Day 0 - A dull crossing

twdog
Adorably Paranoid Vampire
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Day 0 - A dull crossing

Postby twdog » 06 Dec 2013, 09:43:35

The crossing to Mars has gone well enough, I suppose. At first it was terribly exciting! Seeing first London from the air, and then Earth from space was a thrill of a lifetime! You were quite sure that nothing would ever compare with that moment, and that this voyage will never fade from your mind. Of course, you also thought that the first time you were in love, so who can really say? Then again, I suppose this trip isn’t going to end in betrayal, tears, and violence, so there’s that at least.

Sadly, it didn't last. It turns out that, after an initial burst of excitement, a long trip starts to get incredibly dull and eventually you crave it’s end. Not unlike that first romance, actually.

The sparse entries in your diary certainly attest to the monotony. Just look at these:

6th September - We departed to much fanfare. Some upset at dock involving police. Looking forward to meeting all my fellow travelers!
7th September - My fellow travelers are tedious and I find their presence odious
15th September - Rumor has it that a Martian passenger was murdered prior to departure! Wonder if police at docks was related
19th September - Heard a howling racket in the corridor; it was a pack of monkeys in medical. They were sent with us for an experiment of some kind. Most annoying.
20th September - At dinner, an engineer talks at length of ancient Martian machinery. Such rot! Machines with living minds indeed!
2nd October - Steerage passengers noisy again. Why can’t they shut up! At least they’re better than the monkeys
11th October - War with the Boers in Africa! Some fear the war could last for years! Also, spent a pleasant afternoon in the Greenhouse
15th October - Ship security very bad, passengers wander through ship’s compartments at will during all hours
19th October - I twisted my foot, but I didn’t want to go to medical. Everytime I go there I swear those damnable monkeys are watching me.
23rd October - A Venusian caused mass offense today by ignorantly calling the Queen a German
3rd November - Lecture on martian history, but what’s to say about a fallen race? Millennia ago they achieved things we still can’t understand, now they’ve forgotten all that, living by the canals of their great forebearers. Sad, really.
10rd November - Held a funeral for a young passenger that died of a heart attack. One of the Martians said he hoped the deceased’ next life would go better. The Martians really don’t understand us, do they?
12 November - At dinner, one of the passengers talked about their exhilarating experiences on the Martian skyships. Can’t travel the stars like our stout Human ships, but decent none the less
17th November - War in South Africa concludes, orbital battleships decisive
21st November - Someone was out in the solar sail control room. That entire area now sealed off.
22ed November - Someone making a racket in the hall close to midnight, I went out to see who it was, but no one was there. Damn their rudeness!

Dull pointless entries indeed. Still, we’re getting quite close to Mars now, so soon this will be over and you can get to your real business down there. You’ve got a number of opportunities lined up, so you really hope to get thingS started off with a bang!

--

Cycle 0 has no lynch or maul, but does have night actions. Your roles should be out now. If you’re a wolf, please let me know if you can’t see your board.

Please feel free to ask questions, either here or in a PM if you’d prefer.

Day 0 ends at 7:00 PM MST on Sunday the 8th.

Thanks for signing up to play and I hope you enjoy it.
you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Re: Day 0 - A dull crossing

Postby rekard » 06 Dec 2013, 11:34:42

Such a boring trip.

How shall I remedy this?

I know!

*kicks Rave in the nuts*

Har har har. Such a hearty laugh this has given me.
Does someone fancy an omelette?

I miss sphenodont. I heard he had an accident with an ironing board, a nail and a cucumber.

RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore

Postby RaveBomb » 06 Dec 2013, 12:24:18

*eeeee.........*
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
RB: I shot the seer didn't I? Omega: Of course you did.

Augenvonsauron
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Augenvonsauron » 06 Dec 2013, 12:47:59

Lady Red gracefully set in a deck chair that had bee laid out in the greenhouse, sipping one of those odd concoctions those American's dream up. Far too sweet in her opinion, but it at least let the mid day glow from the distant sun feel a tad bit warmer. This passage had gotten far too tedious for her liking. The line had contracted an excellent harpsichord player, but after several hours of Brahms Pour some Sugar on Me, even that got dull. So she was sitting here, watching the solar system float by sipping bad American cocktails. Bother it all. Her Grandfather, the Grand Duke Von Sauron would never tolerate such a paltry lack of entertainments. There were always the Monkeys she supposed.

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 06 Dec 2013, 13:03:20

I grab a cup of chamomille tea, adding a cube of sugar and a dust of cinnamon. Then my plan begins.

RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic

Postby RaveBomb » 06 Dec 2013, 13:22:44

Does your plan involve kicking me again? If so count me out your plans from here on out.

Augenvonsauron
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Augenvonsauron » 06 Dec 2013, 13:42:30

Gentlemen, please no roughhousing on the Promenade Deck. Take it down to Steerage if you must, unless you can't stand the odor....

RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic

Postby RaveBomb » 06 Dec 2013, 13:49:48

Your odor is quite pleasant. Unlike that of some of the other people present...

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 06 Dec 2013, 14:01:43

Yeah. Zark, gee. Take a bath. Here I give a bar of totally not venomous soap so Rave's nose isn't hurt.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 06 Dec 2013, 14:26:14

Welcome fellow humans! I am either greatly pleased or horribly dismayed to spend this entire day in the Central Passageway with every other passenger of this ship! We should pass the time by ritually poisoning ourselves in order to better enjoy each other's presence and "loosen up!"

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 06 Dec 2013, 14:29:04

RaveBomb wrote:Does your plan involve kicking me again? If so count me out your plans from here on out.

You reap what you sow. But yeah, it doesn't involve kicking.

But it involves you, a 2 year old Sontaran, a Renuzit air freshener and a Enterprise modeled spatula.

RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic

Postby RaveBomb » 06 Dec 2013, 15:00:21

I am ... emotionally ... erect.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 06 Dec 2013, 15:10:09

Woah, good thing Day 0 is the full weekend, I'll be needing all that time to wrap my head around this game's mechanics... also to fabricate a high-def map board and paint player mini-figs ((joking... probably... but would be cool for this one))

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 06 Dec 2013, 15:22:17

rekard wrote:
RaveBomb wrote:Does your plan involve kicking me again? If so count me out your plans from here on out.

You reap what you sow. But yeah, it doesn't involve kicking.

But it involves you, a 2 year old Sontaran, a Renuzit air freshener and a Enterprise modeled spatula.

...something something bunkroom.

(This is Me Posting In This Thread)

Okaros
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Okaros the Exploder

Postby Okaros » 06 Dec 2013, 16:19:10

I cannot wait to return to Barsoom. Finally visiting the "Earth" that Virginia is always talking about was enjoyable, but I far prefer to have proper red soil underneath my feet.

(Any problems reading this particular shade of green, anyone? My alternative would be this dark red, but I'd prefer the green to match Tars Tarkas' skintone. )
I kind of assume Okaros is out to backstab me until proven otherwise. - DOM

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 06 Dec 2013, 16:40:22

Rekard wrote:But it involves you, a 2 year old Sontaran, a Renuzit air freshener and a Enterprise modeled spatula.

HMS Enterprise the British sailing ship? A fine choice for your spatula, I say.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 06 Dec 2013, 17:26:52

Admetus wrote:
Rekard wrote:But it involves you, a 2 year old Sontaran, a Renuzit air freshener and a Enterprise modeled spatula.

I found this cool voice modulator somewhere in a flea market because humans go shopping and I like shopping!

Tally-ho old chap. Would you fancy a cup of tea?

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 06 Dec 2013, 18:03:25

(( Excerpt from a walkthrough that I've found for this game ))

You start the game in [Central Passageway] with nothing in your inventory.
Move to [1st Class Staterooms A].
look at Vibrating Door for a funny message.
Walk to the 4th door from the entrance. look at door, then enter keycode. +5 POINTS.
Walk into the room and walk into the side-room on the left. You can't see yourself, but you need to be as far left as possible. look at sink, then take wedding ring. +10 POINTS.
freshen up for +2 POINTS (use sink will only get you 1 point and the other point becomes UNATTAINABLE).
Walk to the bed. open suitcase, then enter keycode. So now we need to find a way to hack open your own suitcase.
But first, look under pillow, take tooth, look under bed, chase away bogeyman. +1 POINTS, +2 POINTS

Rictus
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Rictus » 06 Dec 2013, 18:52:00

Hello all. I see the evening has passed. I thought I had posted earlier but it was on the subway so guess it didn't go through. Cheerio
Charming, to the last.

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 06 Dec 2013, 21:38:05

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:(This is Me Posting In This Thread)

As opposed to what other threads?

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 06 Dec 2013, 21:39:11

Okaros wrote:Any problems reading this particular shade of green, anyone?

Perfectly acceptable to my color-loving eyes

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 06 Dec 2013, 21:41:52

Hellheart wrote:(( Excerpt from a walkthrough that I've found for this game ))

Type "Quit"; hit return

Enter "Y" after prompt; hit return

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 06 Dec 2013, 23:15:08

Ryvvn wrote:
Iron Clad Burrito wrote:(This is Me Posting In This Thread)

As opposed to what other threads?

...I see 4 threads In This Board. You got somethin' I need to know about there, fella? :p

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 07 Dec 2013, 00:16:12

Ryvvn wrote:also to fabricate a high-def map board and paint player mini-figs ((joking... probably... but would be cool for this one))

Here ya go!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 07 Dec 2013, 10:07:38

Some times I wish I had avoided Chalmun's Cantina that day. In retrospect, musical theater was not my calling after all, but you're changing the subject. A few beers, open mike night, and an Ithorian who talked out of both sides of his neck convinced me that I had a future on the stage, and booked me passage on the next one off planet. The bottom line, I should have listened to Chewie.

I always got the impression that he and that Artoo unit knew more than they let on about larger events. I, for example, was always a fan of the rare earth theory - It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them could be inhabited.

This one is too far from it's sun, that one is too close, the third lacks sufficient large gas giants in the outer planets to sweep up interstellar debris, resulting in extinction level events (asteroid strikes, Filene's Running of the Brides, or that oft-whispered travesty known only as Fox News).

The bottom line is there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

The crowd at the cantina proved my theories were wrong, or that I was the victim of said deranged imagination.

The long story short is I now find myself Solo aboard this ship. This living ship: liftwood and ether screw drives were no match for a good blaster at your side, but the captain confiscated all weapons on boarding.

And Rekard was looking at me funny, making insinuations about ancient Chinese torture techniques and the things he wanted to do to my rocks. :?

Perhaps smuggling wasn't an ideal line of work for an artist like myself, but old habits die hard. I had a feeling someone had a cache of helpful gear onboard somewhere. I just had to look.

More in a bit,

7z7

(OOC: The nanowrimo experience was educational, but showed me I've been spending too much time on dialog, and not enough on unspoken narrative and world building. You may see less multicolored conversation in this round than usual as a result)
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

twdog

Postby twdog » 07 Dec 2013, 10:10:50

7-zark-7 wrote:The bottom line is there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

you're the time cube guy?

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 07 Dec 2013, 10:34:28

twdog wrote:you're the time cube guy?

Now that's an interesting website... I hadn't heard of it, but Google is my friend. No... No I'm just Solo here. There was no time to discuss this in committee before the HMS Bandersnach lifted, although the term was a bit of a misnomer. The ship hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't, reminding me oddly of the previous night's revelry. I have mixed my cocktail of RP from the usual sources (section you quoted is from Douglas Adams, while the underpinning character is a steampunk Han Solo who leaves his previous life behind to travel on this ship of yours...), and mixed in a liberal helping of my own malaise and a pinch of salt. We can't have this be a dull crossing, after all.

OOC: What in-universe reason do we have to lynch Ravebomb wolves in this space opera? Will the ship be threatened by an infestation of Ponies or something?

More in a bit,

7z7
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 07 Dec 2013, 12:56:56

(( Avatar change to Lawrence from Ratchet & Clank. Mal is going to be too difficult to RP well throughout ))

*sigh* I leave for an hour to press some linens and Mal manages to disassemble himself. Again. I'm sure I'll get around to putting him back together sometime before this trip is over.

EDIT: Actually, doubleswitch, this appears to be a perfect game for Mitch Hedberg.
Last edited by Hellheart on 07 Dec 2013, 13:34:25, edited 1 time in total.

twdog

Postby twdog » 07 Dec 2013, 13:03:54

7-zark-7 wrote:OOC: What in-universe reason do we have to lynch Ravebomb wolves in this space opera?

You'll have a good reason tomorrow.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 07 Dec 2013, 13:38:25

twdog wrote:
7-zark-7 wrote:OOC: What in-universe reason do we have to lynch Ravebomb wolves in this space opera?

Wolves have fangs and are aggressive. If I see a wolf on this spaceship, I am not going to say "that wolf sure looks dangerous, but let's not jump to conclusions." I am going to run to the kitchen, and get some barbecue sauce, and put that shit on somebody else. "Don't eat me, eat him. He is now much tastier."

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 07 Dec 2013, 14:16:45

In the last map game, I think we knew about secret cultist entrances (the things vanilla villagers were mainly searching out) and even the FBI faction before the game began. I'm assuming if twdog has a reason to hold that back from Day 0, it's most likely the USEable rooms and such that will add a lot more activity at night. Or maybe he's just hoping for a lot more FOLLOWing.

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 07 Dec 2013, 14:54:00

Admetus wrote:In the last map game, I think we knew about secret cultist entrances (the things vanilla villagers were mainly searching out) and even the FBI faction before the game began. I'm assuming if twdog has a reason to hold that back from Day 0, it's most likely the USEable rooms and such that will add a lot more activity at night. Or maybe he's just hoping for a lot more FOLLOWing.

Man, this ship is already confusing enough. There's a room full of water with no bridge, and there's a room with a Bridge but no water. Somehow nobody thought about the possibility of combining the two.

Meta4
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Meta4 » 07 Dec 2013, 18:30:25

I didn't read the rules at all, but I understand this is a map game. I don't know what that means, but it sounds like fun!
"...it continues to be a bad idea to give in to the urge to lynch Meta4." -Admetus

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 07 Dec 2013, 18:47:33

Admetus wrote:

Oh the ignorance.

I will enlighten you. As this is what I refer to

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 07 Dec 2013, 21:19:28

Meta4 wrote:I didn't read the rules at all, but I understand this is a map game. I don't know what that means, but it sounds like fun!

(( I know it's not your typical MO, but for this one you really either need to read the rules or PM twdog asking for a basic synopsis of what you should do. You have 12 rounds that you need to do something in for every single night, unless you really want to spend the entire game waiting in Central Passageway. ))

twdog

Postby twdog » 07 Dec 2013, 22:02:17

I can't say I'm very impressed with the crew on this liner.

It's been bad enough that there is a complete lack of security, with people wandering the ship at all hours, but at least staff was attentive. Now they've sunk to a new low by virtually ignoring us! Don't tell me there's no one available, because I see them scurrying all over the ship.

The problem obviously stems from the top. There we were this evening dining at the table of Captain Nathaniel P. Chadwell, when some underling brought him a message. And without a word he gets up and leaves! Just like that! What an appalling lack of decorum!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 08 Dec 2013, 06:40:27

twdog wrote:I can't say I'm very impressed with the crew on this liner.

It's been bad enough that there is a complete lack of security, with people wandering the ship at all hours

Odds are they're also looking for the gods damn bathroom. The open bar at launch day was a nice touch (even if the drinks were watered down), but in my experience, you're only renting the Corellian Ale. In retrospect, I was glad Luke wasn't around. Don't get me wrong, Jedi have tricks to let them metabolize alcohol a bit differently (I wouldn't say better) than us mere mortals. I've seen him drink enough to knock down a gundark, but you're changing the subject:

More in a bit,

7z7

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 08 Dec 2013, 08:02:49

How now. "Full amenities" - I'm certain that the brochure stated that we would have full amenities here, but I've been perusing this brochure, and I can't seem to find the squash court anywhere. Is that near the gym, maybe? Hmmm... I'll be in the smoking lounge.

twdog

Postby twdog » 08 Dec 2013, 08:28:01

Is it just me or did there use to be more people on this liner? I see all of our 1st class passengers, so it doesn't matter ... still, it's a bit odd.

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 08 Dec 2013, 08:28:27

They only have e-cigs in there though. I checked while totally not trying to set up a nicotine bomb that would give instant emphisema to Zark.

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 08 Dec 2013, 08:53:20

twdog wrote:Is it just me or did there use to be more people on this liner? I see all of our 1st class passengers

Right, so there's exactly the same number of people. :)

stigmata
ass triaging people

Postby stigmata » 08 Dec 2013, 09:05:56

I'd like a Despotic room, please. Above the Sunbaking Deck.

Mister E. Meat
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Mister E. Meat » 08 Dec 2013, 11:41:55

DastardlyOldMan wrote:How now. "Full amenities" - I'm certain that the brochure stated that we would have full amenities here, but I've been perusing this brochure, and I can't seem to find the squash court anywhere. Is that near the gym, maybe? Hmmm... I'll be in the smoking lounge.

Speaking of filling amenities, can someone point me toward the poop deck?

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 08 Dec 2013, 11:45:31

twdog wrote:

twdog wrote:I can't say I'm very impressed with the crew on this liner.

It's been bad enough that there is a complete lack of security, with people wandering the ship at all hours, but at least staff was attentive. Now they've sunk to a new low by virtually ignoring us! Don't tell me there's no one available, because I see them scurrying all over the ship.

The problem obviously stems from the top. There we were this evening dining at the table of Captain Nathaniel P. Chadwell, when some underling brought him a message. And without a word he gets up and leaves! Just like that! What an appalling lack of decorum!

twdog wrote:Is it just me or did there use to be more people on this liner? I see all of our 1st class passengers, so it doesn't matter ... still, it's a bit odd.

???

edit: I know this game is especially weird and complicated, but is it normal for GMs GM twdog to post like this?

Hellheart
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Hellheart » 08 Dec 2013, 12:40:52

Ryvvn wrote:edit: I know this game is especially weird and complicated, but is it normal for GMs GM twdog to post like this?

twdog wrote:you hear an odd muffled noise in the shoggoth tank

(( I actually don't think it's THAT complicated...well, if you use conditional night actions it'd probably be more complicated, but otherwise not that bad. It's certainly more complicated than your normal WW game, but it's more about trying to piece together whatever hints we get to figure out what's going on beneath the surface. At least twdog gives us a chance to find out :P ))

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 08 Dec 2013, 13:16:14

Ryvvn wrote:edit: I know this game is especially weird and complicated, but is it normal for GMs GM twdog to post like this?

Good against remotes is one thing, good against the living is another. Gods willing, we're not up against the dead (again). I have a feeling TW is choosing to reveal the main game mechanics amongst narrative. Reference to missing passengers (and police presence at launch time) are likely the seeds which will flower in tomorrow's OP.

More in a bit,

7z7

twdog

Postby twdog » 08 Dec 2013, 13:19:17

I hate to do this publicly, but does anyone have a contact for blindsniper83? Like on Steam or something? I need him to check in

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 08 Dec 2013, 13:31:04

Regarding blindsniper83, twdog wrote:I need him to check in

Retracted, was blindsniper83

More in a bit,

7z7
Last edited by 7-zark-7 on 08 Dec 2013, 16:03:56, edited 1 time in total.

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 08 Dec 2013, 13:46:28

twdog wrote:I hate to do this publicly, but does anyone have a contact for blindsniper83? Like on Steam or something? I need him to check in

I have him on Xbox Live, and have pinged him there, but records show he hasn't been on there in 3 weeks.

twdog

Postby twdog » 08 Dec 2013, 14:10:01

Iron Clad Burrito wrote:
twdog wrote:I hate to do this publicly, but does anyone have a contact for blindsniper83? Like on Steam or something? I need him to check in

I have him on Xbox Live, and have pinged him there, but records show he hasn't been on there in 3 weeks.

thanks

Return to “Promenade Deck”