Day 0 - A Place To Hang Your Hat

The centerpiece of our idyllic community. Just ignore the reddish-brown stains on the pavement...
Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Re: Day 0 - A Place To Hang Your Hat

Postby Ozymandias » 02 Feb 2014, 10:25:43

rekard, perhaps instead of regurgitating your arguments ad nauseum you could actually address questions that are posed to you.

For example, you've now presented this specific scenario twice:

rekard wrote:A wolf about to die in a lynch may attempt to claim being a hunter to fish him out. The wolf will die anyways but at least, they have a hunter in the open they don't have to worry about.

So I will ask you again: what do YOU suggest a Hunter should do in this scenario?

Should they (a) allow the fake Wolf Hunter to escape the lynch and gain Human cred, or (b) come forward and counter-claim?

Because if your answer is (b), then all you've done is provide even more reason why the Hunter should role-claim on Day 1, since the Wolves have a sure-fire way of defusing his ability.

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 02 Feb 2014, 10:37:37

This is the most hotly-contested Day Zero I think I can remember.

But I may or may not be drinkiing

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 02 Feb 2014, 11:08:07

Ozymandias wrote:rekard, perhaps instead of regurgitating your arguments ad nauseum you could actually address questions that are posed to you.

rekard wrote:A wolf about to die in a lynch may attempt to claim being a hunter to fish him out. The wolf will die anyways but at least, they have a hunter in the open they don't have to worry about.

So I will ask you again: what do YOU suggest a Hunter should do in this scenario?

Should they (a) allow the fake Wolf Hunter to escape the lynch and gain Human cred, or (b) come forward and counter-claim?

Because if your answer is (b), then all you've done is provide even more reason why the Hunter should role-claim on Day 1, since the Wolves have a sure-fire way of defusing his ability.

And you should stop asking for answers that you should know can't be answered reliably at this point. What I said are actions that the hunter can reasonably do and that you and Hellheart automatically discard to advance your argument. I can't answer either because I am not sure. Because people can act in ways I can't predict and you can not either.

As I said, I think the hunter's ability is worth more than what the sheriff can offer. We should not give up the chance of a wolf autokill just to have an imperfect human. Also, confirmed humans are useful when the reveal comes in a later day, not when everyone is alive.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 02 Feb 2014, 11:24:29

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:This is the most hotly-contested Day Zero I think I can remember.

You may have forgotten when CAD roleplayed Darth Maul, and actively campaigned for the Sheriff's office. Since it ended with him holding my severed head, I remember it clearly (You're welcome)

Iron Clad Burrito then wrote:But I may or may not be drinkiing

Drinking and Driving (specifically, "Not") is one of the unwritten rules. There's more than people think. Most only remember the original three rules when transporting:
Rule #1: "Never change the deal",
Rule #2: "No names",
Rule #3: "Never open the package."

It bothers me how much Ozy is trying to open the package
(not a vote):
Ozymandias wrote:rekard, perhaps instead of regurgitating your arguments ad nauseum you could actually address questions that are posed to you.

We all need to remember this. Transporting is a game of informed minority against uninformed majority.
We've seen helpful wolves in the past, who wrote: The Wolf: Get it straight buster - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do and if self-preservation is an instinct you possess you'd better fucking do it and do it quick. I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.

Jules: No, Mr. Wolf, it ain't like that, your help is definitely appreciated.

Vincent: I don't mean any disrespect, I just don't like people barking orders at me.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

The helpful wolf still has an agenda, and it's not in favor of us villagers.
As such, and as much as it sickens me to state this... I agree with Rekard when he wrote:You and Hellheart missed the point. It's about scenarios that can happen, and can't be discarded because people can't and won't behave as you are assuming. A wolf about to die in a lynch may attempt to claim being a hunter to fish him out. The wolf will die anyways but at least, they have a hunter in the open they don't have to worry about. Or sometimes the hunter won't counterclaim and wait for the right time if it's not a critical moment. Specially if it is able to manipulate the wolves into making bad votes or giving them the uneasiness of "why isn't he counterclaiming?". I know I wouldn't say anything if I was the hunter, just to screw with the wolves and bide my time for when it is more appropiate and observe this so called "hunter" moves.

A wolf is going to attempt a claim only after the populous has his scent. There's no reason not to if it buys him a day, but, and this is important, it rarely works for more than 1 day, so it is only useful at the end of a game. Contrast that with the "guaranteed to hit a wolf" shot the Hunter has if he is mauled. Eliminating that shot via a public Hunter (especially at the start of the game) and destroying any vote history that might come from pushing that reveal a few days down the road is in the best interest of exactly one team... care to guess who?

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 02 Feb 2014, 11:30:58

(( I am not siding with Ozymandias in the "Hunter should be the Sheriff" argument, but I definitely think it should be entirely up to the Hunter at this point. I agree with rekard that having a Confirmed Human on Day 1 is completely useless outside of his being Sheriff. The Hunter revealing himself that early is only pro-Village if he is effective enough in his role as Sheriff to make up for the possibility that he can kill a wolf. There are several players here that could pull that off.

Simply put, regardless of what the actual Hunter does, a Hunter claim should save a player from a lynch unless he's far and away the wolfiest player of the bunch. There is zero benefit and enormous loss for lynching the Hunter unless he has a known wolf to target. ))

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 02 Feb 2014, 11:33:46

Hellheart wrote:(( I am not siding with Ozymandias in the "Hunter should be the Sheriff" argument, but I definitely think it should be entirely up to the Hunter at this point. I agree with rekard that having a Confirmed Human on Day 1 is completely useless outside of his being Sheriff. The Hunter revealing himself that early is only pro-Village if he is effective enough in his role as Sheriff to make up for the possibility that he can kill a wolf. There are several players here that could pull that off.

Simply put, regardless of what the actual Hunter does, a Hunter claim should save a player from a lynch unless he's far and away the wolfiest player of the bunch. There is zero benefit and enormous loss for lynching the Hunter unless he has a known wolf to target. ))

And even then, isn't it better to just lynch the wolf the hunter would have targeted? There's no reason to ever lynch a player who's claimed Hunter unless there's a counterclaim.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 02 Feb 2014, 11:38:24

necklessone wrote:And even then, isn't it better to just lynch the wolf the hunter would have targeted? There's no reason to ever lynch a player who's claimed Hunter unless there's a counterclaim.

(( Well-put, Neckles.

In before :roll: ))

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 02 Feb 2014, 12:15:19

What can I say other than that I find intentionally diminutive nicknames annoying?

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 02 Feb 2014, 12:20:39

GM Note: Sorry for not checking in earlier, but as a FYI, it's now 2:20 by my clock. EOD is in 6h40m.

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 02 Feb 2014, 12:21:23

Hellheart wrote:Well-put, Neckles.

necklessone wrote:What can I say other than that I find intentionally diminutive nicknames annoying?

necklessone is definitely no "neckles"-- that just feels wrong.

If you want to save some keystrokes, I suggest one of the following: neck<1, neck-1, or neck1

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 02 Feb 2014, 12:28:22

Ozymandias wrote:
Hellheart wrote:Well-put, Neckles.

necklessone wrote:What can I say other than that I find intentionally diminutive nicknames annoying?

necklessone is definitely no "neckles"-- that just feels wrong.

If you want to save some keystrokes, I suggest one of the following: neck<1, neck-1, or neck1

Statement: Those nicknames are still diminutive.

Query: How about Fecklessone?
Last edited by Hellheart on 02 Feb 2014, 12:28:56, edited 1 time in total.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 02 Feb 2014, 12:28:50

Ozymandias wrote:Also, GM, can the Witch target the same player on consecutive nights (assuming her power wasn't used on the first night)?

The Witch is not a GA, so there's no real "protection", per se.

That said, the witch is perfectly within his or her rights to save someone from the maul only to poison them the next night.

Not so much the other way around. :)

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 02 Feb 2014, 12:31:41

sphenodont wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:Also, GM, can the Witch target the same player on consecutive nights (assuming her power wasn't used on the first night)?

That said, the witch is perfectly within his or her rights to save someone from the maul only to poison them the next night.

That's not quite what I was asking.

If the witch tries to save someone on Night 1, but that player isn't mauled, can the witch then try to save that player again on Night 2?

FurinMirado
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby FurinMirado » 02 Feb 2014, 12:53:55

Dear Rekard,

I've noticed you've done a lot of talking but I'm not seeing a vote. You might want to get on that before EOD hits.

Sincerely,

FurinMirado

Simple_Simon
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Simple_Simon » 02 Feb 2014, 13:24:05

Anyone got a vote count, sorry haven't been paying much attention. Still building gazebos for everyone.
For what it's worth, though, his talking to himself is awfully entertaining.-sphen
You're adorable-Rave
he is a master bullshitter so he could just take things out of his own ass or whatever comes from his mind to argue.-Rekard

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 02 Feb 2014, 14:04:37

whhhhhy dooooon't weeee... have all the humans claim Hunter day 1? Then we'll have all the confirmed humans and the wolves won't be able to maul anybody!

((Hellheart, I also found your flow chart quite uproarious))

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 02 Feb 2014, 14:14:41

Simple_Simon wrote:Anyone got a vote count, sorry haven't been paying much attention. Still building gazebos for everyone.

Can I get my Gazebo in Chaotic Good? I think it'll tie the brickyard together...

Subject: Day 0 - A Place To Hang Your Hat

sphenodont wrote:GM Note: It's time to elect a Sheriff! Remember, votes can be retracted and moved around.

I"m presuming votes before this point don't count. Only your hairdresser knows for sure (mine is a Norelco, but you're changing the subject):

No Sheriff -8- Admetus, FurinMirado, necklessone, Ozymandias, Smirker, Hellheart, stigmata, 7-zark-7
Dferrantino -3- Dferrantino, Rictus, Ryvvn
Nitestorm -3- Nightstorm, Iron Clad Burrito, DastardlyOldMan
Rekard -1- Clearasday
Ravebomb -1- Blindsniper

EDIT: What is order of operations for Day/Night 1? If we elect Omar Sharif, and he is mauled during night 1, odds are good he won't have created a valid succession plan. Do we roll to the next candidate, or revert to a state of San Serif?

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 02 Feb 2014, 14:47:48

Ryvvn wrote:whhhhhy dooooon't weeee... have all the humans claim Hunter day 1? Then we'll have all the confirmed humans and the wolves won't be able to maul anybody!

((Hellheart, I also found your flow chart quite uproarious))

(( I've almost tied my record! ))

Ozymandias wrote:
sphenodont wrote:

If the witch tries to save someone on Night 1, but that player isn't mauled, can the witch then try to save that player again on Night 2?

Statement: The potion isn't consumed unless the player actually dies.

Commentary: I believe that her nightly list would cover all of the players that she would consume her potion reviving, should they die that night.

(( Since none of them are ever targeted unless they die, which consumes the potion, there'd be no consecutive-day targeting restriction. ))
Last edited by Hellheart on 02 Feb 2014, 14:52:04, edited 1 time in total.

Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Visigoth » 02 Feb 2014, 14:51:20

So Sheriff or no Sheriff to start with. Hunter reveal or no Hunter reveal. This is too much pressure for Day 0. Going to go to pieces just thinking about it... hmm, seems it's too late for that.

Going to buck the trend a bit and going with Simple_Simon for Sheriff. He did at least work to try and put me back together so he can't be all that bad.

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 02 Feb 2014, 15:03:34

Hellheart wrote:Commentary: I believe that her nightly list would cover all of the players that she would consume her potion reviving, should they die that night.

I don't know what this means-- are you suggesting that the potion automatically revives everyone who dies that day and/or night? I don't believe that's correct.

Hellheart wrote:(( Since none of them are ever targeted unless they die, which consumes the potion, there'd be no consecutive-day targeting restriction. ))

The Witch needs to target nighttime maul or reverse-vig targets BEFORE they die in order to save them.
EDIT: Whoops, my mistake. Sorry about that.

I'm simply asking the GM whether the Witch can target the same player for saving two nights in a row.
Last edited by Ozymandias on 02 Feb 2014, 16:47:41, edited 2 times in total.

Simple_Simon
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Simple_Simon » 02 Feb 2014, 15:08:33

Visigoth wrote:So Sheriff or no Sheriff to start with. Hunter reveal or no Hunter reveal. This is too much pressure for Day 0. Going to go to pieces just thinking about it... hmm, seems it's too late for that.

Going to buck the trend a bit and going with Simple_Simon for Sheriff. He did at least work to try and put me back together so he can't be all that bad.

Yay! I have a following.

I'm going to defer the conversation to tomorrow with a No Sheriff vote.
For what it's worth, though, his talking to himself is awfully entertaining.-sphen
You're adorable-Rave
he is a master bullshitter so he could just take things out of his own ass or whatever comes from his mind to argue.-Rekard

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 02 Feb 2014, 15:13:55

FurinMirado wrote:Dear Rekard,

I've noticed you've done a lot of talking but I'm not seeing a vote. You might want to get on that before EOD hits.

Sincerely,

FurinMirado

Dear Furinmirado,

I have drank a bittle of wine in 30 minutes today and more to come.I think I'm prepared for the Super Bowl. To keep it short, bite me.

Sincerely,

Rekard

I find the proposition of simple simon being a sheriff a compelling one. He can act crazy, but in the deep he looks out for the well being if his faction. And he isn't as random as Nightstorm or Ravenbobomb. And he can bullshit wolves pretty well. So I will endorse a simon sheriffhood. Or wait should I go for dferrantino? No. Just in case people change from the dumb no sheriff vote, we need to keep options open with various wagons so the wolves don't suddenly choose a wolf sheriff. I will go with simple simon

If the hunter is smart he will be deaf to these shallow suggestions of having him out in the open. Stressed wolves make mistakes. As long as you are hidden, they will be always asking "Is that guy a hunter?" Can you imagine them thinking that everyday a maul they choose might kill one of them? Ozy might deny it, but wolves get more tense for even less. I will repeat it, stressed wolves make mistakes. Stay hidden hunter!

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 02 Feb 2014, 15:45:39

Ozymandias wrote:
Hellheart wrote:Commentary: I believe that her nightly list would cover all of the players that she would consume her potion reviving, should they die that night.

I don't know what this means-- are you suggesting that the potion automatically revives everyone who dies that day and/or night? I don't believe that's correct.

(( This is from the Witch role information in the Rules thread, which you seem to have overlooked: ))

To help save time, you can send me a list via PM of the players you would be willing to use your potion to save, and I will assume it is current unless you update it or tell me otherwise. Additionally, at the end of each day, I will send a PM with the lynch and maul victims and if you can reply within five minutes, I will allow last-minute changes.

Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Rictus » 02 Feb 2014, 16:19:17

Wait wait wait...

Since this is the day 0 thread it's the perfect place to hash out this vague rule.

I was pretty sure that the witch powers were reactionary.

That is to say, she gets to decide *after* they die. In order to save time, she can submit a list ahead of time... but it isn't required.
Charming, to the last.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 02 Feb 2014, 16:24:29

Rictus wrote:Wait wait wait...

Since this is the day 0 thread it's the perfect place to hash out this vague rule.

That is to say, she gets to decide *after* they die. In order to save time, she can submit a list ahead of time... but it isn't required.

Observation: You are very...wooly. And very bad at First-Person Shooters.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 02 Feb 2014, 16:33:31

Ozymandias wrote:
sphenodont wrote:

Sorry if I was unclear. The witch's power isn't actually triggered until someone dies. I was saying they can put in a conditional "If X dies, save him, in case I'm not around at EOD."

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 02 Feb 2014, 16:44:38

Hellheart wrote:(( This is from the Witch role information in the Rules thread, which you seem to have overlooked: ))

To help save time, you can send me a list via PM of the players you would be willing to use your potion to save, and I will assume it is current unless you update it or tell me otherwise. Additionally, at the end of each day, I will send a PM with the lynch and maul victims and if you can reply within five minutes, I will allow last-minute changes.

I did miss that! Thanks a lot for pointing it out. That clears up a lot of my confusion.

Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Rictus » 02 Feb 2014, 16:47:21

Hellheart wrote:

[+] Unnecessary list that I made since I was watching the Super Bowl
Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom II, Marathon, Heretic, Hexen, Marathon II, Duke Nukem, Quake, Team Fortress, Marathon Infinity, Quake II, Rainbow Six, Unreal, Half-Life, Team Fortress Classic, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament, Quake III Arena, Counter Strike, Serious Sam, Ghost Recon, Halo, UT 2003, Rainbow Six III, Wolfenstein: ET, Far Cry, Doom 3, Halo 2, Brothers in Arms, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare 2

And my friends will confirm that I sucked at all of them.
Charming, to the last.

Ozymandias
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby Ozymandias » 02 Feb 2014, 16:53:07

Rictus wrote:Since this is the day 0 thread it's the perfect place to hash out this vague rule.

Agreed!

Which is why I'm going to ask another esoteric rules question:

If the Witch revives the Hunter, does the Hunter get to revenge Vig again the next time he dies?

Simple_Simon
Post Whore
Post Whore

Re:

Postby Simple_Simon » 02 Feb 2014, 16:53:47

Mr. Dixon wrote:
Mr. Costello wrote:
Mr. Dixon wrote:Wait wait wait...

Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom II, Marathon, Heretic, Hexen, Marathon II, Duke Nukem, Quake, Team Fortress, Marathon Infinity, Quake II, Rainbow Six, Unreal, Half-Life, Team Fortress Classic, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament, Quake III Arena, Counter Strike, Serious Sam, Ghost Recon, Halo, UT 2003, Rainbow Six III, Wolfenstein: ET, Far Cry, Doom 3, Halo 2, Brothers in Arms, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare 2

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama

That is all I have to add.
You're adorable-Rave

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 02 Feb 2014, 16:56:43

Ozymandias wrote:
Rictus wrote:Since this is the day 0 thread it's the perfect place to hash out this vague rule.

Agreed!

Which is why I'm going to ask another esoteric rules question:

If the Witch revives the Hunter, does the Hunter get to revenge Vig again the next time he dies?

Or does the revival negate the first kill attempt?

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Re:

Postby Hellheart » 02 Feb 2014, 17:16:07

Rictus wrote:
Hellheart wrote:

(( The simple fact that I remember that "Llama" was the 1990's version of "scrub" tells you how much I loved Counter-Strike; although I was probably better than you were, I still wasn't all that good. I just knifed everyone. ))

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 02 Feb 2014, 17:30:04

Hellheart wrote:

I am 100% certain that it would be in the Witch's best interest to not PM their list of potion targets to this man! bot! andriod! If you are the Witch, do not be swayed, and under no circumstances should you ever believe this to be a good idea!

Simple_Simon
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Simple_Simon » 02 Feb 2014, 17:39:08

David Dixon wrote:
Mr. Costello wrote:

I am 100% certain that it would be in the Witch's best interest to not PM their list of potion targets to this man! bot! andriod! If you are the Witch, do not be swayed, and under no circumstances should you ever believe this to be a good idea!

I'm no expert on these matters, however it seems to me Mr. Costello wasn't asking someone to PM him, he was quoting from the rules posting in front of town hall.

This one in particular viewtopic.php?p=18628#p18628
You're adorable-Rave

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 02 Feb 2014, 18:01:04

Simple_Simon wrote:woosh

Sorry, what was that, all I heard was the sound of the joke soaring past you :P

Simple_Simon
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Simple_Simon » 02 Feb 2014, 18:02:51

David Dixon wrote:
Bob the Builder wrote:woosh

Sorry, what was that, all I heard was the sound of the joke soaring past you :P

There is no humor in Bobsville.
You're adorable-Rave

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 02 Feb 2014, 18:32:22

Ryvvn wrote:
Hellheart wrote:

Negotiation: If the Witch does not have me on that list, I will vaporize her.

Continuation: In order to confirm that I am on that list, she must CC me on the PM to Sphenodont.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 02 Feb 2014, 18:40:35

Just fyi, I've got a house full of folks watching a lopsided football game. They prob won't clear out by EOD, which will still be at nine.

Things look pretty setlled, both with the sheriff vote here and the Werevampire vote in the other thread, though.

And the hunter shot only goes off it he is really really dead.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 02 Feb 2014, 20:09:12

I'll close this out and open the new threads in the morning.

Sorry for the delay... some minor issues came up.

Nitestorm
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Nitestorm » 02 Feb 2014, 20:16:16

Just quickly checking in, but I am truly shocked and terrified that there are those who would prefer no Sheriff to me being the Sheriff. Where is the logic in that? We should know by now that giving me more power is the only way to strike fear into those nasty humans wolves. :flail:

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 03 Feb 2014, 03:51:26

Day 1 opening up soon.

Return to “The Village Green”