DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
TWG 1 Posts: 1517
TWG 2 Posts: 322
custom_title: The Meta King

TWG Elementals II

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 08 Aug 2018, 10:02:31

Ebeneezer McCoy read the summons one more time, and sighed. Now, of all times? Well, it was the prerogative of Merlin to perform the renewal ceremony, but damned if he couldn't have picked a worse time. The Black Council was getting desperate, and Hell knew that the ceremony would be just what they needed to make a reckless power grab. Sure, their hand might get tipped, but the potential power gain would sure as hell make it worth the risk. Course, that worked both ways - might be that the Grey Council could root them out with a little subterfuge and a whole lotta luck.

---

Game One Billion (or whatever) will follow a similar ruleset to our first game on the newest boards, Game LVIII. I'm going to the world of Harry Dresden for this one, but very loosely. No knowledge of the source material is required (Black Council is bad, mkay?), nor will any material be considered canon or respectful, etc., etc.

Most players will be given an element (there may be some non-elementals in the game), and each night, players will target someone with those elements. Combinations of targeting will grant temporary abilities; the larger the combination of powers, the more powerful the ability, up to and including permanent abilities. The wolves will, beside the maul, have the ability to corrupt one or more targets. If their corruption target gains a power, that power will have negative consequences for the player using it (or will benefit the wolves in some other way).

For this game, I'm simplifying a bit more, and players won't have words, per se, but just elements. Those elements will be randomized (with GM-balancing) in order to avoid meta-gaming, so there may be four fire elements and only two air elements. I would suggest that you not make too many assumptions about this game based on the last game, because I'm hopefully learning from my past mistakes and making glorious new mistakes.

From the last game, however, as the elements are removed from the game, corresponding elements could become more powerful (still working out the kinks, there).

Copying a bunch of stuff over from the last game to provide examples and such:

[+] Rule Details
Concept: This should be a very low-powered version of Everyone's Special that requires a certain level of coincidence in order to become really special. Each regular villager will have a power element, broken out into the four main elements (or more, as necessary). Each night, villagers choose a target for their element. The elements combine to form powers, which can then be used during the next day/night cycle. The elements are associated with different power types: offensive, defensive, vision, and manipulation (think vote manipulation, PM capability, and the like).

This means that no one* has a power to start with, but people gain temporary powers. It takes at least two elements to form anything useful, and the elements react with one another in different ways.

These are not actual examples or "recipes", but represent what could hypothetically happen.
Example 1:
Mortus is targeted by two Air powers and a Water power. They combine to grant Mortus the one-time ability to seer the allegiance of a target, but the ripples spread out and tell five random players who was targeted.]

Until they saw the power in action, no one would know that their targeting resulted in a power capability, and in the case of a seer capability, it would take two days to culminate (first night for element-targeting, second night for seering). Mortus ~could come out and tell people that he seered someone, and then powers that targeted him might choose to target him again. There could be powers that have instantaneous results: FurinMirado explodes during the night, goes insane, etc.

[Example 2:
Rictus is targeted by two Fire powers and a Corruption. He will be granted a vig ability that will backfire when he attempts to use it.]

The Corruption powers are partly a balance mechanism to prevent the "Everyone with Air target Mortus today" approach (or the wolves just kill Mortus).

Given no normal seer / vig / GA, and the level of coincidence required to grant powers, the number of wolves will be slightly lower than normal.

There will be a Day 0 round of targeting to keep the first day interesting.

[Example 3:
twdog is targeted with two Air powers and an Earth power. He will be granted a seering of the target's elemental type, but it will take two days to get the results - the earth interferes with the Air.]

The powers that wolves gain may be different than the powers that non-wolves gain. In the case of upgraded powers (four of a kind, one-of-each), that could include a one-time conversion.

Minutiae:
  • Day votes should be bolded and colored.
  • Anti-sniping rules are in effect - the day will not end for at least 30 minutes after the last vote or power usage - no stall tactics permitted.
  • Night actions, which almost everyone will have, should be submitted via PM to me. In order to make my life easier, I'd prefer something along the lines of Night 1 Target: <name>. If you wish to change targets, please let me know that you're retracting for ease of sorting - I'll take the latest target, but it's theoretically easier on me if I can get everything in one place.
  • No self-targeting. Self-targets will simply be ignored.
  • Regular powers must be used in the next 24-hour cycle. If you get a vig shot, you either take it or lose it. If you get a seering or PM capability, use it or lose it.
  • The GM will not be a targetable entity at any point in the game.
  • Being targeted by all words of a particular element, or by one word of each element, will result in enhanced capabilities, potentially non-temporary.
  • Targets will only know what their gained powers are, not necessarily what elements were used. This is to prevent "testing" players on who-did-you-target questions that wolves would not be able to answer.
  • The wolves will have covers.
  • Missing a vote will result in a loss of both word-targetting and powers for the next day cycle. Multiple missed votes may result in further penalties, up to and including the Wrath of DOM.

24-hour days that will extend to 48 hours to cover absences.

Days will end no earlier than 22:00 Eastern.

e: Tentative Day 0 will be Tuesday, August 14th, with Day 1 commencing the day after - keep in mind that Day 0 is not entirely fluff, as there will be power targeting going on in the Night 0 timeframe.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Re: TWG Elementals II

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 08 Aug 2018, 10:02:50

Player List (14):

7-Zark-7
dferrantino
Ryvvn
RaveBomb
Visigoth
Jrsthethird
Admetus
Aldax
Omega
rekard
IronCladBurrito
stdio
sphenodont
The Fairy Catmother

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 08 Aug 2018, 11:06:43

EIGHT YEARS! Man, you guys are old.

Ars thread is up as well.

dferrantino
Post Nympho
Post Nympho
TWG 1 Posts: 0

Postby dferrantino » 08 Aug 2018, 11:33:52

In

Ryvvn
Teflon Coated

Postby Ryvvn » 08 Aug 2018, 11:38:58

In

RaveBomb
New Lunar Republic
New Lunar Republic
TWG 1 Posts: 1221
TWG 2 Posts: 812
custom_title: Custom Title Whore

Postby RaveBomb » 08 Aug 2018, 11:42:10

In
If our team loses, it's going to be entirely your fault.-rekard
If you still end up losing after this, it's totally not your fault.-Hellheart
RB: I shot the seer didn't I? Omega: Of course you did.

Visigoth
Post Harlot
Post Harlot

Postby Visigoth » 08 Aug 2018, 13:36:45

Wind blows... Fire Burns... Water Falls...

In

Jrsthethird
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Jrsthethird » 09 Aug 2018, 02:14:32

In

Admetus
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet
custom_title: Birthday Boy

Postby Admetus » 09 Aug 2018, 09:11:56

In!

Aldax
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)
phAnt0m burn3r (Age 13.5)

Postby Aldax » 09 Aug 2018, 11:46:05

Consider myself in
Moral of the story: Never self-vig. - rekard

Omega
Post Harlot
Post Harlot
TWG 1 Posts: 2422
TWG 2 Posts: 353

Postby Omega » 09 Aug 2018, 12:02:55

In of course.

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 09 Aug 2018, 22:08:25

Visigoth wrote:Wind blows... Fire Burns... Water Falls...

In

Earth just kinda sits there.

#Vote for: in
"Zark Helmet is too awesome NOT to use!" -Smirker
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 12 Aug 2018, 09:30:49

I will play

Iron Clad Burrito
Propmaster Emiritus

Postby Iron Clad Burrito » 12 Aug 2018, 13:29:36

In, baby.

stdio
Wolf Padawan
Wolf Padawan

Postby stdio » 12 Aug 2018, 20:52:38

in

sphenodont
Overlord
Overlord
TWG 1 Posts: 1671
TWG 2 Posts: 737

Postby sphenodont » 13 Aug 2018, 10:55:03

IN

The Fairy Catmother
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby The Fairy Catmother » 14 Aug 2018, 13:32:45

In! I make my return!!!

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 14 Aug 2018, 14:37:43

The Fairy Catmother wrote:In! I make my return!!!

Woo hoo! Welcome back FCM
"The possibility that it's Zark simply murdering someone at a whim each day... would be delightful if true, but I worry that that's too simple a solution." - Okaros

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 15 Aug 2018, 09:26:59

Still fighting with the power chart a bit; bear with me for another day or two, folks (it will totally be worth it!)

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 15 Aug 2018, 11:36:01

DastardlyOldMan wrote:Still fighting with the power chart a bit; bear with me for another day or two, folks (it will totally be worth it!)

I can send you my favorite pivot tables if you’d like. They’re the stuff of legend over here

(Semi serious sidebar: we have critical production systems which haven’t been updated since 2015. How on earth have we stayed on the air?)

More in a bit,

7z7

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 15 Aug 2018, 13:14:12

Remember that the anti Zark element goes to me

7-zark-7
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby 7-zark-7 » 19 Aug 2018, 06:56:04

Wait. We have anti Zark elements?
I don’t feel so good.

rekard
Post Nympho
Post Nympho

Postby rekard » 20 Aug 2018, 09:59:53

What it actually does is make you switch the words there/ their/ they're and your/ you're so you always use the wrong word no matter what.

DastardlyOldMan
Post Strumpet
Post Strumpet

Postby DastardlyOldMan » 20 Aug 2018, 13:24:45

Roles are sent, Day 0 should be open. Yell, scream, and writhe in horror if you didn't get a role PM and were expecting one, or if you can't see the appropriate stuffs.

Return to “New Game Signups”