The Games Idea Thread

The last place you'll ever drink away the day...again.
User avatar
Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus
Posts: 4257
Joined: 13 May 2013, 18:27:41
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Tennessee (US Central Time)

The Games Idea Thread

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 09 Jul 2013, 16:17:29

So instead of cluttering up the GM queue thread with half-baked ideas that need more time on the top rack of your oven at 350F, here's a nice, warm place to incubate. :)

Link to the last thread for some inspiration.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Ozymandias » 29 Jul 2013, 04:47:29

dferrantino wrote:Anyone up for another Quantum (in like 5 months when this queue runs dry)

I think you may need to rethink Quantum a bit.

Although the mid-game is really interesting, it's kind of a slow starter (because there's so little info), and then the endgame invariably gets really difficult for the Wolves to win, since most players are more likely to resolve as Human than Wolf, and thus are (a) heavily incentivized to reveal their Dead/Wolf percentages to resolved Humans, and (b) psychologically predisposed to not want to "switch teams" and become a Wolf. (That's why I tried so hard to win the last Quantum game as a Wolf, a plan I sadly had to abandon after I would up in a late game position as the most likely Human.)

I wonder if quantum might work better if the two factions had an equal number of players on both teams?

Each faction would have a Seer + Vig, and the two teams would alternate Night mauls.

This way, if someone resolves as a member of one faction in the endgame due to Seer resolution, it won't matter so much-- unlike the current situation where resolved Humans can form a Human Alliance that can cripple the Wolves fairly easily.

Also, it might make the start of the game more fun, because everyone would have more reason to Vig someone in the first day or two, because there'd be a ~50 chance you'd kill an eventual enemy (as opposed to the current ~75% chance of Vigging an eventual teammate). And of course you'd be twice as likely to resolve as a Vig ...

User avatar
Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 3729
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:43:55
TWG 1 Posts: 0
custom_title: Birthday Boy
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Admetus » 29 Jul 2013, 06:58:51

That does sound interesting. I only skimmed through the linked quantum game once upon a time, but it did seem like people were willing to do things they wouldn't have in a normal game just for the sake of creating a human win.

User avatar
dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5563
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:37:12
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: NYC (EST/GMT-5)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby dferrantino » 29 Jul 2013, 09:09:16

Ozymandias wrote:
dferrantino wrote:Anyone up for another Quantum (in like 5 months when this queue runs dry)

I think you may need to rethink Quantum a bit.

Although the mid-game is really interesting, it's kind of a slow starter (because there's so little info), and then the endgame invariably gets really difficult for the Wolves to win, since most players are more likely to resolve as Human than Wolf, and thus are (a) heavily incentivized to reveal their Dead/Wolf percentages to resolved Humans, and (b) psychologically predisposed to not want to "switch teams" and become a Wolf. (That's why I tried so hard to win the last Quantum game as a Wolf, a plan I sadly had to abandon after I would up in a late game position as the most likely Human.)

I wonder if quantum might work better if the two factions had an equal number of players on both teams?

Each faction would have a Seer + Vig, and the two teams would alternate Night mauls.

This way, if someone resolves as a member of one faction in the endgame due to Seer resolution, it won't matter so much-- unlike the current situation where resolved Humans can form a Human Alliance that can cripple the Wolves fairly easily.

Also, it might make the start of the game more fun, because everyone would have more reason to Vig someone in the first day or two, because there'd be a ~50 chance you'd kill an eventual enemy (as opposed to the current ~75% chance of Vigging an eventual teammate). And of course you'd be twice as likely to resolve as a Vig ...

I think part of the problem we've had in the previous Quantum games, and it's likely to be an issue going forward as well, is the free-sharing that most players get into when they assume they're Human. This can't be helped except by removing the amount of information you have available to share or by otherwise discouraging the sharing of information, both which I tried to do in game 40 with varying levels of success.

In a nutshell, I think you're right: it's fundamentally flawed as a concept unless there's more downside to sharing your information outright. Most players (here, at least) have no qualms about working with other players when they assume they're all on the same team. In Quantum it's compounded: you can fairly easily influence the team you're on. In addition, it's easier to force a vanilla human role than it is to make yourself a wolf due to the checks in place when roles are calculated. Thus, a dedicated group can gather enough information and power that they can control the vote to get outsiders lynched, then if RND is being bitchy, cull from within given the information that's all been freely shared.

Zark and I started discussing an extension of the Inception game after yours and Ionitor's, and one of the ideas I mentioned was nesting Quantum into it at one of the levels, or possibly using it to seed the levels above. Problem with that is that it doesn't fix the other problem, which that it takes a few days for the game to really get started.

User avatar
Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus
Posts: 4257
Joined: 13 May 2013, 18:27:41
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Tennessee (US Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 01 Aug 2013, 13:08:38

Ozymandias wrote:
dferrantino wrote:Anyone up for another Quantum (in like 5 months when this queue runs dry)

I think you may need to rethink Quantum a bit.

Although the mid-game is really interesting, it's kind of a slow starter (because there's so little info), and then the endgame invariably gets really difficult for the Wolves to win, since most players are more likely to resolve as Human than Wolf, and thus are (a) heavily incentivized to reveal their Dead/Wolf percentages to resolved Humans, and (b) psychologically predisposed to not want to "switch teams" and become a Wolf. (That's why I tried so hard to win the last Quantum game as a Wolf, a plan I sadly had to abandon after I would up in a late game position as the most likely Human.)

I wonder if quantum might work better if the two factions had an equal number of players on both teams?

Each faction would have a Seer + Vig, and the two teams would alternate Night mauls.

This way, if someone resolves as a member of one faction in the endgame due to Seer resolution, it won't matter so much-- unlike the current situation where resolved Humans can form a Human Alliance that can cripple the Wolves fairly easily.

Also, it might make the start of the game more fun, because everyone would have more reason to Vig someone in the first day or two, because there'd be a ~50 chance you'd kill an eventual enemy (as opposed to the current ~75% chance of Vigging an eventual teammate). And of course you'd be twice as likely to resolve as a Vig ...


Interesting concept. I assume that the win condition would then change to "complete eradication of the other team" instead of wolf parity/wolf elimination?

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Ozymandias » 01 Aug 2013, 17:21:38

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:Interesting concept. I assume that the win condition would then change to "complete eradication of the other team" instead of wolf parity/wolf elimination?

Yes. Interestingly, even if everyone resolves in the end game, so that for example Team A has three players left and Team B just two, if Team A's Seer is dead then the resolved players may not know who their teammates are, so Team B could still win.

User avatar
dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5563
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:37:12
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: NYC (EST/GMT-5)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby dferrantino » 01 Aug 2013, 19:34:49

Ozymandias wrote:
Iron Clad Burrito wrote:Interesting concept. I assume that the win condition would then change to "complete eradication of the other team" instead of wolf parity/wolf elimination?

Yes. Interestingly, even if everyone resolves in the end game, so that for example Team A has three players left and Team B just two, if Team A's Seer is dead then the resolved players may not know who their teammates are, so Team B could still win.

So how would you organize this then? The back end of this game gets convoluted enough with Human-Wolf, but with two teams with their own maul it seems like it'd get totally batshit. How, for instance, do I resolve a maul target for each night, even if it's after the fact?

Don't know if you remember, but the reason for there being Alpha, Beta, etc wolves is so we don't have to resolve the entire wolf team before people start dying at night. I believe modifying it to act like this would require that I do that, unless each team also had an Alpha equivalent. It's a really interesting idea though.

User avatar
dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5563
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:37:12
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: NYC (EST/GMT-5)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby dferrantino » 01 Aug 2013, 19:37:16

Hm...I think I have an idea of how it'd work, though. Think I'll put together a sim to see if I'm thinking this through properly. Just need to reinstall SQL...

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Ozymandias » 01 Aug 2013, 20:40:23

dferrantino wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Iron Clad Burrito wrote:Interesting concept. I assume that the win condition would then change to "complete eradication of the other team" instead of wolf parity/wolf elimination?

Yes. Interestingly, even if everyone resolves in the end game, so that for example Team A has three players left and Team B just two, if Team A's Seer is dead then the resolved players may not know who their teammates are, so Team B could still win.

So how would you organize this then? The back end of this game gets convoluted enough with Human-Wolf, but with two teams with their own maul it seems like it'd get totally batshit. How, for instance, do I resolve a maul target for each night, even if it's after the fact?

Don't know if you remember, but the reason for there being Alpha, Beta, etc wolves is so we don't have to resolve the entire wolf team before people start dying at night. I believe modifying it to act like this would require that I do that, unless each team also had an Alpha equivalent. It's a really interesting idea though.

The two teams would alternate mauls, so effectively it would be like a regular Quantum game, but with two Wolf teams (each with Alpha, Beta, etc.)

Let's call the two teams Red and Blue-- Red gets their first maul on Night 1.

Everyone submits a maul on Night 1. The Night 1 victim obviously has to be on the Blue team.

So if someone's Night 1 target ever resolves as Red (or, as in a normal Quantum game, gets lynched or vigged), then that player cannot resolve as the Red Alpha.

The Blue team gets their first maul on Night 2.

Everyone again submits a maul on Night 2, and the same logic applies. Only those players who have mauled someone who could be the Red maul victim on Night 2 would be able to eventually resolve as the Blue Alpha.

And then repeat the process on Nights 3/4, 5/6, etc.

On the one hand, the alternating maul will delay resolution of the Alphas, so that might be problematic.

However, the presence of two seers (who would each be able to see Red/Blue) should lead to someone resolving as a Seer earlier in the game, which I think will speed up resolution of the Alphas. Two Vigs should also help.

So I think in principle it can work.

EDIT: The Red team has an advantage in the above scenario because they maul first. So if there are an odd numbers of players, then the Blue team should start out with the extra one. If it's even, then you might want to distribute the mauls to Red on Night 1, Blue on Nights 2+3, Red on Nights 4+5, etc. (Or you can keep the Red advantage as a slight incentive for players to try to force themselves to resolve as Red.)

User avatar
Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 3729
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:43:55
TWG 1 Posts: 0
custom_title: Birthday Boy
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Admetus » 02 Aug 2013, 07:02:03

I wonder why wolves can only maul the opposition, but vigilantes can shoot anyone. Shouldn't the vigilante only correctly resolve if his target has resolved to his team's seer?

User avatar
dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5563
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:37:12
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: NYC (EST/GMT-5)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby dferrantino » 02 Aug 2013, 07:58:36

I think the main problem with keeping an Alpha structure in a game like that is that I'd be out around Mu for each team. At that point, trying to figure out majority might be easier than keeping track of 24 wolf states.

Can't include unresolved team members when deciding whether a maul has actually taken effect, though, so IDK, maybe it would be better to just go that far out.

User avatar
Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 1393
Joined: 03 Aug 2013, 07:27:01
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Rictus » 12 Aug 2013, 08:46:08

Inspired by the current elemental game...
Have we ever had a poker-themed game?

Couple of different ways to handle it, but I'm thinking of a combination of Texas hold 'em and Guts.

Each player would get two cards, with another 5 in the middle (day thread). At EOD, you declare "in" or "out".
From among the "in", various rewards are given based on the winning hands. So the top hand might get lynch immunity and a vig shot. 2nd place would be lynch immunity and a vote manip power. I would guess that the top 1/4 to 1/3 would get some sort of power.

Everyone who is "in" is up for lynch the next day. So there is a real risk to being "in".

If you declare "out" then there is some minor penalty. Maybe you can only declare "out" 3x a game, or give up a token (which could then be given as a reward to the pot). Or maybe just being "out" is penalty enough. You'll miss out on rewards and might draw heat for dodging the lynch.

Trying to figure out the wolves. A standard maul seems ok to start with.

I think the in/out dynamic would give additional data for the humans to analyze.


Thoughts? Is it too much work?
Charming, to the last.
.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5770
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:28:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Ozymandias » 12 Aug 2013, 09:19:32

This sounds pretty awesome!

You know, I wonder if it might even work better as a game we play LIVE over the course of two or three hours.

We could call it "TWG Poker Night" ...

User avatar
dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 5563
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:37:12
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: NYC (EST/GMT-5)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby dferrantino » 12 Aug 2013, 09:27:54


User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Hellheart » 19 Aug 2013, 12:44:03

I would love to see a game in the Phoenix Wright universe, although I'd never in a million years GM a TWG. The kernel of this idea includes the roles of Defense (Wright) and Prosecutor (player's choice, although we'd need a special "Manfred von Karma" font if he went that route), which are NOT assigned randomly but rather assigned to a pool of volunteers for each role (who would be willing to RP the shit out of it because let's face it, typing "HOLD IT!" in giant blue letters only to be slapped down by "OBJECTION!" in giant red letters is friggin' awesome).

I've had this boil around in my mind for awhile, so here's some of my thoughts about a potential system. Some or all of this may not be feasible, but I'd have no idea of how to judge that :P

[+] Imaginary Rules
Those two roles (Defender and Prosecutor) have win conditions; although the game doesn't end if they win, their counterpart cannot win as well. Pride is on the line here - the player that makes the better reads (the "better player") will most likely win and can lord it over his counterpart. The Prosecutor would win if he accuses and successfully lynches X players - regardless of whether or not they are wolves, which means that X would probably be more than half of the participating players - and the Defense would win if he accused and successfully lynched a much smaller number of wolves as the "real" killer after successfully defending the person that the Prosecutor chose. As will be explained later, the Defender can get credit for lynching a wolf if the wolf was originally accused and the Defender's counter-accusation fails.

At the start of each day, every living player will be given a piece of "evidence" for the guilt of a wide range of players (1/4 or 1/2 of the players in the game), chosen randomly, and "evidence" for the innocence of a smaller range of players (the wolves get as many options for innocence as they do for guilt), also chosen randomly. Each player submits evidence of guilt for between 0 and X players through a PM to the Prosecutor, and submits evidence of innocence for 0 to (less than X) players in a PM to the GM. Players that fail to send any PM will have the max number of evidence for both guilt and innocence chosen randomly by the GM. Each wolf can choose to forge and submit a single piece of guilty evidence for any player, which is extremely powerful in tandem with their ability to cooperate but could potentially backfire. At EOD, which would be earlier than 11 ET, the Prosecutor chooses a player to accuse of murder. The GM starts the courtroom session and PM's the innocent evidence for the accused player to the Defender.

The courtroom session plays out with as much drama as possible; if the accused has more evidence of guilt than innocence he is lynched, otherwise the Defender now must "turn the tables" and accuse some other player. Note that this is a blind accusation, as the Defender has no idea how many pieces of evidence were submitted in either direction for any player. The GM can either PM the guilt evidence to the Defender and the innocence evidence to the Prosecutor and let them enact the courtroom drama in reverse, or he can just narrate what happens and reveal the pieces of evidence. If the new accused has more pieces of guilt than innocence, he is lynched; if he has more pieces of innocence, the person that was originally accused is lynched (Wright's gambit fails).

Powers here could be quite fun. One player would be a Fey and would serve as a seer. The Defender knows the identity of the Fey and will automatically know her seer result each day, so she is his ace in the hole wrt his win conditions. The Fey counts as two people for the purposes of the Prosecution's goal for winning, so if the Defender drops hints about her identity it will backfire. Other roles and powers should be assigned at the GM's discretion - Gumshoe could screw up one or more pieces of evidence for a player, Larry could serve as a GA by risking himself instead, etc.

The Defender and Prosecutor have their own powers. The Defender can choose to Bluff at any point in his defense of a player - if any of the evidence for guilt is forged the Defender immediately gets to accuse somebody else, otherwise that player is immediately lynched. This is a strong counter to mass-forging by the wolves. The Prosecutor can manipulate the evidence for a similar potential backfire - for example, a crooked witness to add (1 or 2?) additional pieces of guilty evidence, but if the Defender still wins then the non-Fey player with the most guilty evidence is automatically accused by the defendant.

At the beginning of the next day, the tally of evidence submitted by each person is revealed. Wolves can hide pretty well for quite a long time by being smart with their innocence evidence and forges (a successful Bluff reveals to everybody that at least one wolf submitted evidence of guilt for a player).

It would be a really interesting dynamic - there's no maul, but the wolves can coordinate and they're the only players that can submit guilty evidence on anyone. More evidence of guilt can be submitted than evidence of innocence, and there must be a lynch every single day. The Prosecutor and Defender must rely heavily on smart reads of the whole playerbase in order to make correct decisions. The Prosecutor doesn't have to choose the person with the largest amount of guilty evidence, particularly if he suspects that some of it may have been forged or if he thinks that another player isn't going to have ANY evidence of innocence. The Defender needs to figure out who the wolves are, keep the Fey alive as long as possible, and make smart counter-accusations (including accusing somebody who likely has NO evidence of guilt if he thinks that the person originally accused is a wolf). The wolves are trying to influence the prosecutor to accuse humans by coordinating and sometimes forging votes for guilt...and by heaping votes for innocence on players that the Defender is likely to counter-accuse. The humans are just trying to muddle their way through this mess and not die ;)
Last edited by Hellheart on 19 Aug 2013, 12:52:45, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2925
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:15:42
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Minnesota (Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Ionitor » 19 Aug 2013, 12:51:49

Hellheart wrote:although I'd never in a million years GM a TWG

See, you say that, and then something like this strikes you, and you mull it over, and pretty soon you've redefined the term "bastard mod". Careful.

And the game idea looks potentially very interesting. However, I think you would have to spread each "day" out over multiple RL days; there tend to be several players that only can/choose to post about once per day, so a multi-step process could complicate things for them.

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Hellheart » 19 Aug 2013, 12:55:49

Ionitor wrote:
Hellheart wrote:although I'd never in a million years GM a TWG

See, you say that, and then something like this strikes you, and you mull it over, and pretty soon you've redefined the term "bastard mod". Careful.

And the game idea looks potentially very interesting. However, I think you would have to spread each "day" out over multiple RL days; there tend to be several players that only can/choose to post about once per day, so a multi-step process could complicate things for them.

As I envision it the normal players only have one step - they PM their selections for guilt and innocence to two separate people, and all special roles blindly choose their targets as in a normal TWG. Only the Prosecutor and Defender have to do extra work, but they don't have to do ANYTHING until EOD other than try to make reads. Then they make their calls and roleplay it out. The GM would have to put in a lot of work, although it's more data entry than anything else.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4362
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 05:36:16
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737
Location: Bloomington, IL (Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby sphenodont » 19 Aug 2013, 13:05:00

Hellheart wrote:I would love to see a game in the Phoenix Wright universe


I had fun RPing Phoenix Wright as a sub-role back in rekard's Choose-Your-Own-Adventurer game. (My main was Chairman Kaga.)

User avatar
DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 4139
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:41:36
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King
Location: Dayton, OH - Eastern Time

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 26 Aug 2013, 12:57:09

Ruminating on a team game / everyone's special based on the Tarot Deck, possibly with Major Arcana split among teams and sociopaths. Nothing more fleshed out, other than each suit would have powers geared in the same direction, but didn't want to forget the concept.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4362
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 05:36:16
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737
Location: Bloomington, IL (Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby sphenodont » 26 Aug 2013, 12:58:32

I mentioned it in passing at the old forum, but I've been toying with the idea of a "Nine Princes in Amber" themed game, with heavy influence from the RPG. Basically, the setting would be Chaosian shapeshifters infiltrating the One True City, but the game would essentially be "how special do you want to be?" Like the RPG, players would get 100 points to spend on various abilities or qualities, so if you've been feeling bummed that you never get to be the vig, well... you can buy that. Or Seer status. Or death-avoidance. Of course, if you spend all your points on abilities, you might have lower attributes backing them up, so your Seer attempt might fail against someone with better mental skills.

Still on the back-burner, and it might be worth a small experimental run before trying it on the group at large.

User avatar
rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
Posts: 6300
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 15:27:18

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby rekard » 26 Aug 2013, 15:36:13

I would personally say to just limit that to powers. Put attributes in there and you can look forward to 1-2 hours of checking powers and numbers. Although, for the pool of powers you can sort of randomize it for each player or you risk having all people choosing the same power imbalancing the game in a bad way.

User avatar
FurinMirado
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2530
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:55:18
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Indianapolis, IN - Eastern Time Zone

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby FurinMirado » 26 Aug 2013, 15:44:28

I've been listening to the "Welcome to Night Vale" podcast lately and have been toying with the idea of running a vanilla game set in Night Vale. But the more I think about it the more I want to have special powers for certain named characters. Cecil, Carlos, Old Woman Josie, etc.

Of course unless most people have listened to the podcast any references will be for nothing.

User avatar
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
Posts: 3138
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:35:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Not in the server room, not jacking off. Honest.

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby twdog » 27 Aug 2013, 08:21:55

sphenodont wrote:I mentioned it in passing at the old forum, but I've been toying with the idea of a "Nine Princes in Amber" themed game, with heavy influence from the RPG. Basically, the setting would be Chaosian shapeshifters infiltrating the One True City, but the game would essentially be "how special do you want to be?" Like the RPG, players would get 100 points (or whatever) to spend on various abilities or qualities, so if you've been feeling bummed that you never get to be the vig, well... you can buy that. Or Seer status. Or death-avoidance. Of course, if you spend all your points on abilities, you might have lower attributes backing them up, so your Seer attempt might fail against someone with better mental skills.

Still on the back-burner, and it might be worth a small experimental run before trying it on the group at large.


I'd be up for a test game, fwiw. That said ...

rekard wrote:I would personally say to just limit that to powers. Put attributes in there and you can look forward to 1-2 hours of checking powers and numbers. Although, for the pool of powers you can sort of randomize it for each player or you risk having all people choosing the same power imbalancing the game in a bad way.


... I think rekard is right here. I've only GM'd one game, but it's really made me reconsider how much per cycle GM processing I really want to do.

Here's a quick idea. Perhaps you should do it where people could roll a character RPG style before day 1. Perhaps you could do something like having stats for certain powers, and then stats for offense and defense. People could put 100 points across stats, with no stat changes once the game starts. Like:

offensive power: 40
defensive power: 0
suppress night powers: 0
GA protect maul: 0
GA protect vig: 0
vig day time: 0
vig night time: 30
seer stats: 0
seer team: 30
send PM: 0

This player is tailored for an offensive anti-wolf vig\seer hybrid. Then at night you just compare stats for power usage. Player A wants to seer Player B. Just compare A's offensive+seer vs. B's defensive score. So resolving night actions would be reasonably quick. You could do a different formula or stats or points; it only matters that it's quick and non-random. To make it more interesting, don't tell people if they're wolf or human until after they've rolled their character.

Anyway, do what you like, but after my game I feel that quick night resolution is important, just for GM sanity if nothing else.

--

edit:


I suppose the other thing to think about is the danger of the potential for everyone to get a seer power by dumping their points into the optimal config for that one role. Mass seering will end the wolves pretty quick if the players can confirm a several humans and wolves every night.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4362
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 05:36:16
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737
Location: Bloomington, IL (Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby sphenodont » 27 Aug 2013, 08:38:02

Well, like I said, it would require more planning and probably testing. I wouldn't be directly apeing the ADRPG, but the attributes would likely be used for tie-breaker situations and would be static, excepting edge cases where something might be boosted. For speeding up night-action resolution, I would definitely need to have a helper program to handle all the conflicts (probably Excel and copious vba).

I'll try to get something written up so I can get a test game going before too long.

User avatar
Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 1393
Joined: 03 Aug 2013, 07:27:01
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Rictus » 27 Aug 2013, 09:01:32

Brainstorming here:

What if you had points for the lynch?

1. Everyone gets 500pts for the entire game. You vote for someone for lynch, you state how many points you want to spend on them. As soon as someone reaches 300 points, they're lynched. At the end of the day, the person with the highest total is also lynched. Players could have multiple votes (and point spends) in one day.


Obviously all of this can be tweaked.
Charming, to the last.
.

User avatar
DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 4139
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:41:36
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King
Location: Dayton, OH - Eastern Time

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 27 Aug 2013, 09:02:59

Rictus wrote:Brainstorming here:

What if you had points for the lynch?

1. Everyone gets 500pts for the entire game. You vote for someone for lynch, you state how many points you want to spend on them. As soon as someone reaches 300 points, they're lynched. At the end of the day, the person with the highest total is also lynched. Players could have multiple votes (and point spends) in one day.


Obviously all of this can be tweaked.

I think Omega's multi-team game used a point-based lynch system similar to that, and it seemed to work well.

User avatar
Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2668
Joined: 04 May 2013, 15:03:44
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353
Location: Oceanside, CA (PST)
Contact:

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Omega » 27 Aug 2013, 09:25:04

DastardlyOldMan wrote:
Rictus wrote:Brainstorming here:

What if you had points for the lynch?

1. Everyone gets 500pts for the entire game. You vote for someone for lynch, you state how many points you want to spend on them. As soon as someone reaches 300 points, they're lynched. At the end of the day, the person with the highest total is also lynched. Players could have multiple votes (and point spends) in one day.


Obviously all of this can be tweaked.

I think Omega's multi-team game used a point-based lynch system similar to that, and it seemed to work well.


Yep. The setting was awful, but the bidding mechanics worked really well.

User avatar
Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2925
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:15:42
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Minnesota (Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Ionitor » 27 Aug 2013, 09:32:15

Yeah, virtually any game (with discrete "moves" or decisions) can be converted into a bidding variant (say, tic-tac-toe). You can choose the complexity almost entirely by deciding how much of the bidding process to make public before and after the results are determined.

User avatar
Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 3729
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:43:55
TWG 1 Posts: 0
custom_title: Birthday Boy
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Admetus » 27 Aug 2013, 11:15:21

Consider putting the threshold to lynch at no less than the game-budget of a person. Otherwise you've given every single person 1.5 vigs and you're still having lynches, too. Other possible tweaks, just throwing stuff out there -- treat these as independent suggestions:

Divide the lynch/vig victim's remaining cash among the survivors.
Or divide it among the ones that voted to lynch him -- that would create quite a different vote pattern from normal.
-edit- Or divide it among the ones that DIDN'T vote for him. Woah.

Maybe don't lynch on a day when a person dies from reaching the threshold.

Maybe use the same points for night actions.

Maybe spend points immediately for a vote, and only partially refund on vote retraction. That could cause a bit of a pileup at the end of day. Maybe counteract that with discounted or multiplied votes earlier in the day (1.2 votes per point before the 12 hour mark, for instance).

Maybe instead of a vigilante, you could have a role of a person who gets an allowance of points every morning. That means he'd have more budget, thus more killing power.


There's a lot of flexibility. I like it.

User avatar
FurinMirado
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2530
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:55:18
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Indianapolis, IN - Eastern Time Zone

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby FurinMirado » 27 Aug 2013, 15:56:12

You could make people bid to be one of the special roles. It would have to be done privately and players would be forbidden from discussing what they bid on.

Any points you bid are gone forever. Whoever bids the highest gets the role. Players can spend their remaining points on stats.

So lets say each player gets 1000 points. 3 people bid 1000 points to be the vigilante. The vigilante is chosen by RNG among those three. The two that lose end up as vanilla humans with zeroes in all stats.

User avatar
RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
Posts: 3851
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 11:13:22
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore
Karma: +69/-96
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby RaveBomb » 10 Sep 2013, 06:50:32

Casino themed games game.

This is reminiscent of the LotR game, but without the sudden death flame-out on Day 5.

No wolves. Multiple teams.
Each team is given a fixed number of vigs/mauls.
Objective is to be the last team (man) standing.
Possible hidden roles (sociopaths?)

Each day there will be one (or more) contests that can award a winning team an additional power.
EG: Day 2 might see a showdown similar to the Tombstomb game between player(s) and NPC(s).
Day 3 might see a hand of black jack played in public.
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
RB: I shot the seer didn't I? Omega: Of course you did.

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Hellheart » 11 Sep 2013, 11:53:03

Has anyone ever tried to run a TWG in the Paranoia setting, with 6 backup clones and the whole shebang? I'm sure one of the regular GM's would love to run a game where they rack up dozens more kills than the wolves Communists do :lol:

EDIT: 6 clones. Most Paranoia games seem to begin by killing everybody, so it usually ends up being 5 clones anyway ;)
Last edited by Hellheart on 11 Sep 2013, 13:06:52, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
Posts: 3851
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 11:13:22
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore
Karma: +69/-96
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby RaveBomb » 11 Sep 2013, 13:01:57

*snerk*
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
RB: I shot the seer didn't I? Omega: Of course you did.

User avatar
Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 4572
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 15:38:04
TWG 1 Posts: 0
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder
Location: Holland, Michigan

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Okaros » 11 Sep 2013, 13:05:42

I believe Game XIV was a Paranoia-based game, with some... interesting... results. But that could just be because Mortus was running it. :eyebrow: :lol:
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

User avatar
DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 4139
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:41:36
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King
Location: Dayton, OH - Eastern Time

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 11 Sep 2013, 13:19:22

I think most of the Paranoia games were just held in the original Village Pub via a singleton thread for each (since Days and Nights hardly mattered); I think they also did an IRC version, IIRC. Mortus typically hosts those, but it has been a stretch since he's done one.

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Hellheart » 11 Sep 2013, 14:15:03

Okaros wrote:I believe Game XIV was a Paranoia-based game, with some... interesting... results. But that could just be because Mortus was running it. :eyebrow: :lol:

Thanks. That was a very amusing way to spend an hour :D

User avatar
Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 1393
Joined: 03 Aug 2013, 07:27:01
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Rictus » 11 Sep 2013, 18:07:25

RaveBomb wrote:Casino themed games game.

This is reminiscent of the LotR game, but without the sudden death flame-out on Day 5.

No wolves. Multiple teams.
Each team is given a fixed number of vigs/mauls.
Objective is to be the last team (man) standing.
Possible hidden roles (sociopaths?)

Each day there will be one (or more) contests that can award a winning team an additional power.
EG: Day 2 might see a showdown similar to the Tombstomb game between player(s) and NPC(s).
Day 3 might see a hand of black jack played in public.

Where is the LoTR game? Would love to read it.
Charming, to the last.
.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4362
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 05:36:16
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737
Location: Bloomington, IL (Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby sphenodont » 11 Sep 2013, 18:09:49

Rictus wrote:Where is the LoTR game? Would love to read it.


Game XLVII

User avatar
Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
Posts: 3729
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:43:55
TWG 1 Posts: 0
custom_title: Birthday Boy
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Admetus » 11 Sep 2013, 18:10:02

I think I skimmed that briefly: TWG XLVII

-edit- tried to link to the game directly, didn't work. spheno has you covered.

User avatar
Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 1393
Joined: 03 Aug 2013, 07:27:01
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Rictus » 11 Sep 2013, 18:16:50

Well that's embarrassing. I was a dwarf in that game.
Charming, to the last.
.

User avatar
Smirker
Post Courtesan
Posts: 4302
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 16:56:18
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: CST - USA

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Smirker » 11 Sep 2013, 18:19:07

Rictus wrote:Well that's embarrassing. I was a dwarf in that game.

Don't be embarrassed you were a dwarf! I mean, it's understandable -- but racist! :lol:

User avatar
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2908
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 09:13:21
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Hellheart » 11 Sep 2013, 21:20:04

What about a "masked accounts" variant where a masked account is created for the name of every person that's playing (ie, "TWG-Hellheart"). Players are randomly assigned the masked account for a different player. The purpose of the game is either to mimic that person's posting style/behavior as convincingly as possible, or to mock it so well that everybody wants to keep you around. Every day, players vote to lynch two (or more, depending on time constraints) people who aren't convincing enough until there are (5 or 3) players left.

Of course, some players wouldn't follow the rules and would vote for players that voted for them, or made odd arguments. Or they would just vote for Ozy. That's part and parcel of playing your assigned role :)

Some accounts have additional constraints because they're only worth using if they're mocked instead of copied. "TWG-San," for example, could post what San is thinking when he actually makes his posts...or it could be how San would post if he wasn't, you know, San and posted more than twice a day like a normal player.

For additional amusement, the GM could "randomly" select a few players that get their own masked account, just to see how long they survive :lol:

User avatar
Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus
Posts: 4257
Joined: 13 May 2013, 18:27:41
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Tennessee (US Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 11 Sep 2013, 21:59:38

Hellheart wrote:What about a "masked accounts" variant where a masked account is created for the name of every person that's playing (ie, "TWG-Hellheart"). Players are randomly assigned the masked account for a different player. The purpose of the game is either to mimic that person's posting style/behavior as convincingly as possible, or to mock it so well that everybody wants to keep you around. Every day, players vote to lynch two (or more, depending on time constraints) people who aren't convincing enough until there are (5 or 3) players left.

Of course, some players wouldn't follow the rules and would vote for players that voted for them, or made odd arguments. Or they would just vote for Ozy. That's part and parcel of playing your assigned role :)

Some accounts have additional constraints because they're only worth using if they're mocked instead of copied. "TWG-San," for example, could post what San is thinking when he actually makes his posts...or it could be how San would post if he wasn't, you know, San and posted more than twice a day like a normal player.

For additional amusement, the GM could "randomly" select a few players that get their own masked account, just to see how long they survive :lol:


...I smell so many levels of butthurt coming out of that...

User avatar
Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2668
Joined: 04 May 2013, 15:03:44
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353
Location: Oceanside, CA (PST)
Contact:

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Omega » 12 Sep 2013, 00:36:45

The meta game from TWG2 was somewhat similar to that idea...

User avatar
Nitestorm
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 1379
Joined: 31 Jul 2013, 04:38:27

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Nitestorm » 12 Sep 2013, 05:14:33

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:
Hellheart wrote:What about a "masked accounts" variant where a masked account is created for the name of every person that's playing (ie, "TWG-Hellheart"). Players are randomly assigned the masked account for a different player. The purpose of the game is either to mimic that person's posting style/behavior as convincingly as possible, or to mock it so well that everybody wants to keep you around. Every day, players vote to lynch two (or more, depending on time constraints) people who aren't convincing enough until there are (5 or 3) players left.

Of course, some players wouldn't follow the rules and would vote for players that voted for them, or made odd arguments. Or they would just vote for Ozy. That's part and parcel of playing your assigned role :)

Some accounts have additional constraints because they're only worth using if they're mocked instead of copied. "TWG-San," for example, could post what San is thinking when he actually makes his posts...or it could be how San would post if he wasn't, you know, San and posted more than twice a day like a normal player.

For additional amusement, the GM could "randomly" select a few players that get their own masked account, just to see how long they survive :lol:


...I smell so many levels of butthurt coming out of that...


I pity whoever gets my masked account. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2925
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:15:42
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Minnesota (Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Ionitor » 12 Sep 2013, 05:50:47

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:
Hellheart wrote:What about a "masked accounts" variant where a masked account is created for the name of every person that's playing (ie, "TWG-Hellheart"). Players are randomly assigned the masked account for a different player. The purpose of the game is either to mimic that person's posting style/behavior as convincingly as possible, or to mock it so well that everybody wants to keep you around. Every day, players vote to lynch two (or more, depending on time constraints) people who aren't convincing enough until there are (5 or 3) players left.

Of course, some players wouldn't follow the rules and would vote for players that voted for them, or made odd arguments. Or they would just vote for Ozy. That's part and parcel of playing your assigned role :)

Some accounts have additional constraints because they're only worth using if they're mocked instead of copied. "TWG-San," for example, could post what San is thinking when he actually makes his posts...or it could be how San would post if he wasn't, you know, San and posted more than twice a day like a normal player.

For additional amusement, the GM could "randomly" select a few players that get their own masked account, just to see how long they survive :lol:


...I smell so many levels of butthurt coming out of that...

Yeah, we tend to do much better around here when we mock people to their face. Which is actually much less facetious than it sounds.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4362
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 05:36:16
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737
Location: Bloomington, IL (Central Time)

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby sphenodont » 12 Sep 2013, 06:44:11

Omega wrote:The meta game from TWG2 was somewhat similar to that idea...


Yeah, we went that route with the Forum game because we didn't want to step on any toes.

(And if we stepped on twdog's toes, it's because we were just stamping out the vampire bats that were nibbling on them.)

User avatar
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
Posts: 3138
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:35:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Not in the server room, not jacking off. Honest.

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby twdog » 12 Sep 2013, 09:07:25

sphenodont wrote:
Omega wrote:The meta game from TWG2 was somewhat similar to that idea...


Yeah, we went that route with the Forum game because we didn't want to step on any toes.

(And if we stepped on twdog's toes, it's because we were just stamping out the vampire bats that were nibbling on them.)



I don't know if you even can step on my toes anymore in this group; I've flanderized the hell out of myself here. I've unintentionally turned myself into "the paranoid guy that's terrified of vampires." I just roll with it now, because I find it amusing.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

User avatar
Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
Posts: 2668
Joined: 04 May 2013, 15:03:44
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353
Location: Oceanside, CA (PST)
Contact:

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby Omega » 12 Sep 2013, 09:12:24

twdog wrote:
sphenodont wrote:
Omega wrote:The meta game from TWG2 was somewhat similar to that idea...


Yeah, we went that route with the Forum game because we didn't want to step on any toes.

(And if we stepped on twdog's toes, it's because we were just stamping out the vampire bats that were nibbling on them.)



I don't know if you even can step on my toes anymore in this group; I've flanderized the hell out of myself here. I've unintentionally turned myself into "the paranoid guy that's terrified of vampires." I just roll with it now, because I find it amusing.


Don't forget about being our resident Master of Baiting in the Server Room!

User avatar
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
Posts: 3138
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 13:35:13
TWG 1 Posts: 0
Location: Not in the server room, not jacking off. Honest.

Re: The Games Idea Thread

Postby twdog » 12 Sep 2013, 09:22:07

Omega wrote:
twdog wrote:
sphenodont wrote:
Omega wrote:The meta game from TWG2 was somewhat similar to that idea...


Yeah, we went that route with the Forum game because we didn't want to step on any toes.

(And if we stepped on twdog's toes, it's because we were just stamping out the vampire bats that were nibbling on them.)



I don't know if you even can step on my toes anymore in this group; I've flanderized the hell out of myself here. I've unintentionally turned myself into "the paranoid guy that's terrified of vampires." I just roll with it now, because I find it amusing.


Don't forget about being our resident Master of Baiting in the Server Room!



That wasn't my fault! Marisa isn't even my type!
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank


Return to “The Village Pub III”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest