Day 9: A Howling Good Time

Adventure, the great outdoors, and near-certain death.
The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Day 9: A Howling Good Time

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 22 Sep 2016, 23:47:21

Desperate to clear his name, asbath went back to his office for more bullets. He wouldn't be known as the Sheriff that killed a human on his first day on the job! He would find the last wolf if it killed him.
Jrsthethird saw asbath coming and darted into the closest shop.
"Stay back, man! I know you're the wolf!" Jrsthethird yelled.
"Well, that's too bad. Because I know the wolf is you." asbath smiled, knowing he was making the right choice. He unloaded his gun through the window. There was a dull thud...and then silence.
asbath ran inside. Jrsthethird was on the floor, gasping for breath. Surprisingly, asbath had managed to shoot him twice, but he wasn't quite dead yet.
asbath was a little confused..."Aren't you, like...supposed to grow a whole bunch of fur now or something?"
A low chuckle came from the door behind them. There stood Jehos...or what used to be Jehos. The creature was wearing his clothes, and it spoke with his voice, but it was bigger. Furrier. Hungrier.
Jehos took his time savoring asbath piece by piece. He ate asbath from the feet up, leaving the head for last so asbath could keep screaming. Jehos enjoyed a little dinner music.
Lickings his fingers clean, Jehos turned to Jrsthethird, who still lay there, dying and horrified.
Jrsthethird closed his eyes, bracing himself for what was to come. Jehos clamped his teeth around Jrsthethird's ankle...and let go.
Jrsthethird yelped in pain. "Come on, get it over with!"
Jehos shrugged. "Nah. I was thinking, it's going to be lonely here by myself. It might be nice to have a friend."
"What?! You're turning me into a werewolf?!" Jrsthethird was livid. Then again, he noticed his bleeding had stopped, and his labored breathing had stabilized. But no-
"I won't let you turn me into a monster!" Jrsthethird pulled himself to a standing position. The only thing that still hurt was the ankle Jehos had bitten.
"It's too late for that. It's already done. You'll be a werewolf by morning!"
With that, Jrsthethird pushed past Jehos and limped as quickly as he could into the woods. He kept going until he couldn't walk any longer. His ankle and the foot below it were getting really swollen, and he had to rest. He came to a stop on the shore of a large lake.
As night fell, Jrsthethird could sense his gunshot wounds healing completely. He could also feel the hair getting longer on every part of his body. Why wasn't his ankle getting any better?
Mustering his courage, he crept closer to the water to view his reflection in the moonlight.
Jrsthethird was surprised to see he didn't look as wolfy as Jehos did. He looked like himself, just really, really hairy. And with a stupid swollen big foot.

To this day, people still search for proof of Jrsthethird's existence in the Pacific Northwest wilderness. Some have been lucky enough to snap a quick blurry photograph, but the debate continues, and his legend lives on.

Jrsthethird - lynch attempted - human ---> Sasquatch
asbath - mauled - human

FINAL TALLY:
Jrsthethird - 3 - Jehos, asbath x2
asbath - 1 - Jrsthethird

WOLVES WIN

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Re: Day 9: A Howling Good Time

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 22 Sep 2016, 23:49:29

Thanks for playing my first game, everyone!

(for the record, JRS was human the entire game. I decided to make him a Sasquatch purely for flavor.)

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 23 Sep 2016, 00:00:16

The Fairy Catmother wrote:Thanks for playing my first game, everyone!

(for the record, JRS was human the entire game. I decided to make him a Sasquatch purely for flavor.)

:slow_clap:

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 23 Sep 2016, 00:58:04

#thanksomega

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 23 Sep 2016, 01:27:05

Jrsthethird wrote:

#thanksomega

I think it was Gungnir that took it to Sasquatch level.

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 23 Sep 2016, 01:45:52

But #thanksgungnir doesn't have the same kinda ring to it.

Blindsniper83
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Blindsniper83 » 23 Sep 2016, 04:50:17

:shake:
So next time i call out a wolf on a found out wolf...... LYNCH him lol.....
:shake:
RaveBomb making a lot of sense is how you know you're past the point of no return and that death is the only escape.

Gungnir888
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Gungnir888 » 23 Sep 2016, 05:39:53

Great game, FCM! I had a (non-dysentery related) blast.

Jehos
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby Jehos » 23 Sep 2016, 05:45:46

Agree, this version was crazy fun. And appropriately deadly, it seems like 3 people died on more than half the days.
DAMN YOU RICTUS!!!

Mister E. Meat
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Mister E. Meat » 23 Sep 2016, 07:21:21

Thanks FCM!

Jehos, I think you saw it already but IMO you got really, really lucky by missing day 1. Who knows how it would have turned out but since that day had 2 wolves on the chopping block your vote there would have been really illuminating.

Next game, I'm going to vote to lynch anyone who misses a vote the day a wolf is in trouble merely on principle.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby dferrantino » 23 Sep 2016, 08:09:45

Well played, Jehos.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 23 Sep 2016, 09:17:22

Good game! Well played, Jehos.

asbath
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby asbath » 23 Sep 2016, 09:19:30

Jehos wrote:Agree, this version was crazy fun. And appropriately deadly, it seems like 3 people died on more than half the days.

Why you damn dirty hairy-man-thing!

Well played, all. I read Jrs' argument of me as a wolf as noise, not a logical human. Dammit!

I'll forever go down in TWG history as The New Guy Who Killed Every Legit Human.

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 23 Sep 2016, 09:21:28

That just means you'll fit in fine here!

Jehos
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby Jehos » 23 Sep 2016, 09:31:40

asbath wrote:
Jehos wrote:Agree, this version was crazy fun. And appropriately deadly, it seems like 3 people died on more than half the days.

Well played, all. I read Jrs' argument of me as a wolf as noise, not a logical human. Dammit!

I'll forever go down in TWG history as The New Guy Who Killed Every Legit Human.

It's ok, IIRC my very first game I was a solo wolf and won also. You get chucked straight in the deep end here.

Look at the upside, you did a good enough job looking human that you made it to the end and got picked to be sheriff.
DAMN YOU RICTUS!!!

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 23 Sep 2016, 09:43:05

Thanks for the game FCM! the maul mechanics were fun, and well played, Jehos, I never suspected you
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Anzig
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby Anzig » 23 Sep 2016, 10:03:58

Mister E. Meat wrote:Thanks FCM!

Jehos, I think you saw it already but IMO you got really, really lucky by missing day 1. Who knows how it would have turned out but since that day had 2 wolves on the chopping block your vote there would have been really illuminating.

Next game, I'm going to vote to lynch anyone who misses a vote the day a wolf is in trouble merely on principle.

This makes me think the penalty for a wolf missing a vote isn't severe enough.

I'm not complaining about the game. It was fun, and mad props to Jehos for playing a great game. But it sorta feels like there's a structural problem. At it's heart, this is a game of information asymmetry. By denying the humans information on a vote, the wolves gain an advantage which really isn't balanced by a single penalty count the next day.

Maybe make the penalty count permanent. Or maybe he turns 'mad' and there's a (mad wolf/total wolf)% chance that the maul target is random. Just wondering if there should be something more to it. *shrug*

asbath
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby asbath » 23 Sep 2016, 10:14:48

Jehos wrote:
asbath wrote:

It's ok, IIRC my very first game I was a solo wolf and won also. You get chucked straight in the deep end here.

Look at the upside, you did a good enough job looking human that you made it to the end and got picked to be sheriff.

Oh god I love going off the deep end feet first. So much more fun. It was a helluva time trying to learn to read all of you. I have much to learn!

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 23 Sep 2016, 11:21:05

Anzig wrote:

I'm not complaining about the game. It was fun, and mad props to Jehos for playing a great game. But it sorta feels like there's a structural problem. At it's heart, this is a game of information asymmetry. By denying the humans information on a vote, the wolves gain an advantage which really isn't balanced by a single penalty count the next day.

Maybe make the penalty count permanent. Or maybe he turns 'mad' and there's a (mad wolf/total wolf)% chance that the maul target is random. Just wondering if there should be something more to it. *shrug*

The penalty would need to be the same for a wolf or human...or kept secret from the players. If we have a stricter policy for the wolves, and a human misses a vote, their humanity is confirmed when they don't suffer the harsher consequences.
But I agree it should be harsher. It was my first game as a GM, so I didn't want to come out the gate WoGing everyone who missed one vote. I stuck with what I've seen done.
It's tough to solve.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 23 Sep 2016, 11:34:26

asbath wrote:

I did something very similar - mafiauniverse guys came calling looking for our best and brightest to participate in a multi-forum mortal kombat.

Unfortunately, they sent me. I drew the role of serial killer (nightly reloading vigilante human) and single-handedly killed more humans than the entire wolf team combined. Good times.

Speaking of murder-death-kill: Fairy Catmother, you complete me. This was a very fun game, even from the sidelines. I mean, you had everything - a unicorn dying in a flood, his severed head showing up in Twdog's bedsheets, a Sasquatch, Dysentery, an out seer playing games with people's lives, an out wolf playing Yahtzee with people's bones, a trigger happy Sheriff with poor aim and nothing to lose, and Rekard getting gunned down in cold blood.

On the Zarkowski Flavortext scale, I hereby proclaim this to be certified fresh - well done Catmother, well done.

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 23 Sep 2016, 11:58:47

asbath wrote:

I convinced myself you wouldn't budge your vote. I was really second-guessing you but I didn't look hard enough at Jehos. I did earlier in the day, but paranoia set in. I knew when you switched and Jehos was quiet that we were done.

Funny thing is if you didn't switch he could have followed my lead and still won via coin flip if I had stayed on you.

necklessone
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby necklessone » 23 Sep 2016, 14:56:19

Thanks for the game, FCM! And go Jehos!

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 24 Sep 2016, 07:21:25

7-zark-7 wrote:
asbath wrote:

I did something very similar - mafiauniverse guys came calling looking for our best and brightest to participate in a multi-forum mortal kombat.

Unfortunately, they sent me. I drew the role of serial killer (nightly reloading vigilante human) and single-handedly killed more humans than the entire wolf team combined. Good times.

Speaking of murder-death-kill: Fairy Catmother, you complete me. This was a very fun game, even from the sidelines. I mean, you had everything - a unicorn dying in a flood, his severed head showing up in Twdog's bedsheets, a Sasquatch, Dysentery, an out seer playing games with people's lives, an out wolf playing Yahtzee with people's bones, a trigger happy Sheriff with poor aim and nothing to lose, and Rekard getting gunned down in cold blood.

On the Zarkowski Flavortext scale, I hereby proclaim this to be certified fresh - well done Catmother, well done.

More in a bit,

7z7

Thanks very much, Zark!

Mister E. Meat
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Mister E. Meat » 28 Sep 2016, 10:21:17

Anzig wrote:

The issue is that most games, a day 1 missed vote really doesn't tell that much. In this game however, where we had two wolf bandwagons on the first day, it would have been really illuminating to see where Jehos voted.

I honestly don't know how to correct for this in a sustainable way.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 29 Sep 2016, 14:09:09

Mister E. Meat wrote:I honestly don't know how to correct for this in a sustainable way.

Lynch Jehos if anyone misses a vote? I admit, it seems harsh, but he just killed ~everyone~

(Seriously, good game Jehos)

More in a bit,

7z7
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

Jehos
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby Jehos » 29 Sep 2016, 14:37:24

7-zark-7 wrote:
Mister E. Meat wrote:I honestly don't know how to correct for this in a sustainable way.

Lynch Jehos if anyone misses a vote?

It's a fair cop, guv.
DAMN YOU RICTUS!!!

Return to “Greenhorns”