F5 - The Refresh Strikes Back

The last place you'll ever drink away the day...again.
Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Re: F5 - The Refresh Strikes Back

Postby Visigoth » 07 Aug 2018, 16:40:27

Thought there might be a game starting soon. Or was DastardlyOldMan being a dastardly old man?

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 08 Aug 2018, 09:13:16

Yeah - I'm slacking (partially - building up the table of elements and powers ahead of time for this game), but I can at least get a signup thread going.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 08 Aug 2018, 10:36:20

Stealth edit:
#Vote for: in

Now, onto what I was writing before the “Post Review” interrupted the train of thought:

I probably shouldn’t be, but I am researching Porsche Boxsters. I have a 2 hour plus each way daily commute from Helms Deep to New York City, & when I signed on for that, I had a fun convertible mustang and a Prius.

I still have the Prius. What’s missing is the fun.

I put about 35-40k a year on my daily driver. Taking one season a year & 10k on a fun ride extends the life of my 3 season car, so it’s a responsible decision... right?

Older Boxsters are priced similarly to newer/used Miatas, but aren’t for the faint of heart or budget unless you do your own upkeep, which I am comfortable doing in my garage. They both have a robust community behind them, but i know where my preference would be.

I’d feel like I was cheating on you guys if I started hanging out over there without at least discussing it first.

So, oh den of wolves. How irresponsible should Zark be?

More in a bit?

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 08 Aug 2018, 10:37:41

Tony Stark should have his toys.

e: or is that Ztark?

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 08 Aug 2018, 11:59:13

See I agree with that concept. Thank you DOM. If my wife sees me coming in from the garage with a smile and grease covered hands, that’s not a good thing if I don’t have some kind of project going on out there.

Boxster has the edge over Miata for the same price. But... every once in a while a 911 drifts into my play funds range.

2000 Porsche 911 for $13,995 on Autotrader

They made a ~lot~ more of the boxsters than the 911’s for any given model year, which means larger shade tree mechanic ownership, more parts in the secondary chain (used and supporting vendor new parts). They Boxster is also mid engine vs 911 rear and lighter weight.

Last, there were a couple of model years where the 911 used exactly the same engine as the Boxster so engine parts (not transmission) are pretty interchangeable.

Those specific 911’s are considered less valuable: almost as if they are a heavier Boxster. On the other side. They’re a friggin 911 priced like a Boxster.

I kind of rank my play car by 7 year old Zark standards. I’d have fun in either one.

More in a bit?

7z7
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353

Postby Omega » 08 Aug 2018, 13:54:33

A gearhead I am not.

That said, I do place considerable value on the intangible happiness. I would hope Mrs. Zark would understand how happy you'd be coming in from the garage with that smile on your face and grease covered hands.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 09 Aug 2018, 08:47:07

Potential defect in that line (IMS bearing), be careful: http://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/buy ... yers-guide

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 09 Aug 2018, 12:31:35

Yep. I’m debating IMS carefully - specifically get a car where the swap has already been done or buy with the intent of that being a winter project Porsche didn’t design that out until ~2008. My budget skews 97-2004 era.

Good write up @ http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/4557/t ... lly-afford

There are very robust guides for 911 and the Boxster/Cayman twins, but this is a decent good bad ugly summary across various models.

Long story short: unless you turn the wrench you are paying the guy to turn the wrench. She’s an expensive mistress either way.

More in a bit?

7z7

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 10 Aug 2018, 12:17:16

Next time I look for a car, I know who I'm going to ask.

stdio
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby stdio » 12 Aug 2018, 19:43:17

7-zark-7 wrote:I’d feel like I was cheating on you guys if I started hanging out over there without at least discussing it first.

More in a bit?

7z7

Get a Cayenne, then no one can have fun

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 15 Aug 2018, 18:48:10

stdio wrote:
7-zark-7 wrote:I’d feel like I was cheating on you guys if I started hanging out over there without at least discussing it first.

More in a bit?

7z7

Get a Cayenne, then no one can have fun

You misspelled Cayman. I specifically want a convertible, but am willing to compromise for a mid or rear engined Porsche.

An SUV is not a Porsche.

More in a bit?

7z7

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 25 Aug 2018, 14:25:12

7 year old Zark is very happy.

More (speed) in a bit

7z7

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 27 Aug 2018, 20:34:51

7-zark-7 wrote:Image

7 year old Zark is very happy.

More (speed) in a bit

7z7

I don’t know anything about cars. Cats, I know. But that car is pretty!

I know that can’t be you in the driver’s seat, because that’s not at all how I picture you.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 28 Aug 2018, 10:44:19

7-zark-7 wrote:7 year old Zark is very happy.

More (speed) in a bit

7z7

But how does the wife feel about it?

Congrats! I was concerned for a second: the reflection of the car next to you in the quarter panel looked like a huge dent. Glad it was just my eyes playing tricks.

I'll probably be looking for something fun myself soon as well. We had an unfortunate incident with a brand new Mercedes that ended in us replacing our Accord V6 with a CRV. The decision made sense on pretty much every metric besides "Dan really like driving the Accord", so we find ourselves here. I think it'll be easy enough to justify getting another car, but convincing Wife to drop the "fits a car seat in the back" requirement is going to take some finesse...

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 28 Aug 2018, 12:55:41

Wife is good with it, but my kids objected to lack of a back seat. The reality is I commute 2 hours each way every day. My other car is a Prius and my wife typically drives her car if we go somewhere as a family.

This is a toy / 1 season car that will slumber during the winter & get iterative maintenance.

It also lets me take the prius offline on the summer and extend the life of the car.

I actually made the argument based upon finance (something that’s hard to do with a convertible) that a three car household was less expensive than buying a newer Prius. Let’s see if that argument holds water

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 28 Aug 2018, 19:16:26

So, I've been wandering around for a year now, and it's been everything that I hoped it would be. Lots of great experiences, great people, great sights. I did hit some burnout on moving place to place so often (four days or a week was the norm for one spot, two weeks about the maximum), and I've been getting a dose of stability back in the states for the last couple of months. I've covered the ANZ region pretty well, with three months in NZ and close to six in 'Straya', and was prepping to head back over to Japan, China, Vietnam, Laos, etc., etc. . . when I got a call with an offer I couldn't refuse. Soooo (and it's *almost* official now), I'm taking a 6-12 month job based in London, where I can do some exploration of Europe, while still having a bed to come back to. Going to be a bit tricky to balance the accumulation of goods, but I can't quite live out of the backpack and hold down a day job; going to at least have to buy a pair of shoes, I guess.

Hopefully be able to catch a Clearasday sighting while I'm there, as well - but if any of you find yourselves in the UK (or relatively nearby), give a shout.

Cheers!

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 28 Aug 2018, 20:35:44

I think I missed the reason for you going all walkabout instead of staying in cypon-occupied Ohio, but I'm also envious. I never got to be in London* but Straya is beautiful.

* I have officially been to London, but it was due to American Airlines fucking up and not checking my luggage all the way to Kuwait. My passport is stamped and all. But I never got farther than the British Airways ticket counter before heading back to the gate.

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 04 Sep 2018, 07:56:53

So here's where I bum you all the fuck out.

My return to these boards has been a distraction for me. Life has been difficult this year. On consecutive months I've had my wife and both parents in the hospital. I spent 3 months tag-teaming with my sister to make sure there was adequate care for the parents. It was a 2 hour drive for me, and a four hour flight for her. I finally got them moved to my town 4 months ago.

Last month I had my parents each in the ER on consecutive nights. Dad came home fine, Mom did not. We ended up with hospice care for her. She was miserable ever since. She passed away about 4 hours ago.

I'm sad, somewhat, but honestly untreated mental illness meant she wanted this for a long time. She had pushed away nearly everyone who cared, leaving 2 of her 3 kids and her husband as the only ones really mourning; everyone else feels sorrow FOR us.

I honestly don't know why I'm going this deep into the conversation. Just take care of your mental health and try not to fuck your relationships with everyone.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 04 Sep 2018, 08:16:55

Condolences, ICB - never easy to deal with.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 04 Sep 2018, 11:03:47

That's sad to hear. I hope things start to get better for you.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 04 Sep 2018, 19:38:16

Ben,

Reading this with sincere sympathy. It’s difficult when your parents are the ones who need to be cared for. Odds are many tried to provide words of comfort, and some missed the mark in ways you might not give voice. They mean well.

Hospice can be a godsend, and I hope they treated your mom and you with the respect deserved. I’m sorry for the rough times.

You have friends here who warmly welcome you back for as much or little time as you can spend. And tonight I lift a glass for you and yours. Should life take you to NYC or thereabouts, first round is on me.

Best,

Steve

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 10 Sep 2018, 11:25:14

My condolences. Losing a parent is rough on its own, but with both of them and your wife having issues I'm sure it's been super stressful. I hope at least your wife and dad are in better health, and your dad especially so...grief is tough both mentally and physically.

Should life take you to NYC or thereabouts, first round is on me.

And the second's on me.

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 11 Sep 2018, 12:04:47

My condolences ICB
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 11 Sep 2018, 18:02:46

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:So here's where I bum you all the fuck out.

Not a bummer, totally understandable how these boards can feel a distraction or even an obligation at times over the fun this community is intended to provide. My sympathies are with you and your family. Take not only all the time you need but also all the time you want, and we will all be happy to welcome you back whenever you feel it appropriate.

Aldax

Postby Aldax » 26 Sep 2018, 14:54:45

Orthodontics is a marvelous thing, you are basically using metal wires to...coerce your teeth to align themselves. It also is a huge pain in the ass (and the aforementioned teeth), I haven't been able to eat properly for almost 2 weeks now.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 26 Sep 2018, 17:12:16

I had a retainer as a kid, meant to correct a small cross/overbite. Think if a dentist told me I needed one nowadays I'd tell them to fuck off.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 01 Oct 2018, 18:50:40

I had braces throughout high school. My wisdom teeth started shifting (impacted - lots of problems getting them out but I’m changing the subject). I had to go back on braces in college.

Grateful for the smile as it’s earned. Hoping you get results quickly and without too much pain along the way.

More in an overbite,

7z7

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 03 Oct 2018, 09:41:33

Testing testing - is this thing on?

Gentlemen (and the occasional Catmother and Visigoths’s girlfriend if she is still around, and of course, future ladies). I am wondering, are you in the mood for a game?

Clearly, I cannot be trusted with the awesome powers and responsibilities of the big red block of text

The GM says this:

agreed

Um, yeah. Probably going to hear about that.

Long story short

too late

ahem... do I come to %Humorous_and_deragatory_place% when you’re working and interrupt you when you are %Doing_That_Thing_you_do_that_lessens_people’s_opinion%

I have an idea for a game. A quick in and out before I go all Nanomowrimo

It’s NaNoWriMo. Gods.

Anyway... I’m looking for a co-gm. Must be blessed with infinite patience and willing to do the lion’s share of the work, while I occasionally show up, hit things with a flavortext hammer and plug back into my broadcast recharging niche.

In short, I’m looking for Someone to keep this from going off the rails. (Capitalized as autocorrect originally thought I wanted to type Simone. I grant this person will earn their capital, and that I may refer to them as Simone)

Would you like to know more?

7z7

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 04 Oct 2018, 19:02:02

Hope someone takes you up on the proposal, Zark; unfortunately, it cannot be me.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 05 Oct 2018, 08:51:14

More (speed) in a bit

7z7

Inspired by your story, I decided to push a bit harder for something a lot more fun. Wife wouldn't drop the car seat requirement, but as it turns out, cars.com does car seat checks on their sports cars, and the new Mustang GT can fit a rear-facing infant seat with enough room for a 6'4 passenger and even with the top down can fit all of the accouterments that travel with said infant. One simple massively-in-depth budget review later, I got permission to pull the trigger.

Unfortunately, the price tag and my inability to drive stick have prevented me from getting something truly ridiculous, but pending responses from the dealers, I'll be driving one of these 3 beauties within the next two weeks.

Aldax

Postby Aldax » 05 Oct 2018, 09:54:18

dferrantino wrote:

More (speed) in a bit

7z7

Inspired by your story, I decided to push a bit harder for something a lot more fun. Wife wouldn't drop the car seat requirement, but as it turns out, cars.com does car seat checks on their sports cars, and the new Mustang GT can fit a rear-facing infant seat with enough room for a 6'4 passenger and even with the top down can fit all of the accouterments that travel with said infant. One simple massively-in-depth budget review later, I got permission to pull the trigger.

Unfortunately, the price tag and my inability to drive stick have prevented me from getting something truly ridiculous, but pending responses from the dealers, I'll be driving one of these 3 beauties within the next two weeks.

All of them look cool, it's a shame that they are prohibitively expensive here (they also paint a giant target on your back, but I'm changing the subject). Regarding Zark's co-gm duties I'd love to because it's high time I actually GM a game but I can't right now, work has been... interesting, to say the least because someone thought it would be a fun idea to send 3 gargantuan projects my way (2 of them start Development mid-December and last until 2020 at best), so I don't want to say I'll try and GM it only to end up disappointing you guys

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 09 Oct 2018, 14:46:32

Aldax wrote:I don't want to say I'll try and GM it only to end up disappointing you guys

I mean I set the bar pretty low here in my last time at bat.

dferrantino wrote:Hey little fast car, I’ve got a plan to get us out of here

I’ve owned 3 Mustangs, two of them black convertibles. (2007 GT @ 300 HP, 2013 V6 @ 305 HP). The first was purchased before we had kids with very similar research and “hey honey, it’s a great dad car” conversations with the wife. The second was purchased about a year before we bought our house.

The trunk is a lot bigger than it looks on these. It even fit my wife’s huge wheeled running stroller.

Tell Mrs Dferrantino that Zark approves of your well researched automotive choices. If she’s on the fence at all this is bound to help

More in a bit,

7z7

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 15 Oct 2018, 07:24:05

Price was right, deposit's in place, just waiting on the dealer trade logistics. If all goes well, they'll be shipping my car from Freehold to Union early this week, and I'll own it by this weekend.

Ended up going with this one. 2019 with everything but the summer tires: https://www.freeholdfordcars.com/new/Fo ... e09a00.htm

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 15 Oct 2018, 18:12:42

Nice. Now you just need to find somewhere fun to test it out.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 16 Oct 2018, 09:39:24

Also, I think this calls for a NYC area mini drop-top meet before I put mine away for the winter. Any interest?

More RPMs in a bit,

7z7

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 16 Oct 2018, 13:40:18

I'm down. Need to break this thing in before I hide it for the winter as well.

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 17 Oct 2018, 14:35:37

Back guys, sorry work has been a bit crazy but I'm committed to murdering you all a good many more times if I get my way.
THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE IS JUST CLEARASDAY.

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 22 Oct 2018, 19:25:07

Anyone heard of Initiative Q? It's free to sign up and could reap benefits if it kicks off. It's pretty much risk-free, all you need to do is sign up, so if you're uncomfortable giving them information, then you're kinda screwed. lol

To quote someone else:

This is a new currency and payment network built by ex-PayPal guys, called Initiative Q. The Q currency is currently being allocated for free if you are invited by an existing member.

The idea is that if millions of people join, Q could become a leading payment network, and, according to well-known economic models, that means the value of the reward would be around $130,000.

The amount you reserve decreases every day, and each member has a limited number of invites. I can only accept 5 people, so if you're interested in signing up and spreading the word, PM me. Thanks!

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 23 Oct 2018, 09:03:40

It's not a crisis if you enjoy it.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 23 Oct 2018, 21:34:34

dferrantino wrote:It's not a crisis if you enjoy it.

That is a beautiful car. Congrats Dan!

More in a bit,

7z7

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 04 Nov 2018, 18:36:55

7-zark-7 wrote:
dferrantino wrote:It's not a crisis if you enjoy it.

That is a beautiful car. Congrats Dan!

More in a bit,

7z7

++

That's gorgeous.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 15 Nov 2018, 16:40:52

Always being upstaged by cousin Mike.

https://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=851

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 15 Nov 2018, 20:41:35

Boards should be open - I've passed the GM hat over to rekard.

Should be getting my moving orders by this time next week, so by Turkey Day, I expect to be a ~temporary resident of the UK.

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 15 Nov 2018, 21:02:53

You will be on Clear time! Got any job openings?

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 16 Nov 2018, 07:36:43

Actually, my first responsibility is to build up a team in London, so I'll have lots of job openings . . . identity, authentication, and entitlement software engineers with lots o' AWS services, caching, & Ping Federation OTS software.

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 16 Nov 2018, 22:56:15

Ohh well. My specialty is performance testing. One doesn't lose anything by asking. What kind of team are you building? If you are allowed to talk about it, of course.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 17 Nov 2018, 05:42:10

I don't have the full details yet (I haven't officially been offered the position yet - have to wait xx days for it to be posted locally before they can hire a dirty Yank), but basically an augment to the existing team back in Dayton. Someone who can work closer with the London and Amsterdam offices timezone-wise, but basically just another squad. I managed three or four squads before I departed, but this one won't have any official responsibility (I'll hire this team, but I won't be the manager). I'm also there to bust some heads technically, keep people in line so that they stop abusing the giant shared system. I *might* need performance testing - we've got pretty rigorous perf requirements (< 50 ms on most transactions), and if I do, I can definitely ping ya.

Return to “The Village Pub III”