sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Night Zero - Surprise, You're Death!

Postby sphenodont » 12 Aug 2014, 06:27:13

Congrats! You survived the accident!

Of course, you were going to survive anyway, so now you've been pressed into service by Death Himself (who really is an awful lot like William Sadler in Bogus Journey).

When you think about it, you're trying to restore the Natural Order of things. You're the good guys!

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 0
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Re: Night Zero - Surprise, You're Death!

Postby Okaros » 12 Aug 2014, 07:39:38

Aldax this plan of yours better work. If restoring the natural order doesn't win Beth back I'll probably just end it all.
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 12 Aug 2014, 07:53:18

Oh it will work, it will work...
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353

Postby Omega » 12 Aug 2014, 09:24:51

So we're the Reapers? As in Mass Effect Reapers or as in Family Guy Adam Carolla reapers?

stigmata
ass triaging people

Postby stigmata » 12 Aug 2014, 09:38:15

Omega wrote:So we're the Reapers? As in Mass Effect Reapers or as in Family Guy Adam Carolla reapers?

I ain't no stinkin' frickin' cuttlefish

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 12 Aug 2014, 09:40:52

I was thinking more like these reapers.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 12 Aug 2014, 09:48:25

(( But really there's just one Reaper with a few friends along for the ride, yeah? ))

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 12 Aug 2014, 12:20:24

Basic Rules updated.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 12 Aug 2014, 14:57:20

(( Polish up your lying skills folks. Unless spheno throws in more wrinkles I think the only way we'll be able to win in end-game is if we're able to convince the humans that either the Psychic isn't resolved (if we've got a flawless game) or that one of us has resolved as the Psychic.

Consider: Any scenario involving 3 or fewer humans means the Psychic must have resolved (barring some ridiculous overlap in predictions) AND still be alive, which means your existence must be accounted for either by your own predictions or someone else's. If you're not in anyone's possibly-valid predictions and your own don't make you a valid Psychic candidate you're instantly detectable as a wolf once the call for laying cards out on the table arrives.

If there are ever only two Psychic candidates left (one wolf, one normal) the humans can potentially win by lynching the two Psychics one after the other. Since the Psychic must die last, his getting lynched wins the game for the survivors. Thus, we *also* have to ensure that more than one of us is a Psychic candidate going into end-game.

If we don't lose anyone early, we should probably consider a deliberate sacrifice play at some point so that we can control who dies at the later Psychic decision points (by forcing the Day 7/8 lynch predictions, which we can't control, into being Maul predictions, which we can) . That would let those of us remaining reveal a Psychic prediction list in advance and then tailor our maul targets to match it, which would help ensure that the humans never figure out who the Psychic is.

Holy crap does end-game look insanely hard for us. :flail: ))

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 12 Aug 2014, 16:38:23

Apologies in advance if I have inadvertantly screwed you guys over. It's an experiment, and I don't know how well it'll play. I had a few people look over the rules and they made some suggestions, but this is sort of new territory here.

The main thing you are aiming for is a parity victory, just like any game. That hasn't changed.

The humans will (I hope) be aiming to score the personal win by being one of the final three, so they'll try to get themselves to resolve as the Psychic or make deals with someone who they think has a good chance of becoming the Psychic.

If the Psychic resolves, your noose gets a little tighter, but you have options to either forestall that happening, or working to prevent it from happening. Don't forget that while the maul is more limited than usual, you can swing it in the way you'd like.

Yes, you'll have to lie your asses off, but I don't think it's as grim as it might seem. (But then again, I've got GM blinders on.)

stigmata
ass triaging people

Postby stigmata » 12 Aug 2014, 17:42:51

I'll be honest, this one is super tricky to get my head around in terms of strategy. I like it, though.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 12 Aug 2014, 17:56:08

sphenodont wrote:The humans will (I hope) be aiming to score the personal win by being one of the final three, so they'll try to get themselves to resolve as the Psychic or make deals with someone who they think has a good chance of becoming the Psychic.

(( Yeah, this point is where I think a lot of our leverage is. I think it will serve as semi-decent cover for moderately wolfy activities since as long as you're an unresolved Psychic you've got the "I just want to be the Psychic and win" argument for your actions (in theory). Early and even mid-game will potentially be easier than usual for us, so maybe that will work enough to our advantage that the end-game won't be as nasty. If we can get the humans in-fighting amongst each other going into end-game they'll be less likely to work together to crush us. :)

I don't *think* we're doomed, so I'm up for a challenge. Part of the fun with crazy variants is figuring out where things break down at. ))

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 12 Aug 2014, 18:10:30

(( I will also note that a 4 out of 20 ratio seems a bit lightweight. I'm certain the analytical players will assume there are more of us than there are. Easily 5, maybe 6?

Plus we already know of two impending twists that the humans don't (Vigs and the double-lynch) which makes me wonder about all the twists that are waiting for us that we *don't* know about... ))

Return to “The Portal to Hades”