This game is based off the card game Love Letter, which if you haven't played, is a game about trying to get your letter of love to the princess but having to pass through royal protectors along the way. For the purposes of this wolf game, I am merely using the roles from Love Letter to establish special powers for each player; at its base this is still a wolves vs human game.
This game is designed for 16 players; I will shed roles as necessary if there are less, or expand if there are more.
Each day the players will vote for one to be detained (revealed) and possibly ejected from the palace (discarded). After a player has been voted for detention, their role is revealed and they will not be able to vote the next day; the player will be given the chance to execute their role power over the course of the following day, and if their power has not changed their fate, they will be ejected that night and their faction revealed. Each night the wolves will vote to maul (shred) one player who is currently not in detention, the following morning only that player's faction will be revealed (the role information will be lost).
Roles have been slightly altered, updated descriptions are in the game thread; leaving original here for reference.
- [+] original role descriptions
- The roles and their royal values are as follows:
- 1. Guard (x5): During detention you may publicly choose an unrevealed player and publicly guess their role (other than guard), the player (or the GM) will answer with a simple "yes" or "no"; if you are correct, that player gets ejected instead and may not use their role power.
- 2. Priest (x2): During detention you may privately choose an unrevealed player and will be privately told their faction, you may choose to share that information if you wish; you will still be ejected at the end of the day.
- 3. Baron (x2): During detention you may privately choose any other player, if their value is lower than that day's vote winner (as determined and revealed by the GM), that player will be detained instead; you will still be ejected at the end of the day.
- 4. Handmaid (x2): During detention you may privately choose any other player, that player may not be detained (vote will bump to second place if they are vote winner), and may not be mauled that night; you will still be ejected at the end of the day.
- 5. Prince (x2): During detention you may publicly choose any other player to discard their current role, and then yours will be discarded as well; you will each be given a replacement from the discarded roles, and if the chosen player becomes a prince, you will survive and they will be ejected at the end of day instead.
- 6. King (x1): During detention you may privately choose any other player to trade roles with, your new role will be publicly revealed and you may then use the traded power immediately.
- 7. Countess (x1): During detention you may publicly select one other player to join you in detention (you may only select each player once per game), that player's role will be revealed but they may not use their power; if that player is the King or a Prince, you will be ejected at the end of the day; if that player is any other role, they will be ejected at the end of the day.
- 8. Princess (x1): During detention you hold the sole vote for the next day, the players may discuss and persuade your vote, but only your vote will count that day; you will still be ejected at the end of the day.
If the count reaches the full 16, I'm thinking 3 wolves and 13 humans, and the roles are randomly distributed among all players regardless of faction.
If anyone notices any glaringly bad balance issues in those powers, please let me know. Otherwise, I will move forward with this, possibly slightly alter a few things based on player count, and be ready to start by mid-week if the signups come quick or next monday at the latest if they drag.
The Fairy Catmother