Official Terms and Conditions

Try not to sweat too much.
necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Official Terms and Conditions

Postby necklessone » 28 Aug 2013, 12:15:45

It's time for everyone's favorite quiz show where there's only one question: who are the wolves? Yes, I'm Nick Lassone this is...
The Wolfing Game!

For those of you who have been under a rock for the past thee years, here's how the game is played. We take a pool of randomly selected contestants and add some "wolves": players paid by the studio to create drama. Each day, I ask the players the same question: "who are the wolves?". If the player with the plurality of votes is a wolf, he is ejected and the players with the correct guess accrue valuable prizes. If the player with the most votes isn't a wolf, he's sent home with a consolation prize and the players are subject to a penalty.

Eliminate all the wolves and the remaining players split the game's Grand Prize!!! But let the wolves get too powerful and they're all going home with the booby prize.

To help the players out, some contestants have been randomly chosen to receive an "advantage": after each round they may receive a dossier on the player if their choice. Some dossiers will be accurate and others elaborate fakes. It's up to the players to figure it out!

We're accepting applications today, so come be a part of...
The Wolfing Game!

---

The game will begin Sunday, September 1st.

Deadlines: Unless stated otherwise in the daily thread, all days end at 9pm Eastern. There will be 48 hour "days" over weekends and Labor Day (aka Day 1 for the non-Americans).

Private messages: Private messages between players will only be allowed when specifically enabled by a power.

Prizes and penalties: The host of the game may award prizes and penalties over the course of the game. These range from temporary powers to information to vote manipulations to gag gifts.

Seer results: All seer results will include a reading of contestant, seer, or wolf. This may or may not be the truth.

Conversions and hidden factions: The wolves will not be able to convert. There are no hidden factions.

Night-time Order of Operations:
1) Role blocker
2) Jailer
3) Seers
4) Vigilante
5) Maul

The following default rules are in effect.
1. Lynch votes will only count if they are time-stamped BEFORE the end of day deadline.

2. If lynch votes are not bolded AND colored, then the GM may opt not to count them in the official tally.

3. Retracting earlier votes is strongly encouraged but not mandatory.

4. A player who fails to cast a daytime lynch vote may not use any nighttime powers (e.g., seer/GA/maul vote).

5. The maul vote of a Wolf killed during the day DOES count in the final nighttime tally.

6. Nighttime conditional votes/targets can only be predicated on daytime actions.

7. Daytime conditional votes/targets are not allowed.

8. If PMs are allowed, the GM must be copied on every PM sent.

9. PMs or private board posts from the GM may not be quoted elsewhere without the express permission of the GM. Paraphrasing is okay.

10. Vigilante kill posts need to clearly state themselves as such on a separate line (e.g., "Vig kill on Omega"). Any target of such a clearly-labeled Vig strike may no longer post to the Day thread without express GM permission.

11. Non-vigilantes who intentionally post fake Vigilante kill shots may be WOG-ed by the GM.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Re: Official Terms and Conditions

Postby necklessone » 29 Aug 2013, 12:39:35

Roles
Wolves
The wolves have the following roles at their disposal:
  • Power Blocker: Chooses one target per night. Any powers that player has will be suspended until the next night. May not target any player more than once.
  • Handsome Devil: When seered, always returns a "Contestant" result.
  • Any of the other roles listed in this post may actually be a wolf role.

Seers:
Some producer must have liked what you bring to the table because you'll be one of the players receiving daily dossiers. Just quietly let a producer know who you're curious about (PM necklessone) and you'll get a folder with all kinds of information, including whether they are a wolf or whether they are also getting dossiers.
All seers will have a type from the list below but will not be informed of it. Not all types will be in play. When seered, a wolf seer will return the same result that a human seer would.
  • Confused Seer: Sees wolves as contestants, seers as seer, and contestants as wolves.
  • Insane Seer: Results are generated randomly.
  • Mirrored Seer: Results are coded in the same manner as the Confused Seer. If his seer target is targeted by other players on the same night, the seering is randomly redirected to one of the other players targeting the seer target. The Mirrored Seer will not be informed of the redirection.
  • Naive Seer: See contestants as contestants, seers and contestants, and wolves as contestants.
  • Paranoid Seer: Sees contestants as wolves, seers as wolves, and wolves as wolves.
  • Professional Seer: Sees contestants as contestant, seers as seer, and wolves as wolf. This is always a wolf role.
  • Quantum Seer: POWER REDACTED
  • Role Seer: Sees contestants and wolves with no other role as either contestants or seers (chosen randomly), all others as wolves.
  • Rotating Seer: Alternates between different seering patterns (could be a Sane Seer Day 1, a Confused Seer Day 2, and a seer who sees contestants as seers, seers as wolves, and wolves as contestants Day 3). Pattern will repeat after three days.
  • Sane Seer: Sees contestants as contestants, seers as seers, and wolves as wolves.
  • Seer Seer: Sees contestants as seers, seers as seers, and wolves as seers.
  • Simple Seer: Seers results follow a repeating three part pattern (eg, contestant -> seer -> wolf -> Repeat).
  • Target Seer: Results are coded in the same manner as the Sane Seer. If his seer target uses a power to target another player, the seering is redirected to the seer target's target. The Target Seer will not be informed of the redirection.
  • Vigilante Seer: Seers vigilantes as wolves, all others as contestants or seers (chosen randomly). If a vigilante is seered, REDACTED.
  • Vote Seer: Sees as sane seer, but the target of visions is actually the person their target voted for that day.

Cousin of the production assistant (Jailer)
Someone really screwed up your background check - you've got a contact on the inside. Of course, all your cousin really does is get coffee for the producers and distribute copies of paperwork. But what if some paperwork went missing? Each night you may choose one player: all night actions done to and by that player get "lost" in the pile of paperwork. If you do any of the following, your cousin will get caught the next morning and fired: target the same player twice in a row, target yourself twice during the game, target any other player three times during the game.

Paparazzi (Vigilante - Possibly Multiple)
Nude pictures? You've got them. Someone cheating on their spouse? You can prove it. Hell, you've got enough dirt on everyone that you could easily get someone thrown off the show for breach of the morality clause in their contract. One per game you may use your accumulated photos to have someone removed from the game. You must reveal them in the day thread to have the player booted mid-day (include a bolded line declaring your post a vigilante kill).

The Networker (Possibly Multiple)
Look at this room full of brand new people! Just imagine how many LinkedIn contacts you can gather today, and then how many you can develop through those. Thankfully you were able to conceal a small supply of business cards and your trusty fountain pen. Once per day you can discretely slip any player your business card with a small message written on the back; they'll be able to respond in kind. (PM your target and necklessone the message along with this disclaimer: "POWER USAGE. You may reply during this day only with a 140 character message; please copy necklessone in the response.")

Contestants
You have no advantages but your wits. Go win the Grand Prize.
One contestant will actually be the Cosmic Joke, a player who will always return a "Wolf" result when seered.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 29 Aug 2013, 12:39:50

To keep things orderly, I want to make it clear that this thread is the only source of official rules for the game. Anything in the sign-up thread may have changed between when it was posted and when the game started. To help with this, I'm going to go through the sign-up thread and re-post relevant rulings here.

Seer Targeting Restrictions
Seers may not target themselves. They may target the same player multiple times.

Vigilante Kills
Vigilantes may not kill as a night action this game.

Death Reveals
When a player is killed, I will reveal their team and role. The role of seers will be revealed simply as "Seer".

Voting Restrictions
No voting for one's self or for no lynch. Wolves may not vote for no maul.

Seering Priority
When a target is seered, their role is checked first for relevant information (eg, Sane seer looks for seers, vigilante seer looks for vigilantes, role seer looks for any special role). If there is no relevant information in the role, then the team is checked. For example, a wolf seer and a human seer both return the same result to the Sane seer because the first thing it checks is the role ("Seer"). Same with a wolf vigilante and a human vigilante to the Vigilante seer.

Duplicate Roles
The only roles that may have duplicates in this game are marked in the role list: the Networker and the Paparazzi. No seer type is duplicated.

Dossier Fluff
Night 1: You paw through the folder left at your podium. Height, eye color, BMI, some notes from his grammar school teachers. Finally, on the last page: XXX is a XXX.
Night 2: Today's dossier includes a wonderful sketch of XXX as a XXX.
Night 3: No fluff.
Night 4: No fluff.

What is a penalty?
A penalty is something that happens when a contestant is lynched, no matter what language the host tries to use to pretty it up. Penalties include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • Some sort of restriction/punishment related only to the people who voted for the lynchee.
  • Sort sort of restriction/punishment on all players.
  • Some sort of benefit for the wolf team.

What is a prize?
A prize is something that happens when a wolf is lynched. Any player who voted for the wolf will receive a prize of some sort. Not all players will always receive the same prize.

Wolves, Prizes, and Penalties
Wolves will receive a subset of the prizes and all of the penalties they have earned. Which prizes they were eligible for will not be revealed.

Vote Coupons
The prize on Day 4 was coupons that can be redeemed to reduce votes on Days 5, 6, and 7. To use them, the bearer needs to make a declaration in the day thread and post the image (or a link to the image) that I will be providing soon. There is no time of day restriction on the coupons, so they may be used to anti-vote snipe. Coupons are non-transferrable and one time use only; they last until the end of the day they were used.
Ignore any mention of PMs in the original coupon message; that was a hold over from earlier versions of the power.

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 29 Aug 2013, 14:55:03

Inane banter goes here.

Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Ionitor » 29 Aug 2013, 16:30:28

Insult directed at necklessone goes here.

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 29 Aug 2013, 22:12:51

Presumably the Cosmic Joke doesn't know he's a Joke, but the Handsome Devil does know exactly how Handsome he is?

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 30 Aug 2013, 03:24:44

Ozymandias wrote:Presumably the Cosmic Joke doesn't know he's a Joke, but the Handsome Devil does know exactly how Handsome he is?

That is true.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 30 Aug 2013, 05:16:45

Ozymandias wrote:Presumably the Cosmic Joke doesn't know he's a Joke, but the Handsome Devil does know exactly how Handsome he is?

The Handsome Devil measures in at 1.7 Clooneys.

FurinMirado
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby FurinMirado » 30 Aug 2013, 05:20:17

sphenodont wrote:

The Handsome Devil measures in at 1.7 Clooneys.

That's 1.3 Connerys for those using the Metric System.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 30 Aug 2013, 08:36:32

Your vigilante flavor text about losing paperwork mainly refers to the jailer flavor text, right? Is the kill used up if blocked, or can it be tried again the next day?

I've got a fairly good idea of what a quantum seer would be. Hopefully it can't resolve to Rotating Seer, because if so, I imagine there's like a 90% chance it will end up there. ;)

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 30 Aug 2013, 08:43:31

Admetus wrote:Your vigilante flavor text about losing paperwork mainly refers to the jailer flavor text, right? Is the kill used up if blocked, or can it be tried again the next day?

I've got a fairly good idea of what a quantum seer would be. Hopefully it can't resolve to Rotating Seer, because if so, I imagine there's like a 90% chance it will end up there. ;)

Yes. Night vigilante kills can be blocked by the jailer and any other reward based powers that mimic that effect. The kill is used up if blocked. If you want to be sure your target dies, you'll have to do it during the day.

Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Ionitor » 30 Aug 2013, 09:56:29

necklessone wrote:Wolf paparazzi will not be able to use the kill as a night power.

Wouldn't an EOD snipe post be able to get someone effectively confirmed as human with this rule?

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 30 Aug 2013, 10:19:07

Good point. Day vig for all.

Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Ionitor » 30 Aug 2013, 10:45:38

necklessone wrote:Good point. Day vig for all.

Yeah, I figured I should make it more plausible that the other 9 loopholes were ones I found "after" the game started.

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 31 Aug 2013, 08:45:13

necklessone wrote:[Handsome Devil: When seered, always returns a "Human" result.

I assume by "Human" you mean "Contestant"?
Last edited by Ozymandias on 31 Aug 2013, 09:08:30, edited 2 times in total.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 31 Aug 2013, 09:04:23

Ozymandias wrote:
necklessone wrote:[*]Handsome Devil: When seered, always returns a "Human" result.

I assume you mean "Contestant"? Or is "Seer" a possibility for the HD?

That's what I meant. Corrected.

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 31 Aug 2013, 09:09:17

necklessone wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
necklessone wrote:[*]Handsome Devil: When seered, always returns a "Human" result.

I assume you mean "Contestant"? Or is "Seer" a possibility for the HD?

That's what I meant. Corrected.

Okay, I think Simple Seer and Vigilante Seer may also need to be corrected.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 31 Aug 2013, 09:17:10

I really should have just done a find and replace, shouldn't I have?

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 31 Aug 2013, 09:17:17

Does the Role Seer see vanilla Wolves as Wolves or Contestants?

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 31 Aug 2013, 09:39:29

Wolves.

Edit: No, changed my mind. I'll update the final role list shortly, but vanilla wolves will come up as either seer or contestant to the Role Seer.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 01 Sep 2013, 16:27:41

I've updated the roles list with the final version. Two new seers were added and there was some reworking.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 01 Sep 2013, 16:49:39

All role PMs should be out. Let me know via PM if something doesn't seem correct. We'll be starting in the next hour or so.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 01 Sep 2013, 17:04:00

"Do--Do--Do you have it?!"

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 01 Sep 2013, 19:42:31

GM, does the Sane Seer see the Professional Seer as a "Seer" or a "Wolf"? (Also, can you unhide yourself for this game? Thanks.)
Last edited by Ozymandias on 01 Sep 2013, 20:12:29, edited 2 times in total.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 01 Sep 2013, 20:09:43

But if I unhide myself, then you'll know when I'm ignoring you! :P

The sane seer would see the professional seer as a seer. A quick flowchart for seer results is coming soon.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 01 Sep 2013, 20:27:38

Actually, bed first, flowchart later. The long and short of it is for the any character with a team and a role (eg contestant & seer, wolf & seer, contestant & vigilante), the team affiliation (contestant/wolf) is checked second, and then only if the seer power that targeted them didn't find something useful in the role.

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 02 Sep 2013, 14:27:07

Do daytime Networker PMs affect the results of the Mirrored and Target Seers?

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 02 Sep 2013, 15:05:51

No, only night powers trigger their redirection.

FurinMirado
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby FurinMirado » 03 Sep 2013, 09:30:22

What's your ruling on self-voting?

(I don't see it mentioned above)

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 03 Sep 2013, 09:41:59

FurinMirado wrote:What's your ruling on self-voting?

(I don't see it mentioned above)

No self voting. No voting no lynch. No voting no maul.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 03 Sep 2013, 11:25:51

I feel like this might have been answered before, but I don't see it in the thread. Do blocking powers like the Jailer and Power Blocker stop the Cosmic Joke or Handsome Devil from overriding seers? From the rule text, it seems like the answer would be "yes both do." The Jailer prevents any results from coming back to a seer, so they won't get their static answer, and the Power Blocker would suppress CJ and HD, making them return as if they were an ordinary human or wolf. Is this right?

So a "no result" would definitively show that the person had been jailed?

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 03 Sep 2013, 11:33:34

Admetus wrote:I feel like this might have been answered before, but I don't see it in the thread. Do blocking powers like the Jailer and Power Blocker stop the Cosmic Joke or Handsome Devil from overriding seers? From the rule text, it seems like the answer would be "yes both do." The Jailer prevents any results from coming back to a seer, so they won't get their static answer, and the Power Blocker would suppress CJ and HD, making them return as if they were an ordinary human or wolf. Is this right?

Are CJ and HD actual powers? I would have considered them more as attributes, since the "power" is passive.

Besides, I doubt the CJ thinks s/he has a "power." :)

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 03 Sep 2013, 11:37:55

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:Are CJ and HD actual powers? I would have considered them more as attributes, since the "power" is passive.

Besides, I doubt the CJ thinks s/he has a "power." :)

Whatever you want to call them, I think the subtleties will be important to the analysis we'll eventually be doing. ;)

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 03 Sep 2013, 11:42:10

Admetus wrote:I feel like this might have been answered before, but I don't see it in the thread. Do blocking powers like the Jailer and Power Blocker stop the Cosmic Joke or Handsome Devil from overriding seers? From the rule text, it seems like the answer would be "yes both do." The Jailer prevents any results from coming back to a seer, so they won't get their static answer, and the Power Blocker would suppress CJ and HD, making them return as if they were an ordinary human or wolf. Is this right?

Yes, they both cancel out the CJ and HD returning the results you mentioned. They will both show up as specials to the Role Seer if the Role-Blocker hits them the same night as the Role Seer.

A "no result" means either the seer's target or the seer was jailed. People being jailed will not be informed.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 03 Sep 2013, 11:44:31

A "no result" means either the seer's target or the seer was jailed. People being jailed will not be informed.

Oh, of course. That will probably be pretty apparent when notes are being compared, but the person getting the results won't know which end of it they're on, I see.

Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Ionitor » 03 Sep 2013, 12:03:06

necklessone wrote:No voting no maul.

Are you sure about this? There's some strategic reasons to use no maul that we've allowed in the past (particularly at/near LOL), and it potentially makes the jailer power much stronger.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 03 Sep 2013, 12:16:10

Admetus wrote:

Oh, of course. That will probably be pretty apparent when notes are being compared, but the person getting the results won't know which end of it they're on, I see.

Oh, wait. Is the target of the Power Blocker told they were blocked, or would a blocked seer just get "no result" as well?

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 03 Sep 2013, 12:53:56

Ionitor wrote:
necklessone wrote:No voting no maul.

Are you sure about this? There's some strategic reasons to use no maul that we've allowed in the past (particularly at/near LOL), and it potentially makes the jailer power much stronger.

I was back and forth on it for a little while, but I'm going to stay firm on "no maul" not being allowed this game. I understand that I'm closing some strategic door to the wolves, but I think this variant gives them a lot of things to work with. And the jailer power has some restrictions placed on it to try and keep it in line.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 03 Sep 2013, 12:55:13

Admetus wrote:
Admetus wrote:

Oh, wait. Is the target of the Power Blocker told they were blocked, or would a blocked seer just get "no result" as well?

A blocked seer also gets "no result". Can't have things being too easy to work out. A blocked jailer would be told their power failed and a blocked vig or networker would be told they can't use their power that day. Blocked CJ or HD would know nothing.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 03 Sep 2013, 12:56:49

I'll add this up top later, but I wanted to answer a question I got in PM for all of you.

Death Reveals
When a player is killed, I will reveal their team and role. The role of seers will be revealed simply as "Seer".

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 04 Sep 2013, 07:00:06

To keep things orderly, I want to make it clear that this thread is the only source of official rules for the game. Anything in the sign-up thread may have changed between when it was posted and when the game started. To help with this, I'm going to go through the sign-up thread and re-post relevant rulings here.

Seer Targeting Restrictions
Seers may not target themselves. They may target the same player multiple times.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 04 Sep 2013, 09:23:50

Duplicate Roles
The only roles that may have duplicates in this game are marked in the role list: the Networker and the Paparazzi. No seer type is duplicated.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 04 Sep 2013, 17:57:04

Wolves, Prizes, and Penalties
Wolves will receive a subset of the prizes and all of the penalties they have earned. Which prizes they were eligible for will not be revealed.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 05 Sep 2013, 08:00:31

Since it's fair game for paraphrasing, let's get ahead of any meta-game disaster.

Dossier Fluff
Night 1: You paw through the folder left at your podium. Height, eye color, BMI, some notes from his grammar school teachers. Finally, on the last page: XXX is a XXX.
Night 2: Today's dossier includes a wonderful sketch of XXX as a XXX.
Night 3: No fluff.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 06 Sep 2013, 09:04:50

What is a penalty?
A penalty is something that happens when a contestant is lynched, no matter what language the host tries to use to pretty it up. Penalties include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • Some sort of restriction/punishment related only to the people who voted for the lynchee.

What is a prize?
A prize is something that happens when a wolf is lynched. Try making that happen someday, then we'll talk.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 06 Sep 2013, 09:15:50

necklessone wrote:What is a penalty?

What is a prize?
A penalty is something that happens when a wolf is lynched. Try making that happen someday, then we'll talk.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. You did have a small mistake though, marked above. So in day 4 where we're picking and PM'ing you, we're picking between penalty type 1, and penalty type 2-3.

Ionitor
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Ionitor » 06 Sep 2013, 09:15:56

necklessone wrote:What is a prize?
A penalty is something that happens when a wolf is lynched. Try making that happen someday, then we'll talk.

Seriously, there's no way to win with you, is there?

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 06 Sep 2013, 09:17:03

Just be happy it's Day 4 and I haven't activated your hidden powers yet.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 06 Sep 2013, 09:18:08

Admetus wrote:
necklessone wrote:What is a penalty?

What is a prize?

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. You did have a small mistake though, marked above. So in day 4 where we're picking and PM'ing you, we're picking between penalty type 1, and penalty type 2-3.

Corrected. And yes, the box event is about shifting the penalty type from the first to some other type.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 07 Sep 2013, 05:24:04

Vote Coupons
The prize on Day 4 was coupons that can be redeemed to reduce votes on Days 5, 6, and 7. To use them, the bearer needs to make a declaration in the day thread and post the image (or a link to the image) that I will be providing soon. There is no time of day restriction on the coupons, so they may be used to anti-vote snipe. Coupons are non-transferrable.

Return to “Under the Bright Lights”