TWG 101: Whispers in the darkness

New Player Information Here!
Welcome aboard, pup!
twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
TWG 1 Posts: 0

TWG 101: Whispers in the darkness

Postby twdog » 26 Sep 2016, 18:55:26

The setting? A remote lonely ski lodge high in the mountains, still open but long past it’s prime and decaying. The bored skeleton staff pays little attention to their only guests, a crew of surveyors evaluating the area for a possible water pipeline expansion. It’s been slow going; the test drilling gives anomalous results, not at all what they expected, and they've all been complaining of headaches. Probably the altitude.

Enter our first group: a black ops team tasked to neutralize “anomalous” items. They arrange for everyone to be sent away, leaving the resort abandoned. Perfect. No one to see, no one to interfere, no untrained minds to be controlled. But mysterious three letter agencies can’t account for everything, and unexpectedly, a blizzard roles in, trapping them there. Odd that ... sure, they can’t control everything but they can certainly do a weather forecast. Oh well, they’ll just wait it out and then carry on with the mission.

Turns out the blizzard wasn’t the only unexpected thing that happened. Everyone was sent away, and all reservations canceled, so it’s a big surprise when a bus load of tourists show up; missed the cancellation email and phone calls, somehow. I guess these things just happen. It’s all just chance, right?

Isn’t the safety of the entire Earth is more important than some tourists? Maybe it’d be best to eliminate them ... of course, you couldn’t just kill them all at once, best to pick them off one by one.

---

I’ll have full details in the actual rules thread in the game, but I'm going to include a detailed description because I wanted to make sure everyone is clear on what to expect with this game before you sign up so there aren’t any mismatched expectations. Also, if you have questions or concerns, I’m happy to talk about it now before we get started. Public or PM, either way.

---

This is an “Everyone is special” game, but with added complications. What a surprise.

The game is centered on the usual wolf vs. human parity game; the ticking clock where humans need to find the wolves before they’re all picked off one by one.

The first complication is an additional “end of the world” ticking clock. When the game starts, the clock will have 2 days on it, and the game will end with both wolves and humans losing at the start of day 3. Every day, the players will vote to either lynch someone as usual, or they can vote to add another day to the end of the world clock instead. The wolves get to maul regardless of whether the players choose to add another day to the clock or not.

But wait? Doesn’t that give a lot of advantage to the wolves? Effectively giving them extra mauls? Probably, and that’s why there will be multiple anti-maul powers. Instead of assigning special roles to people, there will be a list of special powers and anyone can pick an item off the list daily. So every day, you can PM me and say “tonight I want my power to be XYZ and I want to target it at player ABC”. Multiple people can pick the same power. Touching on the anti-maul role specifically, there will not be a GA, but there will be a Jailer role. We'll avoid giant chains of maul protection because the Jailer neutralizes any other role targeted, including other Jailers, and the Jailer cannot protect himself. The list does not include a seer or vigilante, incidentally.

Ok, even setting aside the whole jailer thing, isn’t this super broken and overpowered? Probably, and this brings us to the second complication: all those powers you can pick from? When you use them, you’re delving into things humanity wasn’t meant to know, you’re disturbing ancient powers that should have been left to sleep.

Every player has a “sanity score” of 50. Every time you use a power, I roll 3d8 and subtract it from your score. Once it gets to 40 bad things start to happen to you, and you'll get handicaps as you get closer to zero, and if actually gets to zero, you die. Yes, this means that a faction can make their game unwinnable if they all run their sanity scores down. You’ve been warned.

Got any 3rd party factions? Of course not! I’d never include a third party faction! Really, twdog? Ummm … Are you lying? You sound like you’re lying. Ummm … not really … umm … maybe a little … ok, fine. There’s a 3rd party. Fine. Happy now? I said that if the end of world clock ran out of time, the wolves and humans would lose. That true, but there’s another faction that would win.

Humans are so pathetic, they think this world, this reality, is all that there is. Like ants who imagine that a few weeds in a driveway is the universe. But some humans are different, some know of the vast and surreal dimension of The Dreamlands, a realm inhabited by dark powers wholly bent on the destruction of the waking world.

The Dreamlands is a separate isolated board accessible only by mask accounts. Anyone can access it, but they should expect sanity damage if they do. While in The Dreamlands, you will not be able to post to the day board. While in The Dreamlands, you can gain additional information about what the current player faction ratios are, what powers people have been using, what people’s current sanity rating is, you can listen in on PMs, and even donate sanity to another player. You can safely travel to The Dreamlands once, but if you go a second time you will be trapped there and no longer count for parity.

The 3rd party faction that is lurking in The Dreamlands is a set of players that access both waking world and The Dreamland simultaneously. They do not have a factional kill, but they can bribe and threaten people into helping them. Would you like a vigilante shot? They can give you that. Would you like to be able to seer? They can give you that. All you need to do is perform whatever minor task they give you.

But wait, why would I ever go along with them?! They’re 3rd party! Because they can damage your sanity, potentially killing you if you’ve already used most of it up. Again, you’ve been warned. But I shouldn’t talk about it as if it’s all just threats and blackmail, after all, play ball enough times and you can convert!

---

Game Day 1 will start on October the 3rd.

---

Current players:

Gungnir888
Ryvvn
7-Zark-7
asbath
Jrsthethird
rekard
ClearAsDay
Meta4
Aldax
Anzig
sphenodont
The Fairy Catmother
Omega
Jehos
San
rictus
Last edited by twdog on 27 Sep 2016, 09:30:25, edited 2 times in total.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

Jehos
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Re: TWG 101: Whispers in the darkness

Postby Jehos » 26 Sep 2016, 19:44:09

This sounds deliciously fun, but I'm trying to switch jobs and hopefully have an interview at the end of this week. I'm expecting RL so I'll have to watch from the sidelines.
DAMN YOU RICTUS!!!

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 26 Sep 2016, 20:21:46

Already confused...

In.

twdog

Postby twdog » 26 Sep 2016, 20:24:06

Ryvvn wrote:Already confused...

anything I can answer?

Ryvvn wrote:In.

great!

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 26 Sep 2016, 21:45:12

That was more a playful joke at how wordy your signup thread post is. I'll wait for official game rules to be shared before I worry about any actual confusion.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 26 Sep 2016, 21:51:36

I'm pretty disappointed that I'll be missing a twdog game... I always end up on the best factions in those.

Gotta go get married soon, though. :flail:

twdog

Postby twdog » 26 Sep 2016, 21:53:16

Ryvvn wrote:That was more a playful joke at how wordy your signup thread post is. I'll wait for official game rules to be shared before I worry about any actual confusion.

ok, no problem.

I know it's wordy, but last time around some people complained that the game I ran was too divergent from what you expect when you read "the wolf game" and I think there was truth to that. So this time around, I want everyone to be clear on what they're getting into, and I'm trying to make sure that this game is fundamentally about an uniformed majority trying to eliminate the informed majority before they run out of time. In hindsight, I think my previous games drifted too far away from that base concept.

twdog

Postby twdog » 26 Sep 2016, 21:59:06

Admetus wrote:I'm pretty disappointed that I'll be missing a twdog game... I always end up on the best factions in those.

You could loop your SO in. Just think how a great of a honeymoon it would be for the pair of you to lead the undead vampire faction

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 26 Sep 2016, 22:23:16

Believe me, she knows all about you people and your sick, twisted games. You could think of her as an unofficial spectator on all the games.

But really, there is no chance at all that I'd be able to hide my team alignment from her. Not for as long as it would take to get through a forum game, anyways.

twdog

Postby twdog » 26 Sep 2016, 22:29:44

Admetus wrote:Believe me, she knows all about you people and your sick, twisted games.

Hmm, maybe I should put tape on my webcam

asbath
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby asbath » 26 Sep 2016, 22:37:39

I'm good at killing humans. So what's a few tourists to add to my list of people to snub?

In.

Also, sanity? Really? As if it wasn't going to drive us batshit crazy we need to consider our own sanity now?

Even better

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 26 Sep 2016, 23:44:50

twdog wrote:
Admetus wrote:Believe me, she knows all about you people and your sick, twisted games.

Hmm, maybe I should put tape on my webcam

The least you could do is cover the one in the server room

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 27 Sep 2016, 00:25:36

twdog wrote:
Admetus wrote:I'm pretty disappointed that I'll be missing a twdog game... I always end up on the best factions in those.

You could loop your SO in.

No comment.

Also, congrats Admetus! If you mentioned this elsewhere on the boards, I must have overlooked it.

Gungnir888
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Gungnir888 » 27 Sep 2016, 06:05:02

In.

Dibs on cultist.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 27 Sep 2016, 08:30:44

Congrats!

I'm actually in the same boat. And will be on a real boat at some point in the middle of this game, as apparently that's what "airport shuttle" means in Bora Bora. Assuming this game will go beyond the 10th, I'm out.

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 27 Sep 2016, 09:11:27

In

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 27 Sep 2016, 09:31:51

dferrantino wrote:

Congrats!

I'm actually in the same boat. And will be on a real boat at some point in the middle of this game, as apparently that's what "airport shuttle" means in Bora Bora. Assuming this game will go beyond the 10th, I'm out.

Well congrats to you too, then! We won't be boating until some time next year when we take our deferred honeymoon.

Gungnir888
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Gungnir888 » 27 Sep 2016, 10:27:58

Congrats to both of you!

RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore

Postby RaveBomb » 27 Sep 2016, 11:17:32

Seeing as it's Not Cancer and life is suddenly less interesting I'm in.
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
Thank you, RaveBomb, for doing the insane thing and not betraying me to our inevitable collective demise.-Okaros

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Admetus » 27 Sep 2016, 11:29:39

RaveBomb wrote:Seeing as it's Not Cancer and life is suddenly less interesting I'm in.

Great news!

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 27 Sep 2016, 13:50:11

Good news all over this thread~

Gungnir888
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Gungnir888 » 27 Sep 2016, 13:51:17

RaveBomb wrote:Seeing as it's Not Cancer and life is suddenly less interesting I'm in.

Wow, congrats! I had that scare a year ago, and it's pretty all-consuming until you get through the battery of tests and that final result. Welcome back to the mundane.

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 27 Sep 2016, 14:41:51

I will play

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 28 Sep 2016, 04:08:40

Guess who (after 9 weeks) finally has internet! TIME TO PLAY ALL OF THE FACTORIO.

I am in because twdog games have never dissapointed.
THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE IS JUST CLEARASDAY.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 28 Sep 2016, 06:30:44

Yay internet. Welcome back CAD!

Not complete baked in my RP, but trying something...

I had the dream again - it comes to me now at the oddest of times, waking in a start, sweat soaked sheets tied around my legs, the look of fear in my wife's eyes. It can't be real... it just can't.

I don't talk to her about it - it sounds absurd when I give it voice. But I cannot hide it from her entirely, given she looses sleep in my nightly fight or flight as well. I settle for slightly less detail: The ravenous monster who chases. The fear of being consumed. That all I am... all I will ever be... will serve to feed and sustain the beast who literally nips at my heels.

Ever the rebel, I taunt my demon... if I die tonight, I meet my destiny in my own fashion, not willingly served to that blue fringed maw:

. Run, run as fast as you can!
. You can't catch me. I'm the Gingerbread Man!

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

twdog

Postby twdog » 28 Sep 2016, 07:32:54

Clearasday wrote:Guess who (after 9 weeks) finally has internet!

You should contact Amnesty International, or Human Rights Watch or someone about this atrocity. I'm not clear on what other options are in the UK, is this something you can bring up with your MP? Historically, some monarchs will accept petitions from citizens that have suffered an outrage, can you do anything like that? What about just staging an old-school bloody uprising by disgruntled ISP customers? Because someone's head needs to roll for this. 1789 over 10,000 Parisian women angry over continued food shortages attacked Versailles and tried to lynch random aristocrats and Marie Antoinette in particular. Doesn't continued internet shortages justify an violent mob as well?

twdog

Postby twdog » 28 Sep 2016, 09:15:46

I tossed up an Ars thread that I shamelessly ripped off from Okaros

Mister E. Meat
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Mister E. Meat » 28 Sep 2016, 10:15:25

Due to all the upcoming Jewish holidays, I'll have to sit this one out. It's too bad as I always seem to miss twdog's craziness.

twdog

Postby twdog » 28 Sep 2016, 10:17:32

You're just afraid I'll have some kill you from beyond the grave

Meta4
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Meta4 » 28 Sep 2016, 10:24:33

I read the introductory post up to the point where it mentioned "skeleton staff". I'm in!
"...it continues to be a bad idea to give in to the urge to lynch Meta4." -Admetus

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 28 Sep 2016, 10:42:50

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Bold Text Translation: In
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 28 Sep 2016, 11:01:57

twdog wrote:

You should contact Amnesty International, or Human Rights Watch or someone about this atrocity. I'm not clear on what other options are in the UK, is this something you can bring up with your MP? Historically, some monarchs will accept petitions from citizens that have suffered an outrage, can you do anything like that? What about just staging an old-school bloody uprising by disgruntled ISP customers? Because someone's head needs to roll for this. 1789 over 10,000 Parisian women angry over continued food shortages attacked Versailles and tried to lynch random aristocrats and Marie Antoinette in particular. Doesn't continued internet shortages justify an violent mob as well?

Yeah I plan to bring it up at my yearly catch-up with the Queen. But that's not til December, as she's meeting everyone in reverse-alphabetical order this year and Clearasday therefore comes near the end. I'd expect to at least see a Minister executed. Maybe even a Lord if I'm lucky.
THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE IS JUST CLEARASDAY.

Anzig
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby Anzig » 28 Sep 2016, 16:16:21

Bah! Humbug!
What has sanity ever done for me?

In.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353

Postby Omega » 28 Sep 2016, 16:40:55

Twdog, is there a map...?

twdog

Postby twdog » 28 Sep 2016, 16:44:13

Actually, there isn't. I consider the map concept a failure, and I won't be revisiting it.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 28 Sep 2016, 17:20:42

twdog wrote:I consider the map concept a failure, and I won't be revisiting it.

Challenge accepted, then. :shake:

(still out for this game)
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

twdog

Postby twdog » 28 Sep 2016, 18:19:46

If think you can make it work then by all means go ahead! I'll be happy to sign up.

It just feels like this should work. I can imagine everyone bickering and accusing each other during the day, and then at night people shadow the each other, watching for clues, maybe eavesdropping on clandestine meetings between a two or three players, meanwhile wolves stalk their prey through the gloom, cornering and mauling them in an blind alley, while another player breaks into a shop closed for the night, looking for weapons, on the rooftops vigilantes hide, waiting for their target to come into view, and in a deserted home a thief has broken in and is reading a diary, looking for any clue lupine affiliation. Then, in the morning, everyone comes to make the lynch vote with all sorts of new information and powers.

However, and this might be just poor game construction on my part, what actually happens is that if I try to focus on the deductive analysis part of the game, the map/night action stuff becomes pointless. What am I supposed to do, give someone a night report like ... "while searching the darkened park, you see ICB transform into a wolf and maul Ravebomb!" ... that's the thing, I can't give the wolves any sort of "wolfy" night action because it outs them. On the other hand, if I focus more on the map/night action stuff, the game morphs into a halfassed rpg and the deductive analysis tends to become irrelevant and people, rightly, think "this isn't the wolf game, this isn't what I thought I was signing up for"

So I consider it a failed as a The Wolf Game concept, but maybe someone with a different creative viewpoint might make it work.

Okaros wrote:(still out for this game)

:shake:

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 28 Sep 2016, 19:12:35

Ah, so not only Admetus, but apparently congrats are in order for dferr:
dferrantino wrote:

Congrats!

for Rave:
Admetus wrote:

Great news!

and, above all others, for CAD as well:
Clearasday wrote:
twdog wrote:

Yeah I plan to bring it up at my yearly catch-up with the Queen. But that's not til December, as she's meeting everyone in reverse-alphabetical order this year and Clearasday therefore comes near the end. I'd expect to at least see a Minister executed. Maybe even a Lord if I'm lucky.

Huzzah!

dferrantino wrote:Good news all over this thread~

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 28 Sep 2016, 20:40:26

I'm in.

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 29 Sep 2016, 08:28:20

In.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353

Postby Omega » 29 Sep 2016, 11:49:19

In

Jehos
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby Jehos » 29 Sep 2016, 14:40:51

Well the job thing is dragging its feet. I'm going to switch my vote to IN. I'm likely to be lynched before anything picks up in real life anyway.
DAMN YOU RICTUS!!!

San
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby San » 30 Sep 2016, 03:33:21

San will try playing.

Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Rictus » 01 Oct 2016, 11:13:36

Things have cleared up with work and now I can play. IN
Charming, to the last.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 01 Oct 2016, 15:16:39

Sitting this one out, but have fun!

twdog

Postby twdog » 02 Oct 2016, 23:31:22

I've spent pretty much the whole weekend in a giant work crisis, so we're running slightly late. It's 12:30 here right now, and I only got like 15 minutes ago. I'll be launching tomorrow morning with Day 1 ending on Tuesday.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 03 Oct 2016, 10:26:06

Keep me in the wings as a backup, should you need it. If you don't need it, go ahead and kill me off so I can point and laugh from the sideline :)

twdog

Postby twdog » 03 Oct 2016, 13:32:47

We're up! We can still take any last minute signups until day 1 starts

---

I've added DOM and Okaros as day board observers.

Blindsniper83
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Blindsniper83 » 03 Oct 2016, 16:24:39

possibly
#Vote for: in
RaveBomb making a lot of sense is how you know you're past the point of no return and that death is the only escape.

twdog

Postby twdog » 03 Oct 2016, 16:27:25

I still put you in if you want, day 0 doesn't end for another 3 and half hours.

Is that what you want? Just want to double check because you said "possibly"

Return to “New Game Signups”