Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

The wizard's natural habitat.
User avatar
DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 4184
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:41:36
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King
Location: Dayton, OH - Eastern Time

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 09 Aug 2013, 11:42:13

((So, do we create one topic in the pub with both + and - RaveBomb karma, or do we keep it as two separate stickies?))

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 11:43:09

Anzig wrote:This is simply not acceptable. Not only did we forget marshmallows last night when we really roasted Rictus, but now Nitestorm ended up neck deep in the nectar that was the nifty Bread Pudding!

Truly, these are desperate times for the snack impaired.

I myself, find FurinMirado's vote fuzzing last night to be faithful and fully in the spirit of Fluffy the Holy Vote Counting Cat (not).

Isn't that right Fluffy?

***Fluffy purrs***

Actually, I've been analyzing Furin's actions, and the more I think about, I don't really see a likely scenario in which he's a Wolf.

Because if he were, why would he come forward and admit to the power usage? To try to protect fellow stigmata, if he's a fellow Wolf?

Perhaps, but I don't really think it makes sense for the Wolves to risk the exposure of a second Wolf this early in the game.

So Furin, to me, is actually one of the most likely Humans now.

Now if stigmata turns out to be a Wolf, then Furin may need to be re-assessed, but I don't see a good reason to lynch Furin now just because he came forward about his power usage.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 11:48:27

stigmata wrote:Despite what Ozy said about non-Elemental role claiming, there's no reason to suppose anyone's being remotely truthful when they do so.

Actually, there is. A Wolf can't risk claiming a Non-Elemental Role that they don't really have, because for all they know a Human actually does have the role and will counter-claim, which will lead to the Wolf getting lynched.

So if any other Non-Elementals do come forward, they will almost certainly be telling the truth.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 11:56:16

Given that I now believe that Furin tried to use his power to help himself, not stigmata, I don't really have any particular reason to suspect stigmata, so I retracted my lynch vote from earlier in the day.
Last edited by Ozymandias on 09 Aug 2013, 12:25:56, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stigmata
ass triaging people
Posts: 564
Joined: 31 Jul 2013, 19:23:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: BLARDY STRAYA MAYTE

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby stigmata » 09 Aug 2013, 11:58:38

Ozymandias wrote:
stigmata wrote:Despite what Ozy said about non-Elemental role claiming, there's no reason to suppose anyone's being remotely truthful when they do so.

Actually, there is. A Wolf can't risk claiming a Non-Elemental Role that they don't really have, because for all they know a Human actually does have the role and will counter-claim, which will lead to the Wolf getting lynched.

So if any other Non-Elementals do come forward, they will almost certainly be telling the truth.

They claim to be someone they know isn't a likely option, like Death of Rats, nobody can counterclaim, done.

User avatar
RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
Posts: 3851
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 11:13:22
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore
Karma: +69/-96
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby RaveBomb » 09 Aug 2013, 11:58:49

I am the Element of Laughter. I would show you my party cannon, but a group of humorless meddlers told me that that would be inappropriate.
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
RB: I shot the seer didn't I? Omega: Of course you did.

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Hellheart » 09 Aug 2013, 12:06:02

RaveBomb wrote:I am the Element of Laughter. I would show you my party cannon, but a group of humorless meddlers told me that that would be inappropriate.

Oooh ooh, can you put a meddler into the cannon? He could wear half a melon on his head; everyone knows that wearing a half-melon will keep a person safe from any head injury.

looks up through a skylight at the Tower of Art

Maybe they just need to be enlightened. Do you think we can shoot one of them up there?
Last edited by Hellheart on 09 Aug 2013, 12:06:16, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 12:06:09

stigmata wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
stigmata wrote:Despite what Ozy said about non-Elemental role claiming, there's no reason to suppose anyone's being remotely truthful when they do so.

Actually, there is. A Wolf can't risk claiming a Non-Elemental Role that they don't really have, because for all they know a Human actually does have the role and will counter-claim, which will lead to the Wolf getting lynched.

So if any other Non-Elementals do come forward, they will almost certainly be telling the truth.

They claim to be someone they know isn't a likely option, like Death of Rats, nobody can counterclaim, done.

Yes, but claiming an esoteric character in and of itself will be suspicious.

And there's a limit to how many Non-Elemental roles there can be, so if too many players claim Non-Elemental roles, then those claiming the more esoteric roles will obviously be more suspicious. So a Wolf is VERY unlikely to fake role claim this early in the game.
Last edited by Ozymandias on 09 Aug 2013, 12:09:29, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stigmata
ass triaging people
Posts: 564
Joined: 31 Jul 2013, 19:23:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: BLARDY STRAYA MAYTE

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby stigmata » 09 Aug 2013, 12:08:01

RaveBomb wrote:I am the Element of Laughter. I would show you my party cannon, but a group of humorless meddlers told me that that would be inappropriate.

More like a party popper.

Ook.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 12:09:19

Hellheart wrote:although Stigmata effectively declared Librarian on Day 0 so his being near the top of the lynch votes was worrying regardless of his voting for a newbie

Can you explain this? I have zero prior familiarity with Discworld-- so I didn't even know the orangutan was the Librarian until today.

Is there a mythology-related reason why the Librarian would not be a Wolf?

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Hellheart » 09 Aug 2013, 12:18:12

Ozymandias wrote:
Hellheart wrote:although Stigmata effectively declared Librarian on Day 0 so his being near the top of the lynch votes was worrying regardless of his voting for a newbie

Can you explain this? I have zero prior familiarity with Discworld-- so I didn't even know the orangutan was the Librarian until today.

Is there a mythology-related reason why the Librarian would not be a Wolf?

(OOC) Partially, but there's a much more important balance-related reason. It's easy to infer abilities for 3 of the 4 roles named by DOM (CMOT Dibbler could have one of several very shady powers); in the Librarian's case, the 24-hour ban makes sense.

The 24h ban would be far, far too powerful for the wolves. They would remove a known human every day in addition to the lynch, and late in the game they could even use it to save a wolf minutes before the lynch, which would have terrible consequences for the hapless fellow in 2nd place.

As far as in-world flavor is concerned, the Librarian cares about the library first and foremost (and has an awful, awful temper) but he's good at heart.

User avatar
stigmata
ass triaging people
Posts: 564
Joined: 31 Jul 2013, 19:23:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: BLARDY STRAYA MAYTE

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby stigmata » 09 Aug 2013, 12:21:09

Just don't describe him insensitively. He doesn't like that.

Ook ook.

User avatar
necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 4640
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:13:44
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Somerville, NJ (US Eastern Time Zone)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby necklessone » 09 Aug 2013, 12:23:05

Ozymandias wrote:
Hellheart wrote:although Stigmata effectively declared Librarian on Day 0 so his being near the top of the lynch votes was worrying regardless of his voting for a newbie

Can you explain this? I have zero prior familiarity with Discworld-- so I didn't even know the orangutan was the Librarian until today.

I just want to second this. There are some of us who are not familiar with the source material in the slightest, so please don't be upset if we don't get hints and references that involve said knowledge.

User avatar
Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2925
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:15:42
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Minnesota (Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ionitor » 09 Aug 2013, 12:24:00

Ozymandias wrote:
Hellheart wrote:although Stigmata effectively declared Librarian on Day 0 so his being near the top of the lynch votes was worrying regardless of his voting for a newbie

Can you explain this? I have zero prior familiarity with Discworld-- so I didn't even know the orangutan was the Librarian until today.

Is there a mythology-related reason why the Librarian would not be a Wolf?

Since it's theoretically the tokens that corrupted most of the wolves, the true identity of the non-elemental wol(f/ves) is presumably one that is inherently evil, since there was no token to corrupt them. However, just like the shadow tokens have cover words, I expect that the non-elemental wol(f/ves) will have cover IDs, presumably with a power that matches. So, I don't think the Librarian is corrupt, but I do think it's possible that stigmata is just disguised as the librarian.

That said, I would be pretty surprised if a wolf would have taken an action that protected Ozy from a day 1 lynch, which is part of why I'm not voting for stigmata.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 12:24:54

Hellheart wrote:He may not be a wolf, but I prefer that the players have the ability to reason among themselves rather than have someone covertly and overtly steer the discussion wherever he/she sees fit.

I don't understand the "covert" part of this statement? If anything, I've been too overt, as I've tried to present my logic in great detail-- which I do precisely because I want other players to use reason to assess my logic for themselves.

I certainly haven't stifled any debate, which is what a lot of players seem to be trying to do to me today.

Incidentally, if you don't like reading strategy posts, then here's some advice: DON'T READ THEM.

I'm not particularly interested in the RP aspects of the game, so I generally don't bother reading RP-heavy posts, but I wouldn't dream of asking anyone who does enjoy RP to stop posting. Because to me, telling someone else how to post would be incredibly disrespectful.

User avatar
Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2925
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:15:42
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Minnesota (Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ionitor » 09 Aug 2013, 12:30:49

Damn, it's Friday. I forget that means that there is likely to be less EOD flexibility in the voting, which means that I should state right now:

I know for a fact that Ozy has claimed an existing role. There is additional evidence that he is not making a false claim to that role; furthermore, it would be rather surprising to me if said role was a wolf role. That said, if anyone else is actually Mrs. Whitlow, come forward and we can move on from there.

Edit: As to the RP/no-RP issue, I was going to ignore it, but I'll just say that we have typically tried to be welcoming to both sides of the coin. Those that don't RP try to put up with the walls of drivel that those that do RP tend to post, and those that do RP try to put up with the walls of drivel that those that don't RP tend to post.

It only goes bad when those of us that don't RP try, and everyone else gets to read about assault by sweater.
Last edited by Ionitor on 09 Aug 2013, 12:33:14, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 12:31:40

RaveBomb wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
RaveBomb wrote:Ozymandias you talk to much, and what you say isn't funny. Work on it.

This coming from someone who used my joke in his sig for the better part of a year ...


And where is that joke now? Gone, lost to the whims of time and history.

Dude, you don't tell me about loss due to the whims of time and history-- I tell you, for I am Ozymandias :D

User avatar
Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)
Posts: 682
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:32:16
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Monterrey, Nuevo León, México

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Aldax » 09 Aug 2013, 12:32:33

Ionitor wrote:For now, I'd like to see what Aldax has to say.


Nasveriga, Ionitur? shun su naka rokstendi surutaermembe bananer cheesna so la, surtoma doruto nastrami so nu karrast frust endru filtrip

(You know Ionitor? What do you want me to say? I'm a normal magician who wants to take out those corrupted bananas, before they ruin our special bananas with cheese, which is going to happen at the end of this weird endeavor)
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Hellheart » 09 Aug 2013, 12:40:14

Ozymandias wrote:
Hellheart wrote:He may not be a wolf, but I prefer that the players have the ability to reason among themselves rather than have someone covertly and overtly steer the discussion wherever he/she sees fit.

I don't understand the "covert" part of this statement? If anything, I've been too overt, as I've tried to present my logic in great detail-- which I do precisely because I want other players to use reason to assess my logic for themselves.

If you have an ulterior motive, then you're covertly steering the conversation. You don't need to have a wolfy ulterior motive, it could instead be something as simple as a bias towards having everybody share information. That would be obvious to people who've played several games with you, but newer players like me are coming in cold and have no idea what's going on, and it encourages silence more than anything else.

stigmata wrote:Just don't describe him insensitively. He doesn't like that.

Ook ook.

The characters are pretty straightforward, and the best way to get a quick-and-dirty understanding of them is to use TVtropes. Rincewind and the Librarian (and the Bursar, which I believe is present among us as well) are in the Wizards section, CMOT Dibbler and The Luggage are in the Other section

Mrs. Whitlow, your purported character, runs the staff and kitchens with an iron spoon, has almost as much mass as the Dean (we're talking doorway-blocking here, instead of the normal wizard size which is merely unbelievably obese), doesn't listen to any wizard including the archchancellor, and has a "slightly posh" accent that mainly manifests itself when she pronounces "I" as "Ai"

User avatar
Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus
Posts: 4257
Joined: 13 May 2013, 18:27:41
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Tennessee (US Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 09 Aug 2013, 12:44:59

Meta4 wrote:Mister E. Meat voted for the same bloke I did, which seems odd because I had absolutely no basis for voting for Ice Cold Burrito.


You know, I decided yesterday that today's vote would be revenge. So I do have the rationale.

/flips coin

...well, hey. Mister Egon Meat, come on down!

Count yourself lucky, Metaphour.

User avatar
DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 4184
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:41:36
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King
Location: Dayton, OH - Eastern Time

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 09 Aug 2013, 12:55:42

((I'm trying to clarify here without ~imbalancing or directing knowledge one way or another.

Book knowledge is not required for this game.

Making inferences using book knowledge may not be safe. It is entirely possible that The Librarian, if he is in the game, is secretly Susan Sto Helit wrapped up in a red shag carpet. Mrs. Whitlow, if she is in the game, could be just a manifestation of Nanny Ogg's evil twin from another dimension. I may or may not have a Greebo/Luggage cage-match scheduled for Day 17.

Discworld is a fun setting to use and abuse, and I've done plenty of both here. Snape didn't kill Dumbledore; Snape IS Dumbledore.))

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4392
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 05:36:16
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737
Location: Bloomington, IL (Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby sphenodont » 09 Aug 2013, 13:05:50

DastardlyOldMan wrote:Discworld is a fun setting to use and abuse, and I've done plenty of both here. Snape didn't kill Dumbledore; Snape IS Dumbledore.))


DOM is the Walrus.

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Hellheart » 09 Aug 2013, 13:09:24

DastardlyOldMan wrote:Making inferences using book knowledge may not be safe. It is entirely possible that The Librarian, if he is in the game, is secretly Susan Sto Helit wrapped up in a red shag carpet.

Which is why the 24-hour ban, rather than the nature of the character itself, was my main reason for inferring the Librarian's allegiance. Knowing the basics of the characters is still useful, if only to know who's been virtually shouting out that they have a role.

Besides, nobody's screwed with the Bursar yet, and that's practically a crime.

User avatar
RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
Posts: 3851
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 11:13:22
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore
Karma: +69/-96
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby RaveBomb » 09 Aug 2013, 13:21:12

DastardlyOldMan wrote:Greebo/Luggage cage-match


This needs to happen.
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
RB: I shot the seer didn't I? Omega: Of course you did.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 13:29:40

Hellheart wrote:
DastardlyOldMan wrote:Making inferences using book knowledge may not be safe. It is entirely possible that The Librarian, if he is in the game, is secretly Susan Sto Helit wrapped up in a red shag carpet.

Which is why the 24-hour ban, rather than the nature of the character itself, was my main reason for inferring the Librarian's allegiance.

Agreed-- giving the Wolves multiple lynch avoidance opportunities does seem overpowered, since the Librarian could ban/protect any Wolf in lynch trouble who voted for him. That was part of the reason I wanted to know if this was a recurring or one-shot power.

Hellheart wrote:Knowing the basics of the characters is still useful, if only to know who's been virtually shouting out that they have a role.

Has anyone else been doing this? Did someone change their avatar to a likely Non-Elemental role? Or consistently talk like a certain character?

User avatar
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
Posts: 3138
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:35:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Not in the server room, not jacking off. Honest.

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby twdog » 09 Aug 2013, 13:33:53

I believe this is where we stand, please correct me if not. Also ... blindsniper83

FurinMirado - 2 - rekard anzig
Stigmata - 0 - Ozy
rekard - 1 - Ryvvn
Ozymandias - 2 - Hellheart ravebomb stigmata
MEM - 2 - meta4 ICB
Ionitor - 1 - Aldax
Blindsniper83 - 2- MEM twdog
twdog - 1 - dfer
Aldax - 1 - Ionitor
Last edited by twdog on 09 Aug 2013, 13:36:34, edited 1 time in total.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 13:34:26

I retracted my vote for stigmata.

Also, Ionitor only has one vote.

User avatar
Ryvvn
Teflon Coated
Posts: 3488
Joined: 30 Jul 2013, 16:21:50
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Salem, OR
Contact:

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ryvvn » 09 Aug 2013, 13:35:33

dferrantino wrote:
Ryvvn wrote:Once again Ozy's reasonings appear sound, and likely trustworthy (at least to a newcomer); but while I consider stigmata, I'll start by putting up Rekard, purely for the slight of mispronouncing my name yesterday.

Ryvvn, meet Ozy.
He's an expert manipulator, no matter what team he's on.

The more I listen to Ozymandias talk, the more I get the feeling he's just playing out a one-man long-form improv game. This is not an assertion that he is a wolf, only that he is playing on a team of one and trying to be a showman to the rest of us. His questions are the calls for audience input which he then spins in whatever manner furthers his act, which as of now seems to be mostly confusion.

Here was the turning point on my view of Ozy:

Ozymandias wrote:
FurinMirado wrote:(A) DOM's flavortext led me to believe my ability was at least partially earth-based. I'm assuming I'm forbidden from quoting that PM, even partially.
(B) See above, but substitute in "cheese-based". I believe brie was specifically mentioned.

Thanks for promptly responding again-- this is really interesting!
By a strange coincidence, I was ALSO targeted by both Earth and Cheese on Night 0 (like Furin, both Elements were mentioned in the PM flavor text).
And I ALSO gained a vote-altering power-- the ability to dole out penalty votes to any or all of the players who voted for me.
Unfortunately, I got knocked unconscious before this power could manifest :flail:
But I think we can now reasonably conclude that Earth is more strongly linked with vote manipulation than Water (despite what the rules originally said).
Also, I wonder if instead of you simultaneously being targeted by Shadow Earth or Shadow Cheese (which seems a bit unlikely), perhaps the Cheese Element itself is what caused your power to go askew?
In fact, I wonder if "Cheese" might not really exist, and instead is simply a code-word for "Shadow"? Hmm, I suppose we'll get confirmation that "Cheese" actually is real once a Human Cheese Elemental dies.
Anyway, just a little bit of paranoia for those of you who get a Cheese-enabled power ...

All of this, while guised merely as conjecture, seems specifically engineered to sow discord and doubt. The part that really gets me is the extremely unlikely coincidence that the two individuals involved were both specifically targeted by the same two base elemental power and no others. Again, I'm new here so I don't know your relationships with each other, but from what I've gathered in this game alone, it seems implausible that only TWO would target Ozy; seems much more likely that no one would, or that a mass of people would. Of course, this is all just wild speculation on my part, and it's possible that they are both misconstruing DOM's PM flavor text; or it's possible that they are both wolves... though, again, I still lean toward Ozy being human (Furin I'm not sure about). As for stigmata, well certain events of this game leave me wondering if the relationship between stig and Ozy is purely antagonistic or if that's a cover for collusion...

I almost feel it's in the safest interest of everyone else to just lynch one today then the other tomorrow (stig and Ozy - in either order).

These are all just impressions and gut feelings I'm getting as a total newcomer to this group, and I'm more than happy to listen to retorts and/or supporting claims.

Finally, it also seems rather odd that Ozy, who comes across as the most observant and meticulous keeper of information, somehow left this part out when he quoted to claim his identity:

sphenodont wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:Here's what DOM said about these roles in the rules:
DastardlyOldMan wrote:If there are an odd number of players to fit the elemental scheme, there will be some ~special roles ... The Librarian, CMOT Dibbler, Rincewind, and the Luggage are being entertained at this point, but I'll define those as the need arises.

Which means there are probably at least three other Non-Elemental Roles: Dibbler, Rincewind, and the Luggage.
I think it might be a good idea for all other Non-Elementals to role-claim today, because this will make it harder for the four or five Shadow Elemental Wolves to role claim as Non-Elementals later in the game.

I'm not necessarily questioning the wisdom of your request, but you might not get as many takers as you like. You left out DOM's quote before that line, which was
They will mainly be aligned with the rest of the villagers (no sociopaths), although there might be also be a wolf without elemental affiliation, if necessary.

To me, that says that there is likely a wolf non-elemental, if not two. (I'm assuming five players of each element for twenty-five, plus six non-elementals to get us up to thirty-one.)


Until I come to a firm decision, I'm not retracting my earlier vote just yet.

User avatar
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
Posts: 3138
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:35:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Not in the server room, not jacking off. Honest.

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby twdog » 09 Aug 2013, 13:40:04

Ozymandias wrote:I retracted my vote for stigmata.

Also, Ionitor only has one vote.



:roll: My tendency to skim has bit me again.

The Ionitor miscount was from when I first put that post together and I was planning on voting Ionitor, but changed my mind at the last minute.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

User avatar
Mister E. Meat
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2456
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 18:24:17
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Queens, NY

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Mister E. Meat » 09 Aug 2013, 13:44:08

sphenodont wrote:
DastardlyOldMan wrote:Discworld is a fun setting to use and abuse, and I've done plenty of both here. Snape didn't kill Dumbledore; Snape IS Dumbledore.))


DOM is the Walrus.

And I am the egg man. Coo coo cachoo.

User avatar
Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2925
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:15:42
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Minnesota (Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ionitor » 09 Aug 2013, 13:46:26

Ryvvn, as others have pointed out, this is classic Ozy. And paranoia about how the rules really work, while I suspect misplaced in this case, is entirely appropriate due to some truly bastard GMs around here.

Edit: I can't believe that someone decided not to vote for me. And twdog, at that.

User avatar
Mister E. Meat
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2456
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 18:24:17
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Queens, NY

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Mister E. Meat » 09 Aug 2013, 13:49:08

Ryvvn wrote:I almost feel it's in the safest interest of everyone else to just lynch one today then the other tomorrow (stig and Ozy - in either order).

As far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe that we need to lynch both unless one of them turns out to be corrupted. It's highly likely that if stigmata is human then Ozy is as well. The evidence the other direction doesn't seem as strong to me but still if Ozy is human then it's also likely that stigmata is too.

User avatar
RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
Posts: 3851
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 11:13:22
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore
Karma: +69/-96
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby RaveBomb » 09 Aug 2013, 13:49:52

Ionitor wrote:Edit: I can't believe that someone decided not to vote for me. And twdog, at that.


That's tomorrow's bandwagon.
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
RB: I shot the seer didn't I? Omega: Of course you did.

User avatar
Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2669
Joined: 04 May 2013, 15:03:44
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353
Location: Oceanside, CA (PST)
Contact:

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Omega » 09 Aug 2013, 13:51:32

Ionitor wrote:Ryvvn, as others have pointed out, this is classic Ozy. And paranoia about how the rules really work, while I suspect misplaced in this case, is entirely appropriate due to some truly bastard GMs around here.

Edit: I can't believe that someone decided not to vote for me. And twdog, at that.


We can fix that!

retracted f. Ionitor

User avatar
stigmata
ass triaging people
Posts: 564
Joined: 31 Jul 2013, 19:23:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: BLARDY STRAYA MAYTE

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby stigmata » 09 Aug 2013, 13:52:05

Hellheart wrote:
DastardlyOldMan wrote:Making inferences using book knowledge may not be safe. It is entirely possible that The Librarian, if he is in the game, is secretly Susan Sto Helit wrapped up in a red shag carpet.

Which is why the 24-hour ban, rather than the nature of the character itself, was my main reason for inferring the Librarian's allegiance. Knowing the basics of the characters is still useful, if only to know who's been virtually shouting out that they have a role.

Besides, nobody's screwed with the Bursar yet, and that's practically a crime.

OOC: to be fair, I threw him. That's pretty definitive.

E: I might have missed something. Are people considering u human status to be related to Pzy's because I saved him from the lynch by beating him up? I thought he was a couple of votes clear of the lead at the time.
Last edited by stigmata on 09 Aug 2013, 13:57:13, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Hellheart » 09 Aug 2013, 13:53:19

(Okay, last OOC for awhile, not nearly as much fun this way)

Well yeah, and you haven't seen Wasabi post today yet, have you? :p

Ionitor wrote:Edit: As to the RP/no-RP issue, I was going to ignore it, but I'll just say that we have typically tried to be welcoming to both sides of the coin. Those that don't RP try to put up with the walls of drivel that those that do RP tend to post, and those that do RP try to put up with the walls of drivel that those that don't RP tend to post.

I don't think you can count 7-Zark-7's posts as actual RP :p

I can't even pretend that I want to enforce RP, because that's a ridiculous proposition. I understand that some people treat this as a puzzle more than anything else, which I thought the end of my initial post made clear. I took umbrage at multiple forceful posts in a very short period of time, which has nothing to do with RP. It also has nothing to do with whether he is, or is not, a wolf. It's got more to do with clashing game philosophies than anything else, and it takes time for me to adjust to that great of a difference.

And when I say game philosophies, I don't mean RP vs. Non-RP. If I get a Vig ability and i think there's a >50% chance that it'll backfire, I may very well just target myself to see what would happen. If I think the chance of backfire is <50% with no clear targets and I feel like things have gotten a little boring... ;)

That said, I'm logical and rational to a fault. Until I'm not. Makes for a great poker persona, too.

Ozymandias wrote:Has anyone else been doing this? Did someone change their avatar to a likely Non-Elemental role? Or consistently talk like a certain character?

Wasabi straight out said that he was imitating the Bursar. Even if he hadn't, a passing familiarity with the character would let you peg it within two posts. He may not actually be the Bursar, and I would have no idea what abilit(ies) the Bursar would have at his disposal, but it was a clear Day 1 claim. I don't think any other character would encourage roleplaying enough to manifest itself in somebody's posts, though.

User avatar
Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus
Posts: 4257
Joined: 13 May 2013, 18:27:41
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Tennessee (US Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 09 Aug 2013, 14:16:42

Hellheart wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:Has anyone else been doing this? Did someone change their avatar to a likely Non-Elemental role? Or consistently talk like a certain character?

Wasabi straight out said that he was imitating the Bursar. Even if he hadn't, a passing familiarity with the character would let you peg it within two posts. He may not actually be the Bursar, and I would have no idea what abilit(ies) the Bursar would have at his disposal, but it was a clear Day 1 claim. I don't think any other character would encourage roleplaying enough to manifest itself in somebody's posts, though.


Ook might not be Ook, either. Something to remember. I've seen many people pull off fantastic RP of a role they've assigned themselves/limitations of their own postings that don't actually exist/other things... you get the idea.

Just because stigmata has come forward and said he silenced Ozy doesn't make it actually true. Much the same that Furin's vote manipulation may or may not have been done by furin.

I'm not attempting to cast doubt on either of the two examples brought forth in this game, as I actually tend to think the analysis is sound, even if Furin's story seems convoluted. I'm just pointing out that people will lie to you all the time, and sometimes it's hard to read exactly when it's happening.

User avatar
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
Posts: 3138
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:35:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Not in the server room, not jacking off. Honest.

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby twdog » 09 Aug 2013, 14:22:06

Ozymandias wrote:In fact, I wonder if "Cheese" might not really exist, and instead is simply a code-word for "Shadow"? Hmm, I suppose we'll get confirmation that "Cheese" actually is real once a Human Cheese Elemental dies.


I've debated about coming out with this, but it seems safe and useful at this junction. I received a cheesy "power" last night. I use quotation marks because the "power" is that for this day only I'll survive the lynch if I'm in a tie. The PM only made a reference to cheese, and not to any other element.

Obviously, I have no real idea what cheese does as I don't know how many cheese caster there were, or if any non-cheese power targeted me. Although this means that in principal the person\people that targeted me last night could keep me safe from tied lynches for the rest of the game, I honestly don't think that's a good use of their power because its benefit is very situational. The cheese may have better use elsewhere.

The point of this reveal is that it's my belief is that there is a cheese element and it isn't a code for shadow.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

User avatar
Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus
Posts: 4257
Joined: 13 May 2013, 18:27:41
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Tennessee (US Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 09 Aug 2013, 14:23:49

twdog wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:In fact, I wonder if "Cheese" might not really exist, and instead is simply a code-word for "Shadow"? Hmm, I suppose we'll get confirmation that "Cheese" actually is real once a Human Cheese Elemental dies.


I've debated about coming out with this, but it seems safe and useful at this junction. I received a cheesy "power" last night. I use quotation marks because the "power" is that for this day only I'll survive the lynch if I'm in a tie. The PM only made a reference to cheese, and not to any other element.

Obviously, I have no real idea what cheese does as I don't know how many cheese caster there were, or if any non-cheese power targeted me. Although this means that in principal the person\people that targeted me last night could keep me safe from tied lynches for the rest of the game, I honestly don't think that's a good use of their power because its benefit is very situational. The cheese may have better use elsewhere.

The point of this reveal is that it's my belief is that there is a cheese element and it isn't a code for shadow.


I think cheese is a code for vamHEY, ARE YOU JERKING OFF IN HERE?

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 14:24:23

Ryvvn wrote:The more I listen to Ozymandias talk, the more I get the feeling he's just playing out a one-man long-form improv game. This is not an assertion that he is a wolf, only that he is playing on a team of one and trying to be a showman to the rest of us. His questions are the calls for audience input which he then spins in whatever manner furthers his act, which as of now seems to be mostly confusion.

All of this is more or less accurate-- except for the last word. The end goal of my "act" isn't confusion, but information. Though I can see why it might come across as confusion, since I am deliberately trying to keep the audience slightly off balance so that Wolves who decide to answer my questions can't quite figure out what they should lie about. How players respond also lets me (and hopefully others) get a better read on them.

By the way, the reason I am probing so stridently for information is that this is likely to be a particularly information-poor skin.

Because I think we can expect to get about three one-shot Seers, give or take. But if they don't Seer a Wolf then they aren't likely to come forward if the Human they've seered is not in lynch danger. So there's a good chance these Seers may die without passing on their information. And unlike with a normal Seer, we won't know that these players were Seers when they die, so even if they left a clue about their vision, we won't be 100% sure how to interpret it.

Hence it's plausible we may never get any Seer vision reveals info this game.

Which is why I'm trying to obtain information by other means ...

User avatar
Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2669
Joined: 04 May 2013, 15:03:44
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353
Location: Oceanside, CA (PST)
Contact:

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Omega » 09 Aug 2013, 14:25:16

Perhaps we should test your lynch tie immunity?

User avatar
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
Posts: 3138
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:35:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Not in the server room, not jacking off. Honest.

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby twdog » 09 Aug 2013, 14:26:50

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:HEY, ARE YOU JERKING OFF IN HERE?


uh, I hate to be the one that breaks this you ... but what do you think they make the cheese from? Just sayin'
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

User avatar
Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 1738
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 14:22:08
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Cylon Occupied Ohio

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Visigoth » 09 Aug 2013, 14:27:43

We all need to remain grounded and not let ourselves get swept out to sea. We'll never find these interlopers if we keep gazing up at the clouds. Also this dip has gone cold and could stand to be warmed up. Can anyone take this and do that? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Omega?

User avatar
Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2669
Joined: 04 May 2013, 15:03:44
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353
Location: Oceanside, CA (PST)
Contact:

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Omega » 09 Aug 2013, 14:32:36

You rang?????

User avatar
DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 4184
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:41:36
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King
Location: Dayton, OH - Eastern Time

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 09 Aug 2013, 14:37:25

The official count looks to me like:

FurinMirado - 2 - rekard, Anzig
Ozymandias - 2 - Hellheart, stigmata
Mister E. Meat - 2 - Meta4, Iron Clad Burrito
Blindsniper83 - 2 - Mister E. Meat, twdog
Ionitor - 2 - Aldax, Omega
rekard - 1 - Ryvvn
Aldax - 1 - Ionitor
twdog - 1 - dferrantino
Omega - 1 - Visigoth

Yet to Vote: One, Two, Few, Few-and-One, Few-and-Two, Many, Many-Many.

User avatar
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
Posts: 3138
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:35:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Not in the server room, not jacking off. Honest.

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby twdog » 09 Aug 2013, 14:37:36

Omega wrote:Perhaps we should test your lynch tie immunity?


If you like, although I don't think it's worth the trouble. After I survive the lynch, what will you know? Only that it's possible to create the minor effect of lynch tie immunity with a recipe that involves at least one cheese caster. We don't know if there was more then one, nor do we know if it was a combo of cheese and something else. For all we know, there was also shadow in the mix and the power is "poisoned" unbeknownst to me (I think the GM said power holders don't know if they're shadow poisoned).

But there is a downside to testing the power, namely, that when vote history is analyzed today will be of little use because the day's voting would be all about testing twdog's temp power.

I guess my feeling is that surviving a tied lynch on one day is a pretty minor thing. I'd have kept it to myself, but as of right now I'm not in danger of being lynched anyway, so there reason I brought it up was to say I believe that the cheese power exists. Seemed better to reveal that then to sit on a power that's probably useless to me today


edit: minor from a game play standpoint, not from a personal standpoint. If we discovered the recipe for making seers, that'd be a huge deal from a game play standpoint.
Last edited by twdog on 09 Aug 2013, 14:40:07, edited 1 time in total.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4392
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 05:36:16
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737
Location: Bloomington, IL (Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby sphenodont » 09 Aug 2013, 14:37:51

Hellheart wrote:I'll get off his back if he reduces the volume of his posts and/or (preferably and) gets a bit into the flavor of the world and starts trying to be humorous. I think several other players may feel the same way.


You just have to play more and get used to Ozy. The best way is to just read his posts as though he were standing in front of the class in his underwear. And on helium

[+] very likely nsfw
Image

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Ozymandias » 09 Aug 2013, 14:39:57

twdog wrote:The PM only made a reference to cheese, and not to any other element.

Interesting. I guess that means two Cheese Elementals targeted you last night? (Though you may want to double check your power PM because I actually missed the Earth reference in my PM the first time I read it.)

twdog wrote:The point of this reveal is that it's my belief is that there is a cheese element and it isn't a code for shadow.

Agreed. My paranoid theory doesn't make sense if there's no other Element for "Cheese" to Shadow.

And besides, DOM doesn't really roll that way as a GM ...

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4392
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 05:36:16
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737
Location: Bloomington, IL (Central Time)

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby sphenodont » 09 Aug 2013, 14:42:19

This is a tentative vote on twdog, and it will change after I get a chance to figure out whether or not to believe The Stig.

User avatar
Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2669
Joined: 04 May 2013, 15:03:44
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353
Location: Oceanside, CA (PST)
Contact:

Re: Day 2: Breaking Fast Bad

Postby Omega » 09 Aug 2013, 14:43:58

@twdog - I wasn't seriously suggesting testing your lynch tie immunity, no reason to throw away another day of voting, because even if you were a wolf, it would tell us nothing.

@sphenodont - :shock:


Return to “The Banquet Hall”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest