F5 - The Refresh Strikes Back

The last place you'll ever drink away the day...again.
sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Re: F5 - The Refresh Strikes Back

Postby sphenodont » 22 Aug 2017, 10:03:49

Yeah, we didn't go down to the area of totality, but we're definitely going to do it next time. Carbondale is going to get both eclipses, so hopefully they'll figure out some of the infrastructure issues by then.

And we're are totally going to take the train instead of driving. My cousin took his family down, and it took them eight hours to get 100 miles. Suburbanites just Don't Get driving on rural / country highways.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 22 Aug 2017, 11:19:20

Got the last Super NES at the local GameStop.

(In-person is inconvenient, but at least it's a way of avoiding the bots.)

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Postby 7-zark-7 » 22 Aug 2017, 19:41:40

We rented a beach house in South Carolina about an hour north of totality. Bunch of younger kids with us,I don't think we could have made the trek into the 100% zone but we will definitely put that on the list for 2024

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353

Postby Omega » 24 Aug 2017, 16:24:59

Day 4 of my staycation, 3rd day of clouds. WTF Southern California!

Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Rictus » 24 Aug 2017, 17:52:47

We watched the totality in Columbia, SC. it was cloudy but we chased clear sky and found a spot 5 mins before totality. It was amazing, and totally worth the 10 hour drive back home.
Charming, to the last.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 26 Aug 2017, 11:45:12

Rictus wrote:We watched the totality in Columbia, SC. it was cloudy but we chased clear sky and found a spot 5 mins before totality. It was amazing, and totally worth the 10 hour drive back home.

Cool! Was not in the path here. Maybe in 2024.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 29 Aug 2017, 11:24:54

Any Europa Universalis players around?

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 30 Aug 2017, 15:54:22

I used to play the divine game that is EU! If you need some help happy to put you on the right track. Then again this was about 5 years ago so I imagine its changed since.

In other news (and to kill the mood) I've been out of action for a while as my long term girlfriend of 7.5 years (and absolute love of my life) has left me. But I'm getting slightly better now and I'd like to get back in on some games soon hopefully. No cure like a dead wolf right?
THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE IS JUST CLEARASDAY.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 30 Aug 2017, 17:41:46

Clearasday wrote:I used to play the divine game that is EU! If you need some help happy to put you on the right track. Then again this was about 5 years ago so I imagine its changed since.

Yes, please! Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated. My first paradox game.

Clearasday wrote:In other news (and to kill the mood) I've been out of action for a while as my long term girlfriend of 7.5 years (and absolute love of my life) has left me. But I'm getting slightly better now and I'd like to get back in on some games soon hopefully. No cure like a dead wolf right?

Sorry to hear, can I send you £5 for a pint?

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 31 Aug 2017, 14:56:26

Ok so if I recall correctly Poland is usually the one I tended to get people to start with (although this was back in like 2013 before all the DLC). The game is not exactly easy to play. I usually taught people by playing multiplayer with them but unfortunately due to my current living situation being a bit up in the air I won't be able to help you there for a bit. I'd recommend trying a first game as a mainland European power that is not in the Holy Roman Empire (modern day Germany) as they have a weird patchwork of alliances, and see about slowly expanding one province at a time by land. I say land because ships and colonists can be confusing to control at the start, but if you find these areas more fun then by all means instead try Portugal and Castile, who are great starting naval nations, and go explore, colonise and conquer the Americas! If land, go Poland and see about slowing spreading Eastwards and Christianising all heathen lands that you find! Lithuania starts the game as your vassal subject and should give you a friendly ally and cushion for the teething stage of the game. Do not be afraid in your first game to just do nothing at times. It may seem at the start that you don't have a lot to do. This is not the case, but working out what your options are will take time. Additionally, half the fun can sometimes be about just managing to keep your nation alive. This will be especially true if you play Poland, as you will find no shortage of rebels or wars coming for you, so no need to go chasing them yourself early on.

The actual tutorials in EU were bad so I would not recommend playing them, but instead maybe watch a quick video or two of someone else playing to get an overview (I did not do this, you do not need to do this, but if the game seems daunting it may help). Northerlion used to be a fun to watch EU player Northernlion used to be a fun to watch EU player. I'll collect my thoughts and send you more in a PM. Anyone else here play EU? We could get a multiplayer game going eventually.

You don't know how much the pint-offer is both kind and appreciated, maybe if I'm in the States in the future I'll take you up on it!

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 06 Sep 2017, 12:06:15

I have no idea what's up with spheno's game, it appears to have stalled out entirely. I'm busier than usual, but if it hasn't been taken care of by spheno or another overlord soon, I'll try to force things forward as soon as I'm available to do so.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 06 Sep 2017, 17:05:10

So, our flagship Latin American / Telenovela facility is in Miami. Their offsite redundancy is 15 minutes away. Both are in the path of Irma, who does not look pleased. We've been running a marathon for the last 2 days getting business continuity where it needs to be both for live feeds and scripted/studio production (which is ~not~ easy to move on a rushed schedule). High visibility - there's even a chartered jet involved.

And I just signed the status email to the executive staff the way I sign my posts here. :facepalm:

More in a bit,

7z7
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 06 Sep 2017, 17:46:51

7-zark-7 wrote:...there's even a chartered jet involved.

And I just signed the status email to the executive staff the way I sign my posts here. :facepalm:

Well then tell your pilot to stop steering you into those pockets of turbulence. All those spilled mimosas are clearly getting on your nerves!
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 06 Sep 2017, 20:07:14

Ryvvn wrote:I have no idea what's up with spheno's game, it appears to have stalled out entirely. I'm busier than usual, but if it hasn't been taken care of by spheno or another overlord soon, I'll try to force things forward as soon as I'm available to do so.

Yeah, I have no idea. It took 3 days to actually get added to the dead thread, but I still can't see he wolf forum. I pretty much forgot it was still happening at this point.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 07 Sep 2017, 15:18:17

7-zark-7 wrote:So, our flagship Latin American / Telenovela facility is in Miami. Their offsite redundancy is 15 minutes away. Both are in the path of Irma, who does not look pleased. We've been running a marathon for the last 2 days getting business continuity where it needs to be both for live feeds and scripted/studio production (which is ~not~ easy to move on a rushed schedule). High visibility - there's even a chartered jet involved.

More in a bit,

7z7

Found your problem.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 09 Sep 2017, 14:28:44

dferrantino wrote:Found your problem.

You ain't kidding. It's more common than you'd think. Redundancy planning also requires staff redundancy, I.e. Editors.

As it's a craft more than a science (I won't call what passes for most television art) there's a significant investment in editors who have personal touch or at least relationships with showrunners.

Most redundancy is built upon "load the staff on a bus" models that cover catastrophic loss of facility, not a zip code or county. That's if they have a plan at all.

Miami's DR has been an issue for a long time. Proper fixes will be expensive.

More (telenovales) in a bit,

7z7

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 12 Sep 2017, 10:06:52

I'm going to West Virginia next week, anyone familiar with Charleston? Any good bars?

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 13 Sep 2017, 15:23:50

Ryvvn wrote:Favor request: I've been working on getting the full set of Dominion (Sarah's favorite tabletop game and a top of mine as well), and at this point (with Seaside finally popping up on Amazon for a reasonable price a few days ago) we'll have all the sets except for Dark Ages, which I can't find for less than $100 (new) at a quick online search; so if any of you are ever in a game shop and happen to see a new copy on a shelf at regular retail price, could you pick it up for me and we'll work out a transfer of payment+shipping? Thanks to anyone who might stumble upon it!

Update: Got it! Popped up on Amazon at normal retail price, so now our collection is complete minus some promo cards and the soon to be released new expansion.

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 13 Sep 2017, 17:57:59

Ryvvn wrote:
Ryvvn wrote:Favor request: I've been working on getting the full set of Dominion (Sarah's favorite tabletop game and a top of mine as well), and at this point (with Seaside finally popping up on Amazon for a reasonable price a few days ago) we'll have all the sets except for Dark Ages, which I can't find for less than $100 (new) at a quick online search; so if any of you are ever in a game shop and happen to see a new copy on a shelf at regular retail price, could you pick it up for me and we'll work out a transfer of payment+shipping? Thanks to anyone who might stumble upon it!

Update: Got it! Popped up on Amazon at normal retail price, so now our collection is complete minus some promo cards and the soon to be released new expansion.

Well there goes my birthday surprise for FCM! :lol:

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 22 Sep 2017, 07:47:13

Marco...

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 23 Sep 2017, 09:54:53

...Rubio!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 25 Sep 2017, 12:39:24

Jrsthethird wrote:...Rubio!

Why couldn't it be someone more entertaining?

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 25 Sep 2017, 20:12:07

Because all the entertaining people are busy signing up to play the next game!
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 26 Sep 2017, 20:21:14

Sigh. There is moving fast, and there is moving well. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

But this month has been all full speed ahead; damn the torpedoes.

More in a bit,

7z7

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 27 Sep 2017, 07:45:39

7-zark-7 wrote:Sigh. There is moving fast, and there is moving well. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

May I print this quote, frame it, and put in in my desk? because a lot of people here could use the reminder
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 27 Sep 2017, 09:28:30

Aldax wrote:
7-zark-7 wrote:Sigh. There is moving fast, and there is moving well. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

May I print this quote, frame it, and put in in my desk? because a lot of people here could use the reminder

++

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 02 Oct 2017, 03:35:47

Any of you happen to be in Vegas now? Hope you’re ok if so.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 03 Oct 2017, 11:37:21

Thinking the same. I’m in for trade shows at least once a year (can I tell you even Campa is fun in Vegas?), but strictly NYC for the next month or so

More in a bit,

7z7

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 06 Oct 2017, 05:16:59

About three hours until I'm offline for the next ~25 days. See you on the other side - try not to eat the entire village while I'm gone.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 06 Oct 2017, 12:40:53

DastardlyOldMan wrote:About three hours until I'm offline for the next ~25 days. See you on the other side - try not to eat the entire village while I'm gone.

Looks like I may have missed your departure window... you did pack enough food for the length of your sealed-in-a-container journey, yes? I mean, I know you said they'd let you roam around the ship, but I suspect if anyone will resort to cannibalism, it's a little more likely in your journey than in our quiet unassuming village.

I mean, there's hasn't been so much as a peep out of the lycans since

aughhhhh!

Hmm... More in a bit?

7z7

((Seriously, safe travels DOM))

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 08 Oct 2017, 17:36:56

DastardlyOldMan wrote:About three hours until I'm offline for the next ~25 days. See you on the other side - try not to eat the entire village while I'm gone.

This was in my social feed today:

https://www.boredpanda.com/month-long-c ... ntent=EKZ8

Time lapse 4K footage of a month on a container ship.

/Pours one out for DOM

More in a bit,

7z7

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 08 Oct 2017, 20:46:45

That video is insane.

Safe travels, DOM.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 10 Oct 2017, 09:08:29

Yikes. I can't wait to hear the stories, DOM.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 11 Oct 2017, 10:42:03

for those who don't often visit the single thread forum, I'm hosing.

I think you mean hosting

maybe?

http://forum.thewolfgame.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2190

Edit - I think I'd like to do the full monte - requesting overlords move my single thread to signup :eyebrow:

Red Alert!

more in a bit,

7z7

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 22 Oct 2017, 09:39:49

I know I haven’t been around much, but I need somewhere to vent. And since the person I need to vent about stalks my social media and Ars, you guys are the lucky recipients.

And if they find this post, then great. This is all shit I’m saying to your face the next time we get together.

TL;DR My best friend is having an affair.

Actually, that’s not right. Multiple affairs.

I knew he and his wife had some major difficulties about a year ago, but they never let us know how bad it was. I thought shit was worked out, but apparently not. He’s apparently trying to figure out how to gracefully handle a divorce while also doing things like buying a house together.

And in the mean time, cheating. Because I guess his need to get off trumps any kind of rational thought.

How do I know? He told me this week. Well, kind of bragged to me. He has also used me as an alibi at least once; he wanted to do so again this week but realized our wives talk so it’s risky. He changed his mind before I could flat out tell him I won’t be involved in this shit, but he’s going to learn (as soon as I can get him alone) that I’m done with that.

I’m going to encourage him to come clean and stop, but I feel that I can’t tell his wife. I’m already more in this middle of this than I can stand and that would be me directly blowing up their marriage. I hate hate hate that now I’m in a position where I’m lying to my wife by omission.

And I’m mourning a friendship that has lasted 27 years. A lot has happened, but this feels like an inflection point. I can’t even begin to understand the choices he’s making. Hell, I may lose two 25+ year friendships here; the third of our trio from elementary school is supporting him 100% as far as I can tell.

So yeah. This sucks.

Thanks for letting me vent.

RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore

Postby RaveBomb » 22 Oct 2017, 20:44:22

Shit man. That sucks. I don't have anything other than the standard platitudes. :(
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
RB: I shot the seer didn't I? Omega: Of course you did.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 23 Oct 2017, 09:39:14

That sucks is good enough for me. Really not much else you can say.

One thing I'm just realizing today is this has killed any interest I had in going to PAX Unplugged with these people in a few weeks. So now to figure out how to gracefully get out of it without making my wife suspicious.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 23 Oct 2017, 11:43:12

Sorry to hear that. A friend of mine had a marriage blow up for similar reasons, a number of years ago. It doesn't seem to me that he's over it yet. I hope the fallout doesn't catch too many people, when it eventually breaks.

Aldax

Postby Aldax » 24 Oct 2017, 08:44:02

Damn, that's rough

Smirker
Post Courtesan

Postby Smirker » 24 Oct 2017, 15:01:40

So sorry to hear it necklessone. My wife and I had to burn ties to a friendship for similar reasons; but honestly, we still feel it was worth it. It was so disappointing to have to do it and it broke our hearts; but it was absolutely the right thing to do.

I know it doesn't help in the short term, but you have my sympathies. Personally, I'd hate to have to lie by omission to my wife as well; if I were you I'd bring her into the loop;but that'd depend on how well you feel she'd handle without making the situation go nuclear. Regardless, I'm glad you have a place you CAN vent. Good luck.

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 29 Oct 2017, 07:47:54

necklessone wrote:I know I haven’t been around much, but I need somewhere to vent. And since the person I need to vent about stalks my social media and Ars, you guys are the lucky recipients.

And if they find this post, then great. This is all shit I’m saying to your face the next time we get together.

TL;DR My best friend is having an affair.

Actually, that’s not right. Multiple affairs.

I knew he and his wife had some major difficulties about a year ago, but they never let us know how bad it was. I thought shit was worked out, but apparently not. He’s apparently trying to figure out how to gracefully handle a divorce while also doing things like buying a house together.

And in the mean time, cheating. Because I guess his need to get off trumps any kind of rational thought.

How do I know? He told me this week. Well, kind of bragged to me. He has also used me as an alibi at least once; he wanted to do so again this week but realized our wives talk so it’s risky. He changed his mind before I could flat out tell him I won’t be involved in this shit, but he’s going to learn (as soon as I can get him alone) that I’m done with that.

I’m going to encourage him to come clean and stop, but I feel that I can’t tell his wife. I’m already more in this middle of this than I can stand and that would be me directly blowing up their marriage. I hate hate hate that now I’m in a position where I’m lying to my wife by omission.

And I’m mourning a friendship that has lasted 27 years. A lot has happened, but this feels like an inflection point. I can’t even begin to understand the choices he’s making. Hell, I may lose two 25+ year friendships here; the third of our trio from elementary school is supporting him 100% as far as I can tell.

So yeah. This sucks.

Thanks for letting me vent.

As someone who has recently had that good friend that knew, and didn't tell me, thank you for not encouraging him and for taking such a position, but I am also completely on the side of you should tell her.

Really sorry to hear about this, that's an awful position for him to put you in, vent whatever you need.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 30 Oct 2017, 19:33:44

7-zark-7 wrote:
DastardlyOldMan wrote:Available for sacrifice here, and add me to the dead, unless you want to hold me back as a substitute paramour. Aukland!

How goes the container ship?

(Figured I'd reply in the F5 rather than the signup thread):

Container ship was good - quiet, peaceful, and just gorgeous - surrounded by the most perfect blue in all directions, broken only by crests of white and, if lucky, a small pod of porpoises playing as you pass by. I *am* looking forward to sleeping in a bed that isn't thinking about getting rid of me, though, and I did almost immediately stop at a pub for bangers & mash and a couple of real brews. The crew was mainly MInmar (Burma), and the cook had some interesting takes on ~Western food. Imagine a pizza cooked by someone who's only had it described to him once, and his memory wasn't quite perfect on everything. Or sausage and eggs for breakfast - where "sausage" doesn't necessarily translate (hint: Oscar Meyer does not make a breakfast sausage, no matter how much you slice it). Don't get me wrong, great experience (in particular, the actual Asian cuisine was mainly divine) - but I was seriously craving some grease by the time we hit port. Also, Milwaukee's Best *Premium* is not actually beer :-)

Smirker
Post Courtesan

Postby Smirker » 31 Oct 2017, 06:22:33

LOL, I have to agree on the brew. Surprising the cook didn't even know the common European-style pizza - but interesting! I'd liked to have sampled some of the asian cuisine to be sure! The journey itself sounds awesome and serene.

Well, I'm glad it's gone well so far and I hope you keep having a great time! :)

Aldax

Postby Aldax » 06 Nov 2017, 08:18:28

Well, this was a really busy weekend: I got progressive prescription glasses for the first time in my life and it's been a weird experience to adjust my vision to them, the weird focus points on the sides are still hard to get used to and disorient me a lot but I see way better, I used to think I had good vision and with these I finally get how wrong I was.

In other news my girlfriend and I went house hunting. This is something we've been talking about for a while, and while we're not planning on moving together "Soon™ ", we want to actually know what options we have, as salaries here make it a bit hard to buy your own house upfront, and housing credits usually take a long time to actually pay in full (we're talking about 15-20 years of monthly payments), of course this also means we've talked about marriage (again, not Soon™) and we hit some of the places where we could do the reception when the big day comes.

I'm nervous but excited, is there a word for that? I think there is

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 06 Nov 2017, 09:41:53

Great news all around Aldax! Congratulations (not "Soon", but when appropriate)

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 06 Nov 2017, 11:05:47

The word is "wolfy" (but "anxious" or "anticipating" might cover it as well) - have fun - picking out spots and house hunting can be a real treat, especially when you're just mingling and not necessarily under pressure to buy and such.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 16 Nov 2017, 21:02:33

So, PAX Unplugged this weekend. I'm off work tomorrow (Friday), so I'll be there most of the day. I have dress rehearsals for our two concerts this weekend, though, so outside of Friday morning/afternoon, I'll only be around a little bit here and there Saturday and Sunday.

If anyone wants to grab a game in the free play area, drop a note here. I'll try to check from time to time.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 19 Nov 2017, 18:52:36

Bah! I haven't checked this all weekend. We were in from Thursday, had a great time in Philly, would have been fun to grab a game.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 20 Nov 2017, 14:02:00

Next year for sure. My bullshit will be resolved one way or another.

Hope everyone who went had a blast.

Wasabi
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Wasabi » 20 Nov 2017, 14:57:45

I hope the new job hasn't done Zark in.

Return to “The Village Pub III”