F5 - The Refresh Strikes Back

The last place you'll ever drink away the day...again.
7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Re: F5 - The Refresh Strikes Back

Postby 7-zark-7 » 17 Jul 2017, 15:31:30

Okaros wrote:Is it really a confession after they've been called out by the seer?

That should have said concessions, but you raise an excellent point. We'd better lynch them to be sure.

I am fairly tempted to run a single thread game where home sellers are cast as wolves, potential buyers are the humans, and mortgage brokers are vigilantes. Game ends when all the sellers are dead or when we reach market saturation/parity (same number of sellers and buyers).

I guess the seer would be the home inspector.

The only question - is the market hot or cold for such a listing (and of course, do I have time)?

More (or less) in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Visigoth » 17 Jul 2017, 17:14:35

Mortgage brokers would be sociopaths. They don't care who wins as long as they get the profits when they bundle and sell off your mortgage.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 18 Jul 2017, 08:38:46

Visigoth wrote:Mortgage brokers would be sociopaths. They don't care who wins as long as they get the profits when they bundle and sell off your mortgage.

This is utterly and completely true. Are you laying seer cover?

More in a bit,

7z7
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 24 Jul 2017, 09:25:29

Reminder: Signup threads have moved over to their own forum. Go here, sign up for the game that starts tonight!

http://forum.thewolfgame.net/viewtopic.php?f=341&t=2130
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 25 Jul 2017, 16:41:05

I've been driving back and forth to a storage shed near the new house - mostly taking loads in the wife's SUV (my convertible is surprisingly unhelpful in this regard), but this weekend I rented a cargo van.

We have most of our stuff in storage now - Xmas stuff may stay stored a bit longer, but the new place has better logistics given a shed out back and a 2 car garage.

We are buying a new living room set, so the existing couch and chair will go out when the time comes. Our youngest is psyched about moving from her toddler bed (converted crib) in our room to a Lightning McQueen bed in her own room.

I'm a bit tired though. I like the sense of accomplishment that comes from having this task almost done. But I am looking forward to not being in Sherpa mode soon.

Closing should be Aug 7th or 8th - the new roof is on the house, gutters look good, & my hope is the other stuff that was on the honey do list for the seller are coming along.

What have you been up to this week?

More in a bit,

7z7

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 25 Jul 2017, 17:07:15

Since you asked...

The new global sysadmin/networking manager where I work is learning a set of profound lessons this week.

Angry Story Time!

A week ago:
Networking Lead: This border-switch replacement will be only be 2 minutes of downtime, tops! Customer Support has ok'd it happening without a maintenance window if it's under 2 minutes!
Me, to Manager: Swapping out the switch doesn't fix the connectivity problem, it just lets you actually manage the switch to *start* diagnosing the problem. You'll need a multi-hour maintenance window, which is fine. Just schedule it, the changes I have waiting on this fix can wait for you to do it right.
Manager, to me and Customer Support Lead: Okaros, you're right. I'll talk to the Networking Lead and we'll get a Maint Window scheduled.

This morning:
Networking Lead: Oops, we screwed up and caused over an hour of unplanned, unannounced production downtime less than a month after a total datacenter failure that lasted 18 hours!
Customer Support: *fiery rage inferno as major customers go ballistic*
Me: *picard facepalm* Wait, wtf? This work was cancelled and the last notice that was sent said you were going to schedule a maintenance window!
Networking Lead: Manager approved the work!
Manager: Yeah, uh, I did approve that. Um. Oops. I also dropped the ball on communicating that we were still going to do the work to anyone at all other than the Networking Lead.
Me: So things are fixed now, at least?
Manager + Networking Lead: No, we had to roll back the changes. We're exactly where we were before.
Me: ...

Honestly, it's not even the Manager approving the change over my explicit objections that's driving me berserk (by trial and error he''ll eventually figure out that I am right 100% of the time). It's the fact that there was zero communication to anyone about it. He should know better (he's new to the company, but not new to managing production IT resources). It's that they left absolutely everyone thinking it wasn't happening. Manager isn't new to managing production IT resources, so there's just zero excuse.

Manager and I both report directly to the Director of Cloud Services, and this was visible all the way up to the CEO. One of us is spending the rest of the week being chewed to pieces by multiple Directors and C-Levels from across the company and has earned a serious black mark on their record. Hint: It's not me.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 25 Jul 2017, 18:08:32

That's pretty awful. He agreed on the record and then secretly changed his mind and let them go ahead? I can't even imagine how that happens in a production scenario. Without him being fired for it, I mean.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 25 Jul 2017, 19:28:24

Admetus wrote:That's pretty awful. He agreed on the record and then secretly changed his mind and let them go ahead? I can't even imagine how that happens in a production scenario. Without him being fired for it, I mean.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. We're pretty desperate for bodies at this point, so I think the worst repercussions he's going to face are a heavy amount of angry ranting from the leadership and a black mark on this year's performance review. And me trying to figure out how I can trust him not to pull this kind of shit again since I need to work directly with him to get most things done. :shake:

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 25 Jul 2017, 20:20:01

This week so far: My Last Monday, My Last Tuesday. Looking forward: My Last Wednesday, My Last Thursday (complete with I'll-be-in-the-office-until-midnight release), My Last Day. Pretty much nothing is going to tear me down at this point!

I did book passage on a container ship for early October, so expecting about ~25 days at sea (Charleston, stop in Colombia, through the Panama Canal, stop in Panama, and I think a stop at Santa Barbara before 18 days of nothing but ocean before Aukland). Now: vaccinations, visas, and miscellaneous paperwork demands for the next few weeks.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 26 Jul 2017, 09:23:01

Container ship! Sounds like you're attempting an adventure in either steampunk or Lovecraft genre.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 26 Jul 2017, 10:36:43

I was doing lots of googling on how to get to New Zealand - thinking cruises through Hawaii and Tahiti and the like, and I stumbled upon some discussion about freighter transport. Since the whole point is to experience new things (and to take my sweet time about it), I thought that yeah - this would be a different experience. They've actually got a decent setup, as long as you don't mind a lot of downtime (for me, that's almost ideal - reset my palate, if you will).

https://www.freightercruises.com/

They do some out-and-back trips, some around the world, and some intercontinental trips (not sure I could do 77 days around the world, though). A number of these different companies that do it, but no real good search aggregate for them that I've been able to find.

Smirker
Post Courtesan

Postby Smirker » 26 Jul 2017, 13:33:47

DastardlyOldMan wrote:I was doing lots of googling on how to get to New Zealand - thinking cruises through Hawaii and Tahiti and the like, and I stumbled upon some discussion about freighter transport. Since the whole point is to experience new things (and to take my sweet time about it), I thought that yeah - this would be a different experience. They've actually got a decent setup, as long as you don't mind a lot of downtime (for me, that's almost ideal - reset my palate, if you will).

They do some out-and-back trips, some around the world, and some intercontinental trips (not sure I could do 77 days around the world, though). A number of these different companies that do it, but no real good search aggregate for them that I've been able to find.

That's pretty neat. I hope you have a great time!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 27 Jul 2017, 08:26:11

Ditto - the village pub demands pics of your container ship experience. New Zealand too, but I admit, I'd likely get there eventually... with two kids under 10, I don't know if I'd ever get the freedom to tramp around the world by container ship & rather suspect that sort of passage to deprecate out over time... I'm very interested in your journey.

More in a bit,

7z7

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 27 Jul 2017, 08:30:36

Part of me is a little disappointed that you're not outfitting a cargo container and planning to ship yourself around the world in luxury, but I must admit it still sounds pretty neat. You'd better have stories to tell after that, DOM!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 27 Jul 2017, 10:07:02

Okaros wrote:Part of me is a little disappointed that you're not outfitting a cargo container and planning to ship yourself around the world in luxury, but I must admit it still sounds pretty neat. You'd better have stories to tell after that, DOM!

Why do I picture the train car from Wild Wild West?

The TV show, not that godawful movie with the steampunk spider.

It did have some nice Salma Hayak cleavage, but not enough to justify the rest of that script. Give me her performance in Desperado / Once upon a Time in Mexico or Dusk till Dawn (anything by Robert Rodriguez, really) any day over that.

More in a bit,

7z7

Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Visigoth » 27 Jul 2017, 12:06:19

7-zark-7 wrote:
Okaros wrote:Part of me is a little disappointed that you're not outfitting a cargo container and planning to ship yourself around the world in luxury, but I must admit it still sounds pretty neat. You'd better have stories to tell after that, DOM!

Why do I picture the train car from Wild Wild West?

The TV show, not that godawful movie with the steampunk spider.

It did have some nice Salma Hayak cleavage, but not enough to justify the rest of that script. Give me her performance in Desperado / Once upon a Time in Mexico or Dusk till Dawn (anything by Robert Rodriguez, really) any day over that.

More in a bit,

7z7

Her sitting on a couch reading a magazine would be better than the WWW movie.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 27 Jul 2017, 16:13:59

I would watch Salma Hayak read a magazine.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 27 Jul 2017, 16:52:17

7-zark-7 wrote:I would watch Salma Hayak read a magazine.

She was the one from Night Court, right?

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 27 Jul 2017, 17:44:55

DastardlyOldMan wrote:
7-zark-7 wrote:I would watch Salma Hayak read a magazine.

She was the one from Night Court, right?

#Vote for: DastardlyOldMan

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 27 Jul 2017, 18:23:39

Sigh. Last day of work is tomorrow. It's 9:30 PM and I'm at the office trying to get a release out the door. I really want to get this thing live in production before I leave. . . . but LET ME THE $#*&! OUT OF HERE.

stdio
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby stdio » 27 Jul 2017, 18:48:54

DastardlyOldMan wrote:I was doing lots of googling on how to get to New Zealand - thinking cruises through Hawaii and Tahiti and the like, and I stumbled upon some discussion about freighter transport. Since the whole point is to experience new things (and to take my sweet time about it), I thought that yeah - this would be a different experience. They've actually got a decent setup, as long as you don't mind a lot of downtime (for me, that's almost ideal - reset my palate, if you will).

Hey, tell us how it goes! I was actually lining up one of these freighter cruises myself a few years ago, but the whole trip fell apart and I had to cancel. I'm interested in this, because I might try for it again someday, but I'm not sure what it'd actually be like.

---

In other news, my wired earbuds died on me, so I picked up some airpods last night on a whim. I like them a lot, but I can't shake the feeling I look like a fat dipshit with a cigarettes stuck in his ears. Or maybe some sort of really shitty fake tapers that I can wear out with friends at the mall and then hide from mom and dad

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 03 Aug 2017, 14:38:23

Day of the Tentacle Remastered is free as part of this month's Twitch Prime (part of Amazon Prime) loot. If for some crazy reason you don't already own Day of the Tentacle, GO GET IT RIGHT NOW IT'S FREE OMG.
:flail: :flail:

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 03 Aug 2017, 15:05:34

Okaros wrote:Day of the Tentacle Remastered is free as part of this month's Twitch Prime (part of Amazon Prime) loot. If for some crazy reason you don't already own Day of the Tentacle, GO GET IT RIGHT NOW IT'S FREE OMG.
:flail: :flail:

Every day I grow angrier at the fact that Twitch Prime is not available here
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 03 Aug 2017, 15:46:11

Aldax wrote:Every day I grow angrier at the fact that Twitch Prime is not available here

*checks*

Wtf? That's crazy.

Aldax

Postby Aldax » 03 Aug 2017, 15:53:59

Okaros wrote:
Aldax wrote:Every day I grow angrier at the fact that Twitch Prime is not available here

*checks*

Wtf? That's crazy.

Yeah, at first I didn't mind it because I don't go to twitch unless some Smash tournament/The International/Games Done Quick is on, but with all the talk about rewards I wanted to try linking the accounts. I can do (and did) as much, but I can't access the rewards because for some weird arbitrary reason they don't have it in Mexico

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 03 Aug 2017, 16:27:10

There's a twitch FAQ that mentions an embargo, but my Google-Fu is failing to find any actual details on wtf the embargo actually is/covers/etc...

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 03 Aug 2017, 18:45:01

Their twitch prime rewards are being redirected to the wall fund, of course.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 08 Aug 2017, 07:56:06

Shotgun game thread up in the Single-Thread Games forum.

Basic game with a "declare innocent" lynch vote instead of a "vote for guilt" mechanic.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 09 Aug 2017, 18:27:39

Wish us luck, we close on the new house tomorrow. I strongly suspect the seller is a wolf - his agent certainly is.

More in a bit,

7z7

Smirker
Post Courtesan

Postby Smirker » 10 Aug 2017, 10:43:23

7-zark-7 wrote:Wish us luck, we close on the new house tomorrow. I strongly suspect the seller is a wolf - his agent certainly is.

More in a bit,

7z7

Good luck!

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 10 Aug 2017, 14:20:43

I also hope the luck is good

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 11 Aug 2017, 10:35:45

I have never spent this much on appliances in such a short period. On the upside, we have new ~everything~

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 11 Aug 2017, 10:54:22

I suspect everything went well yesterday, then? Congrats! Where are you all now?

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 11 Aug 2017, 11:03:55

Congrats, Ryvvn and FCM!! ;) ;)

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 11 Aug 2017, 11:25:05

7-zark-7 wrote:I have never spent this much on appliances in such a short period. On the upside, we have new ~everything~

Didya get the shiny stainless steel Internet-enabled toaster?

Just asking. For reasons.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 11 Aug 2017, 12:05:19

sphenodont wrote:
7-zark-7 wrote:I have never spent this much on appliances in such a short period. On the upside, we have new ~everything~

Didya get the shiny stainless steel Internet-enabled toaster?

Just asking. For reasons.

Please don't tell my wife about the chrome toasters - she's still scarred ~years~ after battlestar went off the air. :flail:

The house only had a washer and dryer - both inspected okay - on move in day, I show up with a fully loaded truck to see a frustrated look on her face - the washer is leaking (not at the hose, from the drum) & the dryer doesn't heat up. We had already bought fridge, dishwasher, range, & air conditioners. What's another grand amongst our new friends at the hardware store?

dferrantino wrote:I suspect everything went well yesterday, then? Congrats! Where are you all now?

Yes - still moving over the weekend - new house is in Naugatuck, CT - bit off the beaten path, which is exactly what we wanted - the police blotter is quiet - more weather and road closings than anything else. They also chat a fair amount about their duck race:

Newsworthy events include dumping a metric ton of rubber duckies in the river & seeing which one crosses an arbitrary finish line. My money is on the yellow one.

More in a bit,

7z7

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 11 Aug 2017, 15:27:24

Jrsthethird wrote:Congrats, Ryvvn and FCM!! ;) ;)

This is in reference to this: http://indiemegabooth.com/project/all-or-one/

Which some of you may remember had its genesis right here on these forums!

(For those who don't want to click the link for whatever reason: Sarah & I are officially a small game studio, Robot High Five, and we'll be showing All or One at PAX West as part of IndieMegabooth Tabletop!)

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 11 Aug 2017, 15:31:28

Oh, also for people who don't click through, here's a short teaserish trailer I put together for the game:
https://youtu.be/neqOvsZZlIE

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Okaros » 11 Aug 2017, 18:48:53

Congrats, Ryvvn and FCM!

Also congrats, Zark! One of those ducks is actually a wolf. Your new job is to figure out which one it is before it kills all the rest. Good luck!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 14 Aug 2017, 08:52:58

Okaros wrote:Congrats, Ryvvn and FCM!

Also congrats, Zark! One of those ducks is actually a wolf. Your new job is to figure out which one it is before it kills all the rest. Good luck!

More in a bit,

7z7

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 17 Aug 2017, 01:16:23

Ryvvn wrote:

(For those who don't want to click the link for whatever reason: Sarah & I are officially a small game studio, Robot High Five, and we'll be showing All or One at PAX West as part of IndieMegabooth Tabletop!)

Who Is Sarah?
You should probably use my forum name...even I get confused when you use my real name on here.

Aldax

Postby Aldax » 17 Aug 2017, 07:59:38

Ryvvn wrote:

That is, indeed, awesome! congrats!

also congrats to Zark on the new wolf hideout house!

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 21 Aug 2017, 11:53:13

Good news everybody! Solar werewolves don't exist!

(Or if they do, they are totally extinct here.)

Anybody else get out to see the eclipse?

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 21 Aug 2017, 12:04:39

Just a partial one. Lots of people out and about with cereal box camera obscura, sharing glasses etc.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 21 Aug 2017, 17:54:34

sphenodont wrote:Anybody else get out to see the eclipse?

FCM & I got a couple minutes of totality here in Salem, OR; it was majestic!

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 21 Aug 2017, 19:00:38

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 21 Aug 2017, 20:16:26

I borrowed glasses from people at work and saw a decent partial.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 21 Aug 2017, 22:38:51

Jrsthethird wrote:I borrowed glasses from people at work and saw a decent partial.

side boob of the universe

Aldax

Postby Aldax » 22 Aug 2017, 08:42:40

sphenodont wrote:

it was only 25% partiality and I didn't find any kind of (useful) eye protection, so I unfortunately missed it.

On the flipside, the path of totality of the 2024 one crosses Mexico, so hopefully I can go and witness 100% totality

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 22 Aug 2017, 09:48:13

Aldax wrote:
sphenodont wrote:

it was only 25% partiality and I didn't find any kind of (useful) eye protection, so I unfortunately missed it.

On the flipside, the path of totality of the 2024 one crosses Mexico, so hopefully I can go and witness 100% totality

If you can, you totally should. It was fucking amazing. I was weeping and cackling in exhilaration.

Return to “The Village Pub III”