F5 - The Refresh Strikes Back

The last place you'll ever drink away the day...again.
Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 0
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Re: F5 - The Refresh Strikes Back

Postby Admetus » 30 May 2017, 08:04:04

No worries, I checked a few times that night but then kind of forgot about it once weekend activities picked up.

That commute sounds pretty rough. It's a drivable trip, but I wouldn't do it just any day.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 30 May 2017, 08:14:48

Eh, such is life when you live in the suburbs. While I'm only like a 40ish minute drive into the city without traffic, my normal commute (bus into PABT) is about twice that, and I've definitely had days where it took me upwards of 2 hours. Not looking forward to all of the overflow traffic when they start shutting the trains down this summer.

That said, I'm close enough to both the Parkway and the Turnpike that Philly's only a 90 minute drive. Not an every-day thing, but short enough that weekend trips are reasonable.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353

Postby Omega » 30 May 2017, 12:18:54

dferrantino wrote:Eh, such is life when you live in the suburbs. While I'm only like a 40ish minute drive into the city without traffic, my normal commute (bus into PABT) is about twice that, and I've definitely had days where it took me upwards of 2 hours. Not looking forward to all of the overflow traffic when they start shutting the trains down this summer.

That said, I'm close enough to both the Parkway and the Turnpike that Philly's only a 90 minute drive. Not an every-day thing, but short enough that weekend trips are reasonable.

There were a few weeks while I was living in Philly that I had clients in Newark or north Jersey and didn't get a hotel paid... So I did that drive in reverse every day. Certainly something I'm glad didn't become an every day thing!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 30 May 2017, 23:55:25

Wife and I are considering houses in Connecticut... with my job in northern NJ, that puts my daily commute close to 2 hours each way.

Not looking forward to that as a daily grind. I may end up switching to NYC as an office to be able to make it more of a train commute rather than driving every day.

More n a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Gungnir888
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Gungnir888 » 31 May 2017, 04:48:32

That takes a toll quickly. I had a 4.5 hour commute for several months due to Atlanta area traffic. We were renting an apartment at the time in one of the outskirt suburbs, and fighting the main traffic flow in both directions. Highway driving is one thing, but dealing with traffic for that amount of time on a daily basis was too demanding for me. We left the apartment at the first available opportunity and moved significantly closer to my office.

Audiobooks can be a lifesaver if you wind up making the drive. Clearly alternate transit methods that allow the travel time to be productive would be preferred. Tack on 4 hours of commute to a 9 hour work day, and you are looking at pretty minimal personal time during the week. Is there any potential to telecommute a day or two a week?

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 31 May 2017, 05:17:28

I'll stick with a nice mid-sized city and my 9-minute commute :)

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 31 May 2017, 06:05:03

DastardlyOldMan wrote:I'll stick with a nice mid-sized city and my 9-minute commute :)

My 10-minute commute is jealous of you.
#Vote for: DOM
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 31 May 2017, 06:53:43

Okaros wrote:
DastardlyOldMan wrote:I'll stick with a nice mid-sized city and my 9-minute commute :)

My 10-minute commute is jealous of you.
#Vote for: DOM

Join the sub-ten minute commute club!

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 31 May 2017, 07:26:57

Just work from home every day.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 31 May 2017, 07:37:28

If I had my way, my wife and I would always go into Philly instead of New York for recreational activities. We're actually headed there on Saturday for a nice meal out and then just general walking around.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 31 May 2017, 07:45:16

Admetus wrote:Just work from home every day.

I'll admit having the option is nice, but the savings on air conditioning by going to the office is nicer.

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 31 May 2017, 09:17:50

I can say that the 3 months I worked from home have been the best 3 months of my life
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 31 May 2017, 10:57:36

Aldax wrote:

I can say that the 3 months I worked from home have been the best 3 months of my life

Been working from home for 8 months, it has been fantastic. Though, this is also the busiest I've ever been at work.

I wonder if the two are correlated...

Separately, my girlfriend changed jobs and went from at 45 min commute each way to 3 miles and <10 mins.

Shane
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby Shane » 18 Jun 2017, 07:59:03

There's something distinctly wrong with two weeks of silence in the F5 thread.

More in a bit, please?

Shane-Zark-Shane

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 18 Jun 2017, 08:00:49

I tend to agree. This thread needs more cowbell.

Happy Father's Day to those so inclined. We're off to have some family fun today.

What are the non-Zarkowski's doing?

More in a bit,

7z7
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 18 Jun 2017, 11:14:04

Busy summer here - had my 20 year college reunion last weekend, a stage show with the dance studio yesterday, volleyball twice a week, etc. The big news is probably that come end-of-summer, I'm buggering out of the job and going off to wander around the world a bit. Sold my house, have a fair chunk of change in the bank, and retirement funds are in good-enough shape that I can take a couple of years of downtime. Aiming for NZ for a couple of months, and then I'm going to go pretend to be an Aussie for half a year or so, but no real agenda or timeline (at least, not yet) - just kind of play-by-ear from there.

Aldax

Postby Aldax » 19 Jun 2017, 09:59:38

That sounds amazing!

I've been just droning here and juggling like 4 different projects. Thank god I'm on an administrative role now
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 23 Jun 2017, 17:18:27

Made an offer on a house today - waiting to hear back. That's right, the Zarkowskis are going suburban.

More in a bit,

7z7

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 26 Jun 2017, 06:02:58

7-zark-7 wrote:Made an offer on a house today - waiting to hear back. That's right, the Zarkowskis are going suburban.

More in a bit,

7z7

Whereabouts?

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 27 Jun 2017, 22:37:26

So I've been talking back and forth with an old acquaintance about opening up a game store, likely in the Poconos. Location is good, nearby competition is terrible or nonexistent, and he has experience running a store.

After a couple month of talking about it but nothing happening, I'm getting cold feet. I really don't have the money to invest, and after owning a supposedly successful store in the Buffalo area for a few years, he also doesn't have the money to start with. He wants to bring on an investor for a small part in ownership, but I'm not really fond of that idea. Other issues came up involving his trustworthiness, and I don't want to tie myself down to this area either.

Obviously it sounds like I want to back out, and I will, but I have been pushing it off. I hate to be the bad guy, and since he hasn't done anything to directly provoke it, I don't know exactly what to say without sounding like an asshole. He's moving back to the area so I'm probably going to see him around more, so I understand things may be awkward, but I would like to minimize any apprehension he may end up harboring towards me.

I'm also concerned whether I'm making a bad decision by backing out, since I have a huge tendency to avoid large commitments.

Any thoughts/advice?

Gungnir888
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Gungnir888 » 28 Jun 2017, 05:01:50

Jrsthethird wrote:So I've been talking back and forth with an old acquaintance about opening up a game store, likely in the Poconos. Location is good, nearby competition is terrible or nonexistent, and he has experience running a store.

After a couple month of talking about it but nothing happening, I'm getting cold feet. I really don't have the money to invest, and after owning a supposedly successful store in the Buffalo area for a few years, he also doesn't have the money to start with. He wants to bring on an investor for a small part in ownership, but I'm not really fond of that idea. Other issues came up involving his trustworthiness, and I don't want to tie myself down to this area either.

Obviously it sounds like I want to back out, and I will, but I have been pushing it off. I hate to be the bad guy, and since he hasn't done anything to directly provoke it, I don't know exactly what to say without sounding like an asshole. He's moving back to the area so I'm probably going to see him around more, so I understand things may be awkward, but I would like to minimize any apprehension he may end up harboring towards me.

I'm also concerned whether I'm making a bad decision by backing out, since I have a huge tendency to avoid large commitments.

Any thoughts/advice?

I was previously a partial owner and manager of a restaurant. The warning signs you mention are pretty significant, and more than adequate reason to back out or proceed with extreme caution. If you would be making an investment, whether via reduced salary if you will be working there or up front cash, it is reasonable to ask to see the P&L or accounting books for the existing business. A game store may be self sustaining without generating enough profit for additional investment, but that also raises some concerns. The typical atmosphere is more than just a generic retail shop, but the market outlook for retail is bleak, to say the least.

If you aren't comfortable reviewing financials yourself, it is worth taking them to a CPA and paying for an hour or two of their time. It will cost a few bucks up front, but to prevent the chance of catastrophic financial failure, it is worth it. Regarding getting into business with friends, it can be tricky. The best advice I can give is to make sure you separate the business from the personal, express that up front, and treat the business analysis portion like it was coming from a complete stranger.

It sounds like fun, and being passionate about work can lead to great results, but I'd want to see some evidence that running a store can provide a living wage for three investors.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 28 Jun 2017, 05:17:22

Agreed with Gungnir on "check it out first"; my thoughts:

On the one hand - cold feet about a major decision is completely understandable.

On the other hand - financially and generally, this sounds like a bad decision. "Acquaintance" (not friend). Questions about reliability / trustworthiness.

On the other other hand - doing something you really love can be just as important as the financial aspects, depending on your priorities and situation (kids to get through college, robot army to build & maintain).

If you're going to back out, be absolutely clear that you are backing out; don't hedge it. As to why? I would really just state that you're not comfortable with the financial risk involved, and you're not ready to put your financial stability on the line (I'm not clear what your role in this is - are you contributing financially, or quitting your job to work/manage full-time?)

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 28 Jun 2017, 08:03:01

I agree with all the points Gungnir and DOM raise, but will go slightly further:

Game stores (whether RPG, Board, or Both) are *ridiculously* thin margin business. If you're at all worried about the financial risk (both in the riskiness of the business sense as well as your own personal/family financials) I'd recommend staying far away, as running a game store will absolutely wind up being a labor of love and not something that's going to put your robot army through college.*

*I have several friends involved in various aspects of the RPG/Games industry, both on the design/production side and the retail sales side. Their messaging over the years has been very emphatic on these points.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 28 Jun 2017, 13:53:54

Okaros wrote:I agree with all the points Gungnir and DOM raise, but will go slightly further:

Game stores (whether RPG, Board, or Both) are *ridiculously* thin margin business. If you're at all worried about the financial risk (both in the riskiness of the business sense as well as your own personal/family financials) I'd recommend staying far away, as running a game store will absolutely wind up being a labor of love and not something that's going to put your robot army through college.*

*I have several friends involved in various aspects of the RPG/Games industry, both on the design/production side and the retail sales side. Their messaging over the years has been very emphatic on these points.

I came in for something like this... ~any~ retail is thin margin, niche/disposable income retail all the more so.

Look at the clearance shelf at any given brick & mortar store - it tells a depressing story of balancing acts gone wrong & inventory sold without profit to make space for things which will actually move.

Go to Home Depot the morning after a blizzard. Ask for a snow shovel. Enjoy the laughter of the employees at the guy who didn't plan ahead. Think about how someone weighed the numbers of shovels to buy for the winter knowing that they would lose less money by having insufficient stock for burst traffic than getting stuck with dozens of them come spring. Come warmer weather, that space could be better used for bulbs and grass seed that would likewise hit clearance in the winter.

I suspect the huge up front cost for items in stock & retail space is why he is seeking a partner. Without a big enough ante, he has to make tough choices and the customer buys it off Amazon before they've even left your establishment.

If there's reliability / reporting concerns going in, it's not a savvy investment. Labor of love? Perhaps.

To that end, I'd be curious what the driver is for having a retail space vs online & pop-up-selling these days. If it's for the sense of community, it may be a better fit to host gaming tournaments - rent out a hotel conference space near PAX-ComicCon-RobotArmyPalooza & deal the cards & roll the 20 sided dice. Have the inventory of those consumables on hand for those who are new or may have left their kit at home, & an onsite presence to sell beyond. Hell, do it in Colorado & get some dispensaries to provide "Catering". You get to satisfy your desire to get your feet wet, & if that is successful enough to justify a larger investment, you've already identified your target customers & can keep the lights on.

If it's not, you haven't lost as much as your upfront costs would be for the store.

More in a bit,

7z7

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 28 Jun 2017, 15:16:03

I think part of the issue for me is that I know margins are thin on most products. Magic singles, on the other hand, are huge. 50% markups vs buy prices, and that's in store credit. Cash is even higher. But the problem is that, to really pick up the inventory you need to really take off, you need to vend at larger events. That is a huge investment in and of itself. A friend of mine was talking to one of the booths at GP Vegas and they spent $33,000 to set up the booth (space, labor, travel, lodging, etc), before any cards are even bought or sold. Then they want to buy as many cards as possible, which means over the 5 day event they're likely shelling out at least the same amount in cash, if not more. It sure is lucrative if you can get up to that level, but I don't get the impression that either of us is willing to push the business to that magnitude. His previous store was successful in his local community, but I don't think they ever had a regional presence and traveled to other events to buy and sell cards.

I think I enjoy playing too much to get in on the business side, at least right now. I've done some personal collection buying and selling online and I'm fine doing that, but it's nice to be able to put my inventory aside for a few weeks and take a break. Not the case if it's my full-time business.

I think this is something I'll always have in the back of my mind that I would like to do, but I think I've come to terms that this is not the right time and place to do it.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 28 Jun 2017, 16:37:32

Yeah. The collectible market is, at its core, a vastly different beast than a proper "games" store, and is in fact one of the ways that "games" stores can keep themselves afloat financially; using the actual games as loss/low-margin leaders to get people interested/hooked on the ultra-high-margin collectibles aspect. And this applies to both the collectible card (game or otherwise) market as well as the somewhat harder-to-support rare/collectible board/RPG game market.

The other variation I've seen work with some limited success is to actually head away from the RPG/Board aspect as the main point and instead focus on related merch that's higher-margin/broader-appeal: Puzzles. There's a chain of game stores in Indiana that pretends to be a traditional CCG/RPG/Board "games" store on its face but actually dedicates about 3/4 of its space to puzzles and in fact does most of its profit/revenue from puzzle sales. It made for some weird customer interactions at times.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 28 Jun 2017, 18:52:24

I wonder what the acquaintance considers a "success"

Having seen these types of hobbyist stores and buddies getting into business together happen a few times now in the Poconos area (The Encounter, G3, Gamer's Edge), it has never ended well for the business partners, most of them struggling with their investment and eventually selling their share. The store environments are another aspect to consider, most of these stores attract younger crowds without a lot of disposable income and who take up store space and staff time without much return; add in the fact that the environment can very quickly become toxic and non-inclusive if certain clientele become the bread and butter and the store can't risk losing them so basically lets them run amok (this was an issue I mentioned to Gamer's Edge due to the shitty behavior of their CCG players, but was told they more or less pay the bills for the store so nothing was said or done about them).

I'd say your hesitations coupled with the fact that it is probably very difficult and unlikely for this type of hobbyist business to truly succeed in a way that would leave you comfortable means do not get involved!

As for how to approach your acquaintance on backing out, if they know how to properly separate business and personal, it should be no issue and they should understand; if they don't and they take personal offence to it, well consider that a bullet dodged in itself.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 28 Jun 2017, 18:58:10

Zark wrote:I suspect the huge up front cost for items in stock & retail space is why he is seeking a partner. Without a big enough ante, he has to make tough choices and the customer buys it off Amazon before they've even left your establishment.

This resonates with me -- going a little off topic, maybe. I've allocated a decent chunk of money into board games for my collection, and every time I paid 150% of Amazon's cost just to support the local store, I have some buyer's remorse to work through. They're nice people, and I have played a game or two at their Wednesday night board game sessions. I've played far more often with non-store-based board game groups, though. I don't use the store folks as a resource for tips on new games to pick up, I already get enough of that from friends, board-game-group people, online forums, etc. What am I supporting, and why shouldn't I just pick the lowest price from Amazon?

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 28 Jun 2017, 19:00:39

Looking at the Steam summer sale, trying to decide on a few games...

Namely, No Man's Sky. I see a couple of you already own it, and I know it launched poorly but has since been heavily added to; its reviews are horrible but I believe that is mostly due to the fact that a lot of people felt "cheated" by its initial launch. A few prominent industry folk I follow have spoken highly of their own time with the game. I was hoping to get a few more opinions from people I trust (depending on context).

Okaros wrote:
Gungnir888 wrote:

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 28 Jun 2017, 21:12:29

I found No Man's Sky to be ultimately rather boring at Launch time. On Bartle's taxonomy It's an extremely explorer-heavy, with a dash of Achiever, with zero Killer/Socializer appeal. I found the overall gameplay and procedural generation to ultimately be very shallow, although still an impressive technical feat to pull off even at it's far-short-of-developer-promises level *cough*NoMultiplayerAtAll*cough*. Supposedly they've added more stuff (more ships/tech, I think?) after release, so I've tentatively got it in my queue for a revisit sometime in vague future but I'm not holding my breath.

Ultimately I would say "skip it" unless you're also heavily into pure Explorer games.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 28 Jun 2017, 21:28:55

Okaros wrote:Ultimately I would say "skip it" unless you're also heavily into pure Explorer games.

I actually am heavy into exploration games provided there is something driving that exploration; walking
simulators, despite the term originating as pejorative, aptly describes one of my favorite genres -- Gone Home being one of my favorite games of all time, however that is obviously very narrative focus and I gather NMS is a "make your own narrative" style of exploration.

Gungnir888
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Gungnir888 » 29 Jun 2017, 05:11:18

I largely enjoyed the game. Most of my game time was spent on discord with a few buddies, and we would occasionally interject with the random stuff we found. There are about a dozen different biospheres I really remember encountering. I ran into a critter I dubbed the space badger, which immediately launched a discussion on misnomers, because if it was planet side, could it really be a space badger? Deciding to capitalize on my semantical distraction, it and a few of its buddies tore me apart pretty quickly.

The narrative is primarily given through obscure statements that semi fit together. It leaves a lot of room for conjecture, so if you don't mind feeling like a bit of a space archaeologist/historical sociologist, it may work out on that front. I'm sure fan theories are prevalent with a quick google, but you can get a decent sense of the history of the alien races and some insight into what may have happened in the galaxy.

I haven't played since the initial launch patches, and I have some remorse over paying launch price for the game. The screenshots you see are what you get, so if you are interested in the psychedelic color palette and want a game that you can relax with, it isn't a bad choice. I fully intend to go back once any ongoing development is complete. If I had to peg a dollar value to my enjoyment, I'd estimate at $20.

stdio
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby stdio » 03 Jul 2017, 10:21:45

... and I'm back

DastardlyOldMan wrote:Busy summer here - had my 20 year college reunion last weekend, a stage show with the dance studio yesterday, volleyball twice a week, etc. The big news is probably that come end-of-summer, I'm buggering out of the job and going off to wander around the world a bit. Sold my house, have a fair chunk of change in the bank, and retirement funds are in good-enough shape that I can take a couple of years of downtime. Aiming for NZ for a couple of months, and then I'm going to go pretend to be an Aussie for half a year or so, but no real agenda or timeline (at least, not yet) - just kind of play-by-ear from there.

Wow, and insanely jealous. Are you going to taunt us now? "Sorry guys, I'd love to play in your game, but I'm just so exhausted from all these months of tramping around the south pacific without a care in the world. Plus, I gotta still plow through another 6 months, ugh, feels like it never ends, fml right? Anyway, better get back to it, gotta keep the nose on the grindstone, those reefs aren't going to take their own photos. See you next game."

---

I've been gone because the few weeks have been a sprint to get a new application launched. It launched this morning, actually. We've been live for a whole 5 hours at this point, and nothing's gone horribly wrong yet. I know 5 hours is nothing, but that's still better then I can say about some other launches.

I always feel sick when we ship a new app. We've done plenty of internal testing, I have no reason to think anything will go wrong, but still I always feel queasy when we actually go live. I'm at my house right now with a drink watching the metrics, and I see people using the app and see their data hitting our servers, and everything seems fine, but I keep waiting for some giant blow up. Like I said, I have no reason to think there will be a giant blow up, but it's just a gut reaction. Like this has been in the works for the better part of 2 years. We've been holding client meetings about this thing, and doing design documents, and specing the infrastructure, plus all the coding, and the feedback meetings, and the end user test phase, and now that it's actually up and public and real people are using it, it's not some mockup, it's not just code in a test enviroment ... I want to throw up.

This is the same as how I feel about presentations I given. You write up notes on what you want to say, maybe make some slides if appropriate, rehearse it a few times, and you feel good about it, but then I get up on a podium and look at a room of people, and I think, like, what the hell am I even doing up here? I'm not some top expert in my field, I'm just some guy! But anyway, I take a breath and get into it, but inside I'm thinking oh, shit, oh, shit, oh, shit, oh, shit...

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 03 Jul 2017, 10:39:53

Wellll, I did turn in my resignation on Friday - so maybe a little gloating is in order :D Four weeks' notice, so I'm not there yet, but the end is in sight - and then a few weeks of getting taxes and drivers licenses and booster shots and such in order, giving away the rest of my earthly possessions, and all that - probably won't really *start* travelling until September. I'm excited, but nervous - and yeah, TWG time will be wifi-dependent, I suspect.

My timing around this, though, is exactly what you're talking about. Our Go/No Go discussion is this coming Friday on a huge new app, and I wanted to see that one out the door before I wandered off and abandoned my team :(

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 05 Jul 2017, 10:48:35

DastardlyOldMan wrote:Wellll, I did turn in my resignation on Friday - so maybe a little gloating is in order :D Four weeks' notice, so I'm not there yet, but the end is in sight - and then a few weeks of getting taxes and drivers licenses and booster shots and such in order, giving away the rest of my earthly possessions, and all that - probably won't really *start* travelling until September. I'm excited, but nervous - and yeah, TWG time will be wifi-dependent, I suspect.

My timing around this, though, is exactly what you're talking about. Our Go/No Go discussion is this coming Friday on a huge new app, and I wanted to see that one out the door before I wandered off and abandoned my team :(

Congratuatlions, DOM. If you wander to Southern California, do let us know. I'm sure I can get Augie out to a bar for a bit.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 10 Jul 2017, 05:18:59

You hear a muffled thud from the shogoth tank:

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 10 Jul 2017, 21:16:18

Also, mom sends her love:

More in a bit,

7z7

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 10 Jul 2017, 21:17:33

Someone's already busy getting themselves into the proper frame of mind for the next game...

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 11 Jul 2017, 12:23:47

Okaros wrote:Someone's already busy getting themselves into the proper frame of mind for the next game...

Hmm -

in yon GM signup queue, an entity known only as 'Okaros' wrote:I'll tentatively take the back half of July. Unknown theme atm.

I am so down for unknown theme atm. So long as it's the kind that gives out money, that is.

Also a bit curious what you means when you say you'll take the back half of July. She spells it "JULIE", & is partial to the front half, thank you very much...

((OOC: depending upon theme, I may keep Agent Smith. I don't feel I've fully explored the depths to which his character is capable of plummeting))

More in a bit,

7z7

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 11 Jul 2017, 12:33:34

For my upcoming game we will be visiting the world of one Raymond "Red" Reddington, courtesy of a theme based on the TV Series "The Blacklist".

Are you on his list? We'll find out!

It will be a vanilla-ish game with slightly different EOD handling.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 13 Jul 2017, 08:58:07

Favor request: I've been working on getting the full set of Dominion (Sarah's favorite tabletop game and a top of mine as well), and at this point (with Seaside finally popping up on Amazon for a reasonable price a few days ago) we'll have all the sets except for Dark Ages, which I can't find for less than $100 (new) at a quick online search; so if any of you are ever in a game shop and happen to see a new copy on a shelf at regular retail price, could you pick it up for me and we'll work out a transfer of payment+shipping? Thanks to anyone who might stumble upon it!

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 13 Jul 2017, 12:03:35

Holy crap! I didn't realize it was so expensive now!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 14 Jul 2017, 08:29:33

I'm nervous about the house purchase.

We really like the place for a number of reasons, & its got good bones. But the list we got from the inspection (and therefore the one we gave the seller) was fairly lengthy & we were supposed to hear back today from the seller today.

Seller requested & we just signed an extension to Monday for them to formulate their response. This is a weekend of ambiguity.

This is a Maslow's hierarchy of needs thing: I don't typically spend a lot of time on the where-I-live equation, because it's normally a solved problem that comes up once a year - will you renew or stay. I find it difficult to focus on higher level things while this is in an unresolved state.

More in a bit,

7z7

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 14 Jul 2017, 08:36:16

7-zark-7 wrote:I'm nervous about the house purchase.
Seller requested & we just signed an extension to Monday for them to formulate their response.

Obviously the seller is a wolf and they need the time to consult with their brethren to get their story straight. You know what to do.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 14 Jul 2017, 08:39:38

A fair point - but, if you recall, I am also a wolf (at the moment, a dead one, but I digress). Do I throw the seller under the bus for human cred?

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 14 Jul 2017, 09:30:15

7-zark-7 wrote:Do I throw the seller under the bus for human cred?

You're already dead, you can't get any more human cred. :P

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 14 Jul 2017, 10:13:30

Inspections have always been a bit of a gray area for me. Inspectors are going to find stuff - realtors (and therefore you) are paying them to find stuff, and you probably got your inspectors from the realtor, who knows that the inspectors are going to find stuff. The real question to you is: do you care enough about that stuff to potentially lose the house that you want? Are you quibbling over ~1K on a ~250K purchase?

For example, when I bought way long ago, the chimney inspector noted that the chimney was ~8 inches shorter than code required. Yep, whatever, not going to impact anything in my life. If they had found structural damage that actually did need to be fixed, then that's a different story. Same when I sold the house - the inspection report was three pages long, but the buyer only asked me to fix three items (and mainly because it would've raised complications with the appraiser). In that case, the buyer was planning a pretty extensive remodel anyhow.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the inspection report, unless there are specific issues that are actually going to impact you. In the end, it's a couple thousand bucks that gets knocked off the purchase price, and that's kind of expected from the selling point of view.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 14 Jul 2017, 16:05:39

I agree wholeheartedly - I don't wish to pick nits.

We sold our prior house back in 2012 in Massachusetts & have been apartment dwellers since in greater NYC. The buyer's inspector during our sale found a few things, we fixed & kicked something like $5k out of pocket towards their closing to cover the minutia and make the deal. Overall that house was not only in great shape, but a steal for the asking price ((FYI - buy at the tip of the housing market, sell at the depths is not a great plan - I lost $90k on that deal - it was a starter home, & 4 bedrooms were competing for the same audience)).

"New" house has a roof that is at the end of it's functional life. Second layer of shingles put on by prior owner before the current guy-who-bought-to-flip.

He's got his bottom line that may break the deal - mine is the $8-12k that a new roof will cost for this house. I like the house, but we are cash poor after going all in on it with few resources to apply to roof repair before winter. If we can't make a deal, we're moving to our next candidate on the list.

More in a bit,

7z7

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 17 Jul 2017, 06:30:50

We are expecting the paperwork tonight. A few confessions on both sides, but the upshot is the seller is paying for the roof replacement.

More (deals) in a bit,

7z7

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 17 Jul 2017, 06:38:34

7-zark-7 wrote:We are expecting the paperwork tonight. A few confessions on both sides, but the upshot is the seller is paying for the roof replacement.

Is it really a confession after they've been called out by the seer?

Return to “The Village Pub III”