The Rules

The centerpiece of our idyllic community. Just ignore the reddish-brown stains on the pavement...
sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

The Rules

Postby sphenodont » 30 Jan 2014, 07:22:03

The Basics
This game is mostly vanilla, with a few variations among the roles. Otherwise, by day we lynch, by night we maul.

There are no PMs in this game. The werewolves will have a board. You cannot CC my PMs to you to the board without asking first.

Failure to vote in the lynch will result in a two-vote penalty against the player during the next day's vote (compounding for each consecutive day of missed votes).

Roles
Ordinary Townsfolk - Regular humans
Werewolf - Irregular werewolves
The Fortune Teller - Standard seer. Can see the faction and role of one player each night
The Hunter - Revenge vigilante. Will kill someone else when they die. If they are mauled, it will be one of the wolves (randomly). If it is due to other cause of death, they can choose who to shoot.
The Witch - Combo Guardian Angel/Vigilante. Has two potions. One can restore life to any player that has been killed that day/night, the other can poison and kill any player. Cannot do both on the same night, and each is once per game.
Cupid - The Cupid. Chooses the Lovers. Wins alongside them in a Lovers' Victory.
The Lovers - standard lovers. Want to be together at the end game. Cannot vote to lynch each other, and if playing for opposite teams, want to kill everyone else (other than Cupid) in order to win.
The Sheriff - This role is not assigned, but is instead elected by the players on Day Zero. The Sheriff's vote is worth two in the totals, and the Sheriff also decides ties on lynch votes (even if it wasn't for a candidate they voted for). The Sheriff cannot refuse the role, nor can he resign. If he dies, he names is successor.

(If we have enough players, which is doubtful, we might add a proper Guardian Angel or Vigilante.)

Day Zero
Day Zero has one special mechanic: the election of a Sheriff. In addition to all the typical pregame shenanigans, each player will place a vote for a Sheriff. (These votes can be retracted.) Players can vote "No Sheriff", but at the start of each day where there is no Sheriff, there will be another election (until one is chosen). If there is a tie, this vote will be resolved randomly.
Day Zero has another special mechanic: the Cupid will choose two players to become the Lovers. They will be notified of their being struck by Love's Mighty Arrow at the start of Day One.

Night Actions
The order of operations for night actions are:
  1. Fortune Teller
  2. Werewolves
  3. Hunter (if mauled)
  4. Witch

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Re: The Rules

Postby sphenodont » 30 Jan 2014, 07:24:28

sphenodont wrote:
Admetus wrote:How does the revive function work? Is it picked ahead of time and if that person dies, they're revived? Or does the GM check with the Witch after deaths to see if the Witch wants to revive one?

It'll be a combination of prearranged conditionals and a last-minute check-in. It worked better last time around because I needed at least an hour or so to take pictures for the day-end / day-beginning posts. I'll probably ask for a daily list of "who would you want to save today, if they die?"

The Sheriff tie-breaker will also be something similar. I'll ask for a list each day of how to break ties, if it comes down to it.

If the Sheriff fails to provide a tie-breaker and doesn't provide a tie-breaker shortly after EOD, ties will be broken randomly.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 30 Jan 2014, 07:24:37

sphenodont wrote:Clarifications:

There is no voting by PM this time around. That was a very, very silly mistake.

The Hunter: Will kill one of the wolves if mauled at random. If lynched, will choose who do shoot. If poisoned, will survive in agony until morning, and then choose who to shoot.

The Witch: Health potion can revive someone who was lynched, except for self. The Witch can revive herself after being mauled, however.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 31 Jan 2014, 15:57:12

Role PMs will be sent out tonight or tomorrow. They will include a picture of the card representing your role.

You are a Villager!
Your goal is to find and exterminate the werewolf menace. You win when all the werewolves are dead and gone.

You are a Werewolf!
Your goal is to find and eat the most delicious of the humans in the village! You win whenever the number of humans and number of wolves are equal.

You are the Fortune Teller!
You have the special ability to see the role of any other player, once per night. Send me a PM each day with your target, and I will provide you with the information the next morning.
You are a villager. Your goal is to find and exterminate the werewolf menace. You win when all the werewolves are dead and gone.

You are the Witch!
You have the special ability to take one life and give one life. You have two single-use abilities that are triggered as night actions. One is a poison that will kill any player without anyone else knowing it. The other is a life-restoring player that can bring any player back to life, so long as they died the day or night before (either to the lynch, hunter's shot, or maul).
You can save yourself from being shot or mauled, but not from being lynched.
You cannot both poison someone and save someone on the same night.
To help save time, you can send me a list via PM of the players you would be willing to use your potion to save, and I will assume it is current unless you update it or tell me otherwise. Additionally, at the end of each day, I will send a PM with the lynch and maul victims and if you can reply within five minutes, I will allow last-minute changes.
Finally, if you do save someone's life, you can choose whether to reveal your identity to them (via a PM from me).

You are the Hunter!
You have a special, albeit bittersweet, ability. You are a cantankerous old cuss who is heavily armed, which means if anyone kills you, you will take someone else with you.
If you are lynched or poisoned, you can choose any one player to shoot and kill. If you are mauled, one of the wolves will be killed at random.
You are a villager. Your goal is to find and exterminate the werewolf menace. You win when all the werewolves are dead and gone.
To help save time, you can send me a list via PM of the players you would want to take with you if you die, in order of preference. I will assume it is current unless you update it or tell me otherwise. Additionally, when you do die, I will send a PM with the lynch and maul victims and if you can reply within five minutes, I will allow last-minute changes.

You are Cupid!
You have a special ability, the Power of Love! On Day Zero, PM me the name of two players. Those two players will become The Lovers.
You are a villager. Your goal is to find and exterminate the werewolf menace. You win when all the werewolves are dead and gone. You also win if the Lovers meet their endgame, either as the last other player standing or if you've died.

You are The Sheriff

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 0
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 31 Jan 2014, 16:34:22

You've got some tiggle-taggles on the end of your post. Missing a picture?

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 31 Jan 2014, 20:43:09

Thanks. Fixed.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 05 Feb 2014, 09:56:23

Witch based question time!

Player Fuzzy is a Wolf.
Player Warty is a Witch.
Player Victim is a Villager.
Player Tasty is a Hunter.

On Day X, Victim is lynched.
On Night X, Fuzzy and friends maul Tasty. Tasty's power triggers and Fuzzy is chosen to be shot.

What options is Warty given? Is she given the choice of reviving Tasty and Victim first, and only if she passes is she given the option of reviving Fuzzy? Is she given all three? If so, what happens if she revives Tasty?

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 05 Feb 2014, 09:58:57

While I'm asking questions: can the wolves maul one of their own?

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 05 Feb 2014, 10:22:38

necklessone wrote:Witch based question time!

Player Fuzzy is a Wolf.
Player Warty is a Witch.

On Day X, Victim is lynched.
On Night X, Fuzzy and friends maul Tasty. Tasty's power triggers and Fuzzy is chosen to be shot.

What options is Warty given? Is she given the choice of reviving Tasty and Victim first, and only if she passes is she given the option of reviving Fuzzy? Is she given all three? If so, what happens if she revives Tasty?

Near the end of Day Zero, spheno wrote:

sphenodont wrote:And the hunter shot only goes off it he is really really dead.

... which I interpreted as meaning that if the Witch revives the Hunter, then the Hunter's revenge vig shot won't go off.

Not sure if the Witch will find out which ones of the Wolves would have died before making the decision to revive the Hunter.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 05 Feb 2014, 10:45:46

I'd assume not, because it'd be the equivalent of a free seer since the hunter can only shoot wolves at night. But I figured better to be safe and assume nothing.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 05 Feb 2014, 10:50:36

My guess is that it goes like this:

1) Lynch and Maul victim are chosen, and the Witch is PM'd their names and perhaps whether they were lynched or mauled but nothing else
2) Either the Witch responds with whether either should be saved, or The List is referenced
3) If a player was saved, they never join the dead thread and return to play as normal. No reveals. Otherwise, resolve their death as normal, which is when the Hunter target would be chosen.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 05 Feb 2014, 11:08:30

necklessone wrote:While I'm asking questions: can the wolves maul one of their own?

If they really, really wanted to, sure, why not? It would be awfully silly, though.

necklessone wrote:Player Fuzzy is a Wolf.
Player Warty is a Witch.

On Day X, Victim is lynched. On Night X, Fuzzy and friends maul Tasty. Tasty's power triggers and Fuzzy is chosen to be shot.

Let's trry to nail down the timing:
EOD Happens
If Sheriff needs to break ties, this happens now.
Lynch is resolved.
Seer vision is resolved.
Maul is resolved.
Witch is notified of the lynch and maul victims, and is allowed to save either one. The witch will only know that they are human; no other role information is provided.
If the Hunter is either lynched/mauled and is saved by the witch, no revenge shot is made.
Addendum: If the Hunter is not saved and makes a wolf kill, the Witch will be notified that a wolf has been shot and will be given the option to save that player, as well. This is to allow a Witch to save her Wolf Lover (and herself), if that were the scenario in play.
If the Witch does not save anyone, she may poison someone.
If the Witch poisons someone, she may NOT save them.
If the Hunter was lynched or poisoned, he may shoot someone of his choosing.
The witch cannot save someone shot by a lynched/poisoned Hunter.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 05 Feb 2014, 11:15:29

sphenodont wrote:The witch will only know that they are human; no other role information is provided.

So you will reveal faction information?

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 05 Feb 2014, 11:25:29

From the Day 2 thread:

Yikes.

Okay. This is supposed to be mostly vanilla (and really meaning it!), which means nothing super crazy, powers flying all over the place, mayhem at every turn. Clearly that doesn't work when it comes in contact with all of y'all.

So here's the skinny: There is nothing prohibiting wolves from mauling one of their own. It would be extremely stupid and very silly... but if the wolves want to disadvantage themselves, go nuts.

The witch, being a nocturnal type, will be clearly able to distinguish a dead human from a dead werewolf from a dead sharkman. She will not know if a human is a special role, but she will know they are not a mangy wolfman.

Return to “The Village Green”