TWG Goes VR

The last place you'll ever drink away the day...again.
Meta4
Post Whore
Post Whore
TWG 1 Posts: 0

TWG Goes VR

Postby Meta4 » 15 Mar 2016, 12:41:17

Here's a nifty trailer for a VR adaptation of The Werewolf Game. It looks interesting, although I'm not sure how they're doing hand tracking with XBox controllers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWBb1LgtITc
"...it continues to be a bad idea to give in to the urge to lynch Meta4." -Admetus

Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Re: TWG Goes VR

Postby Visigoth » 15 Mar 2016, 15:12:46

Maybe Kinect or some other type of camera tracking thing? Does look like there is something on the tops of the monitors with a light on it which might be how it's tracking that kind of movement.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 15 Mar 2016, 15:31:08

I don't think the game is doing hand-tracking. The hand motions don't line up with any gestures I can see the players making, and the animations look pre-programmed and pinned in place rather than actually following hand movements. Probably just pre-scripted animations keyed to in-game events (like leaning over to whisper)?

Still neat, though. I like that they're explicitly designing the game to be played remotely in small groups rather than trying to turn it into an in-person party game somehow. Who in t he world has room for 6 different VR setups? Heh.
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 15 Mar 2016, 16:34:01

It's an XBox thing, can't the Kinect do the tracking? For all their talking about bringing social cues into the VR space, one would hope they're at least doing some actual tracking.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 15 Mar 2016, 16:43:57

Admetus wrote:It's an XBox thing, can't the Kinect do the tracking? For all their talking about bringing social cues into the VR space, one would hope they're at least doing some actual tracking.

There's currently nothing planned commercially for the XBox VR-wise though (HoloLens is still in the infancy stages). While they don't seem to mention the platform anywhere I can find, the Xbox controllers probably indicate that they're using Oculus since that's what will be getting shipped with the Oculus at launch time (the special Oculus Touch controllers that do hand tracking are a separate thing it seems).
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 16 Mar 2016, 16:01:07

I have to say it. My first thought upon seeing the topic was "TWG goes Velvet Room".

You know, I've never mauled an angel before

That just makes it hotter :eyebrow:

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 15 May 2017, 12:43:58

Oh, FCM and I tried this last PAX West; totally forgot to mention that here. It was an interesting experience, but the limited motions/expressions of the avatars really lends itself to vocal players easily controlling the game. I was a villager and got completely railroaded by an incessantly vocal wolf.

At one point, it was mentioned that you could lean to the left or right to whisper to the player whose avatar was seated there around the virtual bonfire, and so FCM and I tried it because we were both seated next to each other in game and in meat space... and our VR helmets bumped into each other.

I do think it's a fun, unique way to play Werewolf, but I would never choose it over cards and live interaction; its practical purpose would be an alternative way for a group like our's to play.

Return to “The Village Pub III”