Day 4 - The Folly of Man

You're in it.
dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Day 4 - The Folly of Man

Postby dferrantino » 26 Mar 2014, 19:29:54

There was celebration in the air that night. A second wolf! Everything was coming up Milhouse. Everyone seemed to have forgotten the whole...vanishing into thin air thing.

They didn't forget about the wolf thing, though. After an uneasy night's sleep, the cliques formed again. The discussions ebbed and flowed, and the accusations flew. Though it had been peaceful the day before, the sound of gunshots rang out again, and again there was nothing to show for it.

You gathered again in the auditorium, eager to see the results of your scheming and plotting, and eagerly placed your votes into the hat.

However, when the hat got to Rictus, he was already gone. The lights went out, the projector went on, and on it you saw Rictus, asleep in his bed, slowly fading away.

Rictus - Lynched - Human

There was outrage! How could he take Rictus away without tallying the votes!?

"QUIET!" he shouted, in a voice that shook you all to the core. He took the hat, poured out the votes:

Vote Totals:
Rictus - 5 - rekard, Admetus, Visigoth, Ryvvn, DastardlyOldMan
Mister E. Meat - 3 - That PJ, Rictus, Aldax
Okaros - 2 - Meta4, stigmata
Aldax - 2 - 7-zark-7, FurinMirado
DastardlyOldMan - 2 - sphenodont, Hellheart
Visigoth - 1 - Nitestorm
That PJ - 1 - Mister E. Meat
stigmata - 1 - Okaros

How did he know?

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Re: Day 4 - The Folly of Man

Postby 7-zark-7 » 26 Mar 2014, 20:46:46

dferrantino wrote:How did he know?

That is, indeed, the question. There were many conversations happening, yet all I could think about was... Her. She was lost in a sea of her own design, and I felt her pain. It was a ragged blade that runs across the skin, cutting sinew and bone, leaving a wound that would not heal. Such was my life without her.

Should I fight? Or should I invite that all-encompassing grief in for another visit? It’s been eons, but the conceit that time heals all wounds is just that. It's not as keen... Or it’s not as present. It’s just as keen but not as present. But it will always accept the invitation. Grief will always accept the invitation to appear. It’s got plenty of time for you.

The light in her eyes had faltered, and I was worried that she might be thinking of that other option. I had stared at that option, face to face, during the darkest period of my days - after the fall... and I also had debated if my life had been worth continuing.

Rational thinking had demanded that I fulfill that one final promise. The only one that I had made to *her*. The covenant had been kept at no inconsiderable expense, and I had been shocked to realize that somewhere during that quest to fulfill my promise, that somehow my life had become worth living after all.

The smug bastard. I had a feeling he knew all along. He always did.

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Meta4
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Meta4 » 27 Mar 2014, 06:09:13

Sphendont? Oh, I just Sphenodid.
"...it continues to be a bad idea to give in to the urge to lynch Meta4." -Admetus

Mister E. Meat
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Mister E. Meat » 27 Mar 2014, 07:48:28

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

And rekard said "Hey not so fast!
You want to know the truth?
To see if I'm a wolf or not
requires someone's sooth!"
The Walrus gave a funny look
then glanced at his eyetooth.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 27 Mar 2014, 10:19:46

i knew there was something I liked about Egon. retracted, was Rekard made an overture at the start. He wanted to dance with the devil in the pale moon light.

And then, when we were dancing close, he attempted to stab me in the back with his gom jabbar

He thought he was a vigilante - more delusions of grandeur, & the reason we call today The Folly of Man.

There's only one way to find out who is right, and who is dead. But to suggest I should fear his action is to forget free will. We are empowered, wired if you will, to take both chances and offense when the world would attempt to stay our hand.

We must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain

More in a bit,

7z7

Edit: Blue eyes of Melange Addiction
Last edited by 7-zark-7 on 27 Mar 2014, 18:29:03, edited 1 time in total.
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 27 Mar 2014, 10:45:42

Would you look at yourself Zark. How many people are you talking with? I think you are sending several distress signals to try and lynch me. And this attempt of mass seering has been foolish given that it has made me highly human now, which is even more suicidal for you.

It's really peculiar how you always think of me game after game to the degree it seems almost personal. Why do you do that instead of playing the game?

And from all those you talked to, who will you be betraying in the end if you have not already? You have overextended your reach. Talking to so many people with the purpose of seering that people just don't trust you, hence why I receive PMs with all your intentions towards me. Guys, I would suggest you all maul Zark, since someone who talks with so many is bound up to betray you.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 27 Mar 2014, 10:54:54

rekard wrote:It's really peculiar how you always think of me game after game to the degree it seems almost personal. Why do you do that instead of playing the game?

And

Subject: Day 1 - Meeting Your Maker

rekard wrote:BAM!

Hello Rekard - you're looking well. Getting enough fiber? Good, good.

Although there are those who would read this as me taking offense, I simply wish to see if you are the vigilante you claimed to be on day 1.

It's entirely possible that you were, in which case, today didn't actually happen. You'll wake up, as if from a dream, & realize that Bobby Ewing is alive in your shower.

If we discover tonight that you were shooting blanks, it's just one more soul committed to the hearafter. Perhaps you'll go to heaven, perhaps not. In every sense of the term, I am not here to judge. I am here to invite free thought, discussion, and conviviality.

But there's only one way to find out. In a hundred years, will actions from today matter to any man woman or child? I do not believe so, but would invite you to join me for a drink before the end draws neigh.

More in a bit,

7z7

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 27 Mar 2014, 13:18:58

rekard wrote:Would you look at yourself Zark. How many people are you talking with?

I was taking inventory just the other day and I couldn't find my Talk to Everyone-inator anywhere. At the time I figured that it was accidentally destroyed when Perry the Platypus foiled one of my evil schemes. If you wanted to borrow it you could have asked, you know; the devil knows why you didn't bother asking.

That PJ
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby That PJ » 27 Mar 2014, 13:25:49

Putting down a vote on Retracted: Visigoth
Last edited by That PJ on 27 Mar 2014, 18:58:24, edited 1 time in total.
PJ's general resignation towards fate is good enough. -Okaros
Then he went and shot himself, saved me and got himself lynched because of it. You magnificent fool! -Mister E. Meat

Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Visigoth » 27 Mar 2014, 14:36:39

So after finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow I was thinking about what to do with it. Obviously it would be given away since I could always find another, but wouldn't you know it sphenodont tried to take it from me. Even my good friend The Dude can't abide that.

Stay superpositioned my friends.

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 27 Mar 2014, 15:34:37

a little bit silent aren't we? let's just vote for MEM
Last edited by sphenodont on 27 Mar 2014, 16:59:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tags
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 27 Mar 2014, 16:02:15

Aldax wrote:[color=0000FF]a little bit silent aren't we? let's just vote for[/color]MEM

See what I mean, Perry the Platypus? It's been two whole days and Aldax still has broken color code. This is why you never go close to rekard.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 27 Mar 2014, 17:05:15

Visigoth wrote:So after finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow I was thinking about what to do with it.

That's not gold. It's highly processed Bismuth. I told you people would never believe what we use it for (and really, you'll still never get it). It's amazing how well it works, especially as most presume we'd go the traditional fool's gold route.

Iron pyrite is unstable in the natural environment: in nature it is always being created or being destroyed. When exposed to air and water, it decomposes into iron oxides and sulfate, & this is hastened by the Acidithiobacillus bacteria.

Sulfate released from decomposing pyrite combines with water, producing sulfuric acid, leading to acid rock drainage and potentially acid rain, but that's nothing compared to the dust explosions.

The stuff is sufficiently exothermic that underground coal mines in high-sulfur coal seams have occasionally had serious problems with spontaneous combustion in the mined-out areas of the mine. I could go on & on about autoignition temperatures vs flash points, but must stress we are speaking about point heat of a finely dispersed combustible substance, which has existed in an anaerobic environment for thousands of years. People come in search of their riches, and find fools goal amongst coal. Surely one is valuable? But the oxygen they bring, the moisture every man carries, starts the process, and it only takes a spark to set off a chain reaction.

Similarly, It's also lead to many rumors about portals to my domain - picture if you will a dark cavern, deep in the bowels of the earth in a non-volcanic area. It's lain quiet for as long as anyone can remember, & then the mining starts, when the earth is pillaged, one resultant cavern is hotter than it has any right to be. Later, the entire cavern bursts into flames, & those who don't burn fall to hypoxia. A ring of destruction evoking an angry god or demon, and a subsequent ring of the fallen with terrified looks on their faces who fell fleeing for their lives. The urban legends practically wrote themselves.

But I believe I'm missing the point. I've been around for a long long year, and Rekard hasn't responded to my offer of a drink. A shame that. I have a perfect vintage picked out and everything, and no plans for anyone to burst into flames...

More in a bit,

7z7

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 27 Mar 2014, 17:08:14

Visigoth wrote:So after finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow I was thinking about what to do with it. Obviously it would be given away since I could always find another, but wouldn't you know it sphenodont tried to take it from me. Even my good friend The Dude can't abide that.

Filthy, filthy lies. What use have we for gold?

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 27 Mar 2014, 17:48:32

Time has not been on my side this game, so Zark I haven't been able to talk.

But I know that whatever you did, it just made me much more human than a day ago. So your lynch reasoning is not only poor but really bad for this type of game. You are trying to lynch people in hopes of being a player being human.

Now, I wonder where your betrayal will lie. You want people to be discarded as seers for you to become one yourself, or what? Something is missing there. You're planning shenaningans.

Let's go with the poor planning Zark.

And off I go. I can't return later.

But either way, let's go with a Zark vote.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 27 Mar 2014, 18:07:24

Oh, it's always six-one-way, absolute-value-of-the-square-root-of-thirty-six-the-other in here. But, better the devil that you know. . .

rekard

Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Visigoth » 27 Mar 2014, 18:08:52

sphenodont wrote:
Visigoth wrote:So after finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow I was thinking about what to do with it. Obviously it would be given away since I could always find another, but wouldn't you know it sphenodont tried to take it from me. Even my good friend The Dude can't abide that.

Filthy, filthy lies. What use have we for gold?
Many years ago someone called me a liar. It didn't end for him. You might know it as the end of the Cretaceous period.

FurinMirado
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby FurinMirado » 27 Mar 2014, 18:18:02

sphenodont

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 27 Mar 2014, 18:22:35

Hrm. Who let the dogs out, indeed?

(Well, not really dogs. Mostly-but-not-quite-resolved-dogs.)

Mister E. Meat (retracted), I'm looking at you.
Last edited by sphenodont on 27 Mar 2014, 18:59:21, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Retracted vote.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 27 Mar 2014, 18:26:06

Hrm. I think this is right?

Vote Totals:

rekard - 3 - MEM, 7-Zark-7, DOM
sphenodont - 3 - Meta4, Visigoth, FurinMirado
MEM - 2 - Aldax, sphenodont
Visigoth - 1 - That PJ
7-Zark-7 - 1 - rekard
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 27 Mar 2014, 18:29:15

rekard wrote:But I know that whatever you did, it just made me much more human than a day ago. So your lynch reasoning is not only poor but really bad for this type of game. You are trying to lynch people in hopes of being a player being human.

Hello Rekard, you're looking well. Getting plenty of fiber? Good, good.

This is a game of informed vs uninformed. My information was that you wanted to trend wolf. And I want to thank you for verifying what I already suspected: last night's efforts were successful, and you are now trending human. As you are valuable to the human cause, I am calling off my fatwa, and have redacted my vote. I would encourage others to do the same.

It's interesting to watch, people playing games with powers they don't understand often are motivated by enlightened self interest. But it's the enlightenment that's the key.

So, I've brought you to the mountain, where you can look out over the kingdoms of the earth, and choose your place. Will you join me for a drink?

More in a bit,

7z7

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 27 Mar 2014, 18:55:38

Oh I see how it is, Zark, you're not even going to admit that you stole one of my -inators. What kind of person takes an -inator and doesn't even cop to it when he's found out?

That PJ
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby That PJ » 27 Mar 2014, 18:59:12

There's something mysterious about Mister E. Meat. Moving my vote.
PJ's general resignation towards fate is good enough. -Okaros
Then he went and shot himself, saved me and got himself lynched because of it. You magnificent fool! -Mister E. Meat

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 27 Mar 2014, 18:59:25

Votes people? You have a minute left.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 27 Mar 2014, 18:59:28

Zark, for not scratching that itch.

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 27 Mar 2014, 18:59:43

Zark (bold)
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sphenodont » 27 Mar 2014, 18:59:58

7-zark-7 for preservation. Sorry, buddy.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 27 Mar 2014, 19:13:33

Vote Totals:
7-zark-7 - 5 - rekard, Hellheart, Ryvvn, Okaros, sphenodont
sphenodont - 3 - Meta4, Visigoth, FurinMirado
rekard - 2 - Mister E. Meat, DastardlyOldMan
Mister E. Meat - 2 - Aldax, That PJ

Return to “The Box”