Day 05: Like Shooting Wolves In A Barrel!

The centerpiece of our idyllic community. Just ignore the reddish-brown stains on the pavement...
Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Re: Day 05: Like Shooting Wolves In A Barrel!

Postby Hellheart » 09 Feb 2014, 10:52:14

Visigoth wrote:Still liking San even with the possible explanation of voting on Aldax. Also possibly adding Meta4 to the list. Part of the reason for both is yesterday's vote where Iron Clad Burrito cast a "throwaway" vote on Omega before apparently leaving for the rest of the day. At that time San and Meta4 were at 3 votes each, Rictus at 2 and with Iron Clad Burrito's vote putting Omega at 2 as well. Now at the time he had only one vote, but was there was the threat there from Ozymandias and others. So why make a throwaway vote when he could have put out a pre-emptive defensive vote on one of the other leaders.

My guess, other than fitting into the narrative below? Too many wolves on those wagons, or one is a wolf. If there's no wolf on San on Day 4 I'm going to eat Ryvvn's hat.

Looking at the votes in such detail gave me probable wolf narratives for Day 3 and Day 4:

Day 3, it looks like the wolves were willing to give up on Stigmata but wanted to protect ICB, who for the 2nd consecutive day casts a vote on Stigmata for human cred. San's vote on Aldax created an opening that the wolves hoped to exploit: vote up Stigmata and Aldax and hope that the humans don't keep voting ICB to keep up. Once Aldax was clearly going nowhere, whatever wolves hadn't yet voted would go for human cred by voting for ICB once Stigmata got enough votes or Stigmata if it were before then.

Day 4, it's painfully clear to me that the wolves had one goal: distract everybody from ICB. Don't talk about ICB, talk about other players, push other players hard, distract as much as possible. Two players are voted up to 3 and both get plenty of post heat, but nobody is voted up to 4 which would make ICB safe. ICB doesn't cast a defensive vote because it'll attract attention, and the wolves seem content to keep the highest vote-getter at 3. This tells me that there is almost certainly one, if not two, wolves at 2 votes there. San's Ozy vote provided great fodder for the distraction tactic, and this tactic worked annoyingly well - hell, even I forgot that ICB was still alive when I voted for twdog.

EDIT: I mean one or two wolves at 2 votes when San gets the 3rd vote from Visigoth, not at 2 votes in the final tally. If there is a wolf at 2 votes, the chances that the first tiebreaker vote comes from a wolf are higher than you would think.

I think the wolves would push San on Day 4 because his cryptic Day 3 post and his greater degree of involvement could feel like a power role. The only two power roles left are the Witch and Hunter, and the wolves want to lynch the Hunter ASAP because the longer they wait, the more accurate the hunter is likely to be.
Last edited by Hellheart on 09 Feb 2014, 11:50:56, edited 3 times in total.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 09 Feb 2014, 10:52:50

Not much activity since the last tally, but penalties are included.

twdog : 4 : Penalty, Rictus, Mister E. Meat
Aldax : 2 : Penalty
Mister E. Meat : 2 : Penalty
Augenvonsauron : 1 : 7-zark-7
FurinMirado : 1 : San
necklessone : 1 : Ryvvn
San : 1 : Visigoth
Visigoth : 1 : FurinMirado

No vote recorded (11) : Aldax, Augenvonsauron, BlindSniper83, Clearasday, DastardlyOldMan, Hellheart, Meta4, necklessone, Omega, Smirker, twdog

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 09 Feb 2014, 11:22:56

DastardlyOldMan wrote:So, anytime I'm analyzing CAD, I look at whether he's pulling a Charger-act again, to the point that CAD probably knows that. On Day 1, CAD did *not* self-vote for sheriff, despite being in a very close second place and ~campaigning for it the day prior. Assuming the Nitestorm Gambit that Ozy talked about was actually a plan and not a set of random events that met Ozy's paranoid interpretations :D , then the wolves would not want to become sheriff. I've been considering sheriff-self-votes as a human+ factor, and it struck me that CAD evaded the office (it might be that he just wanted to live until Day 2, though).

I cut this out of my analysis because it didn't really fit, but I noticed that the CAD Sheriff Wagon was pushed up very late, and 3 of the 5 votes cast for him during that surge come from confirmed humans or players I have strong human leans on. That's the main reason why I pretty much ignored the Sheriff vote, as Nitestorm became a runaway after he got his 6th vote and the wolves didn't really need to do anything at that point and could spread out instead.

The last 4 Sheriff votes were for CAD. There's no way the wolves had a chance to react - hell, CAD may not have had a chance to react.

EDIT: It can sometimes be difficult to find, but don't forget to look at Zark's analysis. He's pointed out very helpful trends a couple of times this game.
Last edited by Hellheart on 09 Feb 2014, 11:54:38, edited 1 time in total.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 09 Feb 2014, 11:54:37

redacted-was-FurinMirado.
Last edited by DastardlyOldMan on 09 Feb 2014, 18:50:56, edited 1 time in total.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 09 Feb 2014, 12:27:52

I can only find one very likely conditional based on expected wolf distributions: there is at most 1 wolf in [FurinMirado, Visigoth] as the first two lynch votes for Nitestorm on Day 1, which is far too early to pair up on anyone.

The prohibition against consecutive wolf votes flies out the window when a wolf is in lynch danger. On Day 2, with San's wagon almost entirely blue, there's at least one if not two more wolves on Dferrantino's wagon since Stigmata is at risk. On Day 3, there is likely to be another wolf on Aldax and 1 or 2 additional wolves on Stigmata for the same reason. On Day 4, if I discount the super-late Omega vote there's only one wagon that can realistically hold two wolves - the San wagon.

Mister E. Meat
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Mister E. Meat » 09 Feb 2014, 12:53:04

I'm totally not hearing the wagon on Furin. I'm getting a human feel from him.

Regardless of if Smirker, 7z7 or whoever is the witch - use your poison tonight please! Especially if you're on that confirmed human list but even if not, right now your odds are about 25% of hitting a wolf randomly and if you remove the confirmed humans, it shoots up to about 33%. Also I believe, given the current number of players, that it doesn't change the wolf win day even if you do poison the wrong person.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 09 Feb 2014, 14:13:53

DastardlyOldMan wrote:
Ryvvn wrote:[*]Rictus: Detailed on D4 why I voted for him on D4.

Double-check your reasoning with ICB's wolf reveal, please

Sorry, to clarify, I meant that my D4 reasoning for voting for Rictus was a bit self-contained; and I certainly have no intentions on pushing him today.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 09 Feb 2014, 14:31:00

Mister E. Meat wrote:I'm totally not hearing the wagon on Furin. I'm getting a human feel from him.

I feel the same; I actually spent about 30 minutes or so focused on him (before moving on to Neckless) while feeling out my own tracking notes, and he just didn't seem to ring any bad bells with me... not necessarily good ones either, I just felt nothing either way.

Not sure if I'll get a chance to put out some more player reads tonight, but the two players I'm feeling the baddest of juju from are Neckless and twdog. Neckless as detailed in an earlier post (and subsequently voted against today), and twdog because:
  • D1. Odd late singleton vote against Hellheart.
  • D2. 19 minutes after Ozy pulls off Stigmata dropping him to 5, the next vote is twdog pushing dferr up to 5 to tie (and then 7 minutes later Omega pushes San up to 5 as well).
  • D3. He's in that chunk vote I detailed earlier, with a push on Aldax, putting him one ahead of ICB's then 4 votes and tied with Stigmata's then 5. (I actually would have squatted on twdog that day if I hadn't felt the need to snipe Stigmata.)
  • D4. Did not vote; I realize real life can get in the way, but a missed vote can also help a suspicious person lose a little heat. (Sorta meta-gamey, sorry.)
So, while I'd like to sit on Neckless today, I'll definitely switch to twdog if the need arises.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 09 Feb 2014, 14:34:08

Hellheart wrote:I'm going to eat Ryvvn's hat.

Only if I get to eat your gun.

...wait, disregard that.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 09 Feb 2014, 14:35:04

sphenodont wrote:In that freaky way that witches reproduce.

Mrrrow.

Drazil, admit it... You were the witch all along

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 09 Feb 2014, 15:22:47

I'm not getting a wolf read from Furin's posts, but his votes are still what I'd expect from a wolf.

I think it's twdog for tonight.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 09 Feb 2014, 15:44:42

I held off to avoid a potential runaway bandwagon, but it looks like that twdog might end up being that way regardless.

Clearasday
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby Clearasday » 09 Feb 2014, 15:55:26

My defence: Had I been trying to throw ICB under the bus, I'd have done it with much more style than a simple vote like I did. Also, were I a wolf, I would not have mauled rekard the day he was voting another wolf. I mean come on, that death was just pointing at ICB. I refuse to be a part of that kind of wolf-team.

My attack: I was going to go for Visigoth but actually I'd like to come out and say that his posts feel quite human. Instead I'll go for Meta4 because I don't like how he feels, and also because this way I won't be shaking either of the main bandwagons, which I don't feel strongly one way or another for.

Why I didn't vote for myself as sheriff (thus making myself look wolfy apparently): I was asleep and us Englishmen don't vote for ourselves. It isn't proper.
THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE IS JUST CLEARASDAY.

Smirker
Post Courtesan

Postby Smirker » 09 Feb 2014, 16:03:43

Meta4

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353

Postby Omega » 09 Feb 2014, 16:08:52

[OOC: My excel workbook with my notes is on my work computer, so I now have to head in there if I want to say anything remotely intelligent. Damn it.]

FurinMirado
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby FurinMirado » 09 Feb 2014, 16:29:40

Well the Visigoth bandwagon is clearly not taking off. twdog is on my Most Wanted list so I'll switch to him.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 09 Feb 2014, 16:38:06

twdog : 7 : Penalty x2, Rictus, Mister E. Meat, necklessone, Hellheart, FurinMirado
FurinMirado : 3 : San, DastardlyOldMan
Aldax : 2 : Penalty x2
Meta4 : 2 : Clearasday, Smirker
Mister E. Meat : 2 : Penalty x2
Augenvonsauron : 1 : 7-zark-7
necklessone : 1 : Ryvvn
San : 1 : Visigoth

No vote recorded (6) : Aldax, Augenvonsauron, BlindSniper83, Meta4, Omega, twdog

Augenvonsauron
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Augenvonsauron » 09 Feb 2014, 17:04:35

Ooc: oddly out of character post. Swamped by problems with Inlaws and teaching class tonight. Typing on phone with less than 10% power. San no time or battery to provide detail or reasoning especially with not having read most of today's posts, because I can't. Apologies. Didn't want to miss vote.

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 09 Feb 2014, 17:32:28

Ninety minutes or so to EOD.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 09 Feb 2014, 17:35:06

I can see the case against twdog, I'm not sure that it really "does it" for me.

Meta4 has been on singletons every night, with the exception of last night (a doubleton.)

San's vote for Ozy yesterday throws up a lot of red flags, especially as I don't like the rest of his vote history.

Hrm...

Meta4
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Meta4 » 09 Feb 2014, 17:36:39

Wherefore art thou, DastardlyOldMan?
"...it continues to be a bad idea to give in to the urge to lynch Meta4." -Admetus

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 09 Feb 2014, 17:44:37

Meta4 wrote:Wherefore art thou, DastardlyOldMan?

Observation: Pointless votes like these are going to end up killing this meatbag.

twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire

Postby twdog » 09 Feb 2014, 17:53:01

Just got a PM that if I don't vote I'll be wog'd. I've had a hard time being engaged in this game for irl reasons. So it's just as well I'm going out today.

Also, Hellheart because I don't trust him and it doesn't matter anyway

Lastly, when I'm revealed as human you should pay attention to the people that took advantage of my penalty votes
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 09 Feb 2014, 18:12:34

twdog wrote:Just got a PM that if I don't vote I'll be wog'd. I've had a hard time being engaged in this game for irl reasons. So it's just as well I'm going out today.

Lastly, when I'm revealed as human you should pay attention to the people that took advantage of my penalty votes

You must have been paying no attention at all if you voted for Aldax over ICB as a human. I don't see how we can avoid a mislynch after a vote like that on top of the previous vote for Dferrantino. If it ends up being a mislynch, I don't mind taking some of the heat.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 09 Feb 2014, 18:18:40

Never mind the fact that Twdog is a foregone conclusion.

San tonight.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 09 Feb 2014, 18:25:52

Omega wrote:Never mind the fact that Twdog is a foregone conclusion.

San tonight.

If you want to try to set up a mass switch to FurinMirado to leave it up to DOM, you're welcome to. I feel like it'd be a copout for me to do that.

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Omega » 09 Feb 2014, 18:28:34

While I am always worried about Furin "Lone Wolf" Mirado, I'm not there yet on him this game.

Blindsniper83
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Blindsniper83 » 09 Feb 2014, 18:29:43

Furry Mirado
RaveBomb making a lot of sense is how you know you're past the point of no return and that death is the only escape.

Smirker
Post Courtesan

Postby Smirker » 09 Feb 2014, 18:34:42

Hellheart wrote:

Observation: Pointless votes like these are going to end up killing this meatbag.

Indeed.

[e]: Color removed from the quoted post to help make sure it is not construed as a change in my own vote.

twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire

Postby twdog » 09 Feb 2014, 18:37:34

Hellheart wrote:
twdog wrote:Just got a PM that if I don't vote I'll be wog'd. I've had a hard time being engaged in this game for irl reasons. So it's just as well I'm going out today.

You must have been paying no attention at all if you voted for Aldax over ICB as a human. I don't see how we can avoid a mislynch after a vote like that on top of the previous vote for Dferrantino. If it ends up being a mislynch, I don't mind taking some of the heat.

1) I suck at this game, both as a wolf and as a human

2) I've missed multiple days outright, almost missed this one if not for a GM PM, have barely posted, and I haven't even changed my avatar. I think it's pretty obvious that I am not, in fact, paying any attention at all.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 09 Feb 2014, 18:41:56

I art in the group of seered humans, that's where. I was worried people might sheep on me, but this is a bit of an extreme counter-measure.

e: Now I'm wondering if that wasn't a mispost, and intended for ~another forum. I mean, there shouldn't be a lot of confusion about the confirmed human group.
Last edited by DastardlyOldMan on 09 Feb 2014, 18:43:55, edited 1 time in total.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 09 Feb 2014, 18:42:05

Omega wrote:While I am always worried about Furin "Lone Wolf" Mirado, I'm not there yet on him this game.

If you think he's more likely to be a wolf than twdog, then that should be where you vote. Otherwise there's no point in levying criticism at the twdog voters.

EDIT: Then you just had the misfortune of casting the wrong votes, twdog. If you flip human then I'm going to be very interested in wolfier players that were counseling against voting for you but didn't actually try to push up a counter-wagon.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 09 Feb 2014, 18:58:45

Wanted to see who would follow onto Furin, but definitely agree that twdog is the better option.

Meta4's almost too clueless to have access to a wolf thread. Hate to waste a lynch on him, but might be a necessary evil.

If I get mauled tonight, I'll be passing the sombrero on to one of the more neutral players - I think that might give us more information - and give the wolves more targets - than just passing it along through the confirmed humans. I'm trading off a bit of voting power in the hope of pulling in more data.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 09 Feb 2014, 18:59:54

If I don't make it, don't forget about the redhead

More (or less) in a bit

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Return to “The Village Green”