senator now knows that he too is a Duck, and he wears your colours across his heart. His strength has been added to yours and soon the Chickens will Quack. Can you take the whole coop?
THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE IS JUST CLEARASDAY.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Re: Day 5 - They Hear your Words and they Flock to your Bann

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 29 Jun 2014, 17:50:05

Well, the bad news is that Ozymandias is dead, so I'm probably not him. The good news is that I always have interesting luck with conversion games!

I'm Remus, and I have the power of the Poisoned Chicken, even though I'm also now a duck. If I get lynched, I shall bring down one of my voters with me, so ideally, we want me getting lynched instead of murdered, mauled, beaten, deep-fried, steamed, or pureed into the world's strangest half-duck, half-chicken, half-poison protein shake.

Regarding Constantine, Valerian, and probably Tiberius as well, check Constantine's multi-colored post from Day 3, wherein he ~clearly claims humanity for Tiberius while condemning Valerian. My guess is that he was converted that night, which is why he of course backtracked on that Day 4. Easy enough to use our murder powers to murder those sorts of people, though.

Known Cults: Shambling, Repute (hopefully destroyed), Blood, Masons, and now Ducks. Were it not for Diocletion, I'd think this was an Everyone's Special game - unless him just being a Chicken was the special part. I wouldn't be surprised to see 8 or even 10 cults going here, though, each with different recruitment options. Interesting that we potentially get an every-night conversion.

Assuming we're ducks-for-life (given CAD's warning about trying to leave), I don't have any problem sharing all this info with you (as well as the fact that I am *currently playing for a Duck Victory). If you want to hold off on your masked identity, though, to protect in case I get pulled, feel free (I may or may not try to puzzle it out, but I generally play masked games without trying to figure that out).

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 29 Jun 2014, 18:20:09

Wow, what a mess! My speculations are shattered and poorly done.

I was withholding my identity just long enough for me to figure out if this Duck faction was a cruel manipulation. It seemed way stronger than I would have thought. My original role was a vanilla chicken with no powers, but it's not clear if the duck reveal was planned ahead of time. From the obituaries of the cult members, I had previously guessed that there would be a healthy population of normal chickens for the cults to fight over, but it's possible that Everyone's Special and I just wasn't told of my powers. We aren't getting many details from the dead cult leaders, for instance.

I'm Marius, which is probably guessable since I noticed a few hints in my previous posts.

Good thing I didn't get Ozy, as he was killed. I hoped I'd convert a convert, but it doesn't sound like you've had any prior memberships.

Ducks-for-life is roughly correct. It's my impression that once a convert joins us, they will not be able to win with another team. It's possible I don't have a complete picture, of course, but that's what I'm going on. It's kind of one of the big reasons I'm worried about how strong this cult is, and what I'm not being told about why it's not overpowered. We get nightly conversions, nightly kill possibilities, and operational security?

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 29 Jun 2014, 18:28:01

I agree it's generally not hugely productive to try to identify masks, but since the cult's powers rely on the interplay between real name and mask name, I think it's a puzzle I need to work on. Also, clearly, I'm not very good at it. I still don't know who Nero could be except Hellheart. His long post Day 4 screamed Hellheart.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 29 Jun 2014, 19:04:53

Admetus wrote:I agree it's generally not hugely productive to try to identify masks, but since the cult's powers rely on the interplay between real name and mask name, I think it's a puzzle I need to work on. Also, clearly, I'm not very good at it. I still don't know who Nero could be except Hellheart. His long post Day 4 screamed Hellheart.

Ah, I missed the subtlety that we actually need to map masks to real accounts. I'll give the boards another read-through and see what I can come up with (and probably do so before I read your interpretation to avoid bias). Once we have the two of them, we can work from there.

I would guess that rather than being "protected" from conversion, attempted conversions of a Duck probably result in death instead. "Things will go poorly" doesn't strike me as having a happy ending. I'm going to continue playing into the hands of the other cults for a bit, chasing the seer-ish angle along and being a nice, dumb follower as best I can.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 29 Jun 2014, 19:14:09

CAD declined to clarify the order of operations, which makes me shy of trying anything fancy. We don't need to solve the mask puzzle, but the kills are targeted by original name and the conversions are targeted by mask name. It would suck to convert and immediately kill a person, one reason I picked people I thought I wouldn't tangle.

I am glad the target styles aren't flipped, though. This way we can focus on converting people I don't think are drawing lynch heat, which is public.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 29 Jun 2014, 20:37:32

OK, threw in some notes, but I didn't have much clarity. I was looking more at speech and usage patterns (people who number lists vs. lettering lists, people who use 1, 2, 3 vs. Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, people who ask for "can I get a current vote tally?" - that sort of thing. I didn't reread so much as I did a search-by-username. All meta, of course, but that's unavoidable with a masked/main scenario.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 29 Jun 2014, 21:30:56

Indeed, and it's likely that some of those things are the easiest to change to better play a mask.

Any thoughts on convert / kill? We'll see how the day goes, but my first thought is Convert Caesar and Night Kill FurinMirado. Caesar is not drawing heat, but I've been liking what I read from him. FurinMirado is a likely conversion target. I'm just worried that they may be the same person, so it might be better to go with a more sure bet, like Night Killing Visigoth.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 29 Jun 2014, 21:51:46

Admetus wrote:Indeed, and it's likely that some of those things are the easiest to change to better play a mask.

Any thoughts on convert / kill? We'll see how the day goes, but my first thought is Convert Caesar and Night Kill FurinMirado. Caesar is not drawing heat, but I've been liking what I read from him. FurinMirado is a likely conversion target. I'm just worried that they may be the same person, so it might be better to go with a more sure bet, like Night Killing Visigoth.

Guess it depends on how the lynch votes go. Valerian[rekard] should be continuing to draw some lynch votes regularly, but I need to see where Ozy fit into vote cycles. Agreed that Caesar is in the Furin ~range, might also be Omega.

I wouldn't be opposed to converting Cincinnatus, and killing either rekard or sphenodont - I strongly suspect those two of being in a cult. The problem is going to be when we get to the quiet folks, so we may want to stab out at the quieter players instead to see what we get.

I'm also not yet reading Ryvvn strongly in any of these posts, but might be another option for the more vocalists: Omega, Ryvvn, Rictus, Furin, RaveBomb, maybe ThatPJ.

Hmmm... recruit Caesar, try a kill on either sphenodont or a quieter player (Aldax, Wasabi, maybe stigmata - who might be Pompey, now that I think about it)? They might not be cultists, but we'll never get strong reads.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 29 Jun 2014, 22:46:18

I'd been thinking Romulus was Ryvvn because Ryvvn tends to add more emotion to his posts when he's a wolf/cultist.

Had some other thoughts regarding targets but they all proved to be silly after looking at them further. Guess it's that time of night.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 08:09:33

For now:

Retraction! Convert -> Caesar
Retraction! Kill -> Aldax

But I'd like to defer to Admetus on both of those.

I'm really thinking we'll need to try killing the quieter folks to get any kind of read on them, and that we might want to use that more for the seering aspect than the killing. Then again, if everyone has a similar mechanic, we're going to see the number of deaths skyrocketing quickly. The ones I'm going to have the most trouble reading are probably Wasabi, Aldax, and maybe stigmata or ThatPJ.
Last edited by DastardlyOldMan on 30 Jun 2014, 11:43:05, edited 1 time in total.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 08:13:51

So, I didn't play or read last game - was anyone actively working on vote trackers (beyond Hellheart and maybe Okaros)?

I keep going back to the vote-tracking results from Domitian, and looking at that very specific format, that doesn't include "Day" in the headings, and uses the <name><voteorder> format in the votes. That's automated, so Domitian is someone that plays with the Excel sheets.

Just curious if someone pushed that same format earlier, or if this is a new thang.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 09:02:27

Subject: Day 5 - Murder Most Fowl

Romulus wrote:I was given a role as a seer. It was a seer to differentiate the animal of the person I seered. Everyone I have seered is a chicken. Quelle surprise? If there are no foxes then my role is totally useless. I can imagine Clearasday receiving my desperate pms for information laughing his fucking head off at the fact the response is essentially a message saying, "yes that person is still playing you idiot".

Well. As a Duck, I feel like this may call for some attention. Wild speculation - instead of full seers, there are several faction-specific seers, or seers that are capable of detecting a few but not all cults.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 10:30:14

Admetus wrote:Subject: Day 5 - Murder Most Fowl

Romulus wrote:I was given a role as a seer. It was a seer to differentiate the animal of the person I seered. Everyone I have seered is a chicken. Quelle surprise? If there are no foxes then my role is totally useless. I can imagine Clearasday receiving my desperate pms for information laughing his fucking head off at the fact the response is essentially a message saying, "yes that person is still playing you idiot".

Well. As a Duck, I feel like this may call for some attention. Wild speculation - instead of full seers, there are several faction-specific seers, or seers that are capable of detecting a few but not all cults.

Yeah - I noticed that as well. So, should we convert Romulus to the Ducks as quickly as we can, or attempt to kill Ryvvn?

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 10:36:31

Converting him is far safer than relying on my guess. But just to add more uncertainty, I'm not confident we'll win the peck-off if there is more than one conversion for Romulus. I think it's still compatible with killing a quieter person, so I'll go with:

Convert Romulus -> Caesar
Night Kill Aldax -> Wasabi

Remus and Romulus to be reconciled after a rocky start? It's a Lifetime special.

Of course, Romulus might be lynchable. We may not need to worry about it. If it's looking possible, I'll put a vote there.
Last edited by Admetus on 30 Jun 2014, 12:23:46, edited 1 time in total.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 11:45:34

Just to get all of our ducks in a row (this is getting painful):

Convert Romulus -> Caesar
Retracted!!! Night Kill Aldax -> Wasabi

Most Esteemed GM: If Admetus dies, do we retain conversion and/or kill capabilities, or is he the only one capable of convincing a chicken that he might be a duck, etc., etal? In other words, does my vote actually matter here?
Last edited by DastardlyOldMan on 30 Jun 2014, 12:57:40, edited 2 times in total.

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 30 Jun 2014, 12:20:06

Your vote matters a great deal round these parts. For now.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 12:21:51

Thanks CAD. Any word on whether we can kill a person who has been freshly converted that night? (In other words, can you clarify order of operations?)

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 12:22:54

Subject: Player List

Wasabi wrote:I actually count 24 Masked Accounts, and 25 Main accounts. Ah, I see Agrippa is off the list, but Meta4 is still on.

I think Wasabi may only check on this kind of thing if he has interesting choices to make.

Going to swap just the Night Kill priority.

Night Kill Wasabi -> Aldax
Last edited by Admetus on 30 Jun 2014, 15:43:19, edited 1 time in total.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 12:58:40

Two Ducks, One Voice! Power to the Ducks!
Retracted Again!!!!Night Kill Wasabi -> Aldax
Last edited by DastardlyOldMan on 30 Jun 2014, 15:42:53, edited 1 time in total.

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 30 Jun 2014, 13:07:24

Admetus wrote:Thanks CAD. Any word on whether we can kill a person who has been freshly converted that night? (In other words, can you clarify order of operations?)

No word on that.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 13:09:32

He's Ducking the question! We are the favored race.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 13:26:21

Rekard's last game, vote tallies. Since you asked.

rekard's looked hand crafted. There were anomalies in spacing and name labels.
Rictus made his by copying someone else's (mine) and bringing it up to date.
Hellheart's are definitely spreadsheet automated.
Zark includes some, and they're pretty strictly formatted, but is that because of spreadsheet? Don't know.
Okaros definitely uses a spreadsheet helper.

The game was all about secret factions, so it probably parallels this one quite a bit. Except, CAD isn't providing nearly as many tallies as rekard did.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 13:27:45

Alas, I have drawn heat. This may have happened because a cult attempted to convert me and failed. I didn't get any note about it, but wouldn't have necessarily expected to.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 14:10:18

You're not in bad shape, though - it's good to draw a little heat, it can put you out of the running for the future.

Romulus - 3 - Domitian, Sulla, Augustus
Domitian - 3 - Romulus, Caesar, Constantine
Marius - 2 - Caligula, Cincinnatus
Constantine - 1 - Remus
Cincinnatus - 1 - Hadrian
Caligula - 1 - Cicero

with six votes outstanding. I'd expect Caracalla to log his Visigoth vote in the next ~30 minutes (once he gets off work). The big threat right now is that Domitian and Romulus could ally and move their votes to the next-best target, which is you - I guess that isn't such a nice pattern to be hanging out in.

Thoughts on how much you want me to save you if the need arises? I'd rather move my current (ineffectual) vote as soon as possible to avoid the obvious save. Of course, the discussion could come full circle to me as well - speaking of which, any thoughts on who you want poisoned if I do get lynched? Obviously, restricted by those voting for me, so purely theoretical.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 14:12:19

Hmm... Caligula has voted for you 3 days in a row now. You might have to call him out on that, especially since two of them were one-word, and the third was a "I know we seered someone, but I'm a-gonna vote for Marius anyhow". Easy enough to get him lynched, people are after the quieter ones at this point.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 14:17:09

Yes, and he missed a vote in there somewhere, too, I think. I'm mainly worried that it means he's seered me, but that would not be consistent with my role as stated up until Night 3's shocking revelation.

Just checked, he started to vote for me Day 3, and I was a normal, unaligned, powerless chicken at that time.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 14:35:00

Getting to the point where I might need to vote Romulus in self defense. Since he is not on me, that will just cause an escalation.

If it is getting close, what do you think about switching the kill to Visigoth to attempt to silence some pressure? If it's a cult that is pushing on me together, reducing their numbers would be important. Also, converting Romulus when he's been in the hot seat consecutive days is looking less helpful.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 15:15:39

Commodus pulled back the bridge that would have made a vote on Romulus work, while citing a post that was anti-Romulus. I think someone told him his vote might get him too much attention.

Current tally is not looking good, but I'm not sure how important it is that I live. Will the powers of the Ducks continue without me?

Marius - 5 - Caligula, Cincinnatus, Caracalla, Romulus, Valentinian
Romulus - 3 - Domitian, Sulla, Augustus
Domitian - 3 - Romulus, Caesar, Constantine
Caligula - 2 - Cicero, Marius
Constantine - 1 - Remus
Cincinnatus - 1 - Hadrian

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 15:20:32

Nero and Pompey votes outstanding.

-edit-
Nero votes where I already am, which means I can't save myself by moving. Deliberate?

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 15:27:56

Trying to figure out my move here. I'm at the point where I think I have to save you, even if it's an "obvious" save.

Your best bet is to publicly ally with Caligula and go for the mutual save, except that I don't know if Caligula's even around to talk with. Pompey, the remaining vote outstanding, if truly Stigmata, may not be around (Australian time).

I could bring Domitian to 3, allowing you to move over there, or I could bring Romulus to 4 - an obvious save when you jump across, or Caligula to 5.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 15:31:16

(Sorry for the flood of posts. I'm anxious about getting blindsided shortly after getting to the interesting part of the game.)

Thinking about leaving the convert/kill where they are if I'm going down for sure. Maybe all we can do is cross our fingers that the Ducks continue and you become First Duck in my stead.

If you voted Romulus and I jumped over, I think it would look less like I was coordinating with you. You would just have pushed Caligula to 5.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 15:35:29

True, but even then, you're just getting Romulus to 5. I also can rationalize the Caligula vote, as he has been one-wording since Day 1 (where he was actively posting vote counts and the like - it really does look like he was converted that night and took it to a private forum, or had some kind of restriction put in place).

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 15:37:02

Of course, your own posting pattern is pretty light as well (and mine's not much better).

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 15:38:39

Yep. Well, I wish I had more guidance. The Day 4 first post from CAD as well as my new role PM didn't tell me what would happen in the event of my death.

It is a team game, so there's little incentive for anyone else to save me. Probably it's you or nobody at this point.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 15:40:11

And I suspect that's why I got all the votes. Romulus's faction probably came out in force. Perhaps we should switch that kill to point at Visigoth?

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 15:41:53

Hadrian might bounce as well - he & I are the only two on singletons, but he's not motivated. Going Caligula.

Agreed, although I hate to remove a known quantity.

Kill Visigoth -> Wasabi -> Aldax -> blindsniper83 -> ThatPJ -> stigmata -> FurinMirado -> DOM -> CAD

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 15:42:45

Night Kill Visigoth -> Wasabi -> Aldax -> blindsniper83

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 15:50:18

Pompey is showing as online. I'd resigned myself to the 50/50, but it looks like Pompey gets a chance to pick it.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Jun 2014, 15:57:22

Ewww - if he's a member of a cult, you're done for. If not, stigmata might flake on being the tiebreaker and vote off.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 30 Jun 2014, 15:59:05

Yep, he voted off.

Oh hey, in case I die (I'm not optimistic), good luck and I hope you Duck the follow-up votes tomorrow. Fortune willing, you won't need to use that power of yours.

Return to “Their Worst Nightmare”